Another Stuck Ferm - Yeast 'hulls' or Notty

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RootsUltimate

Reaction score
So I'm brewing a Belgian strong ale and I am currently at 1.032 after 4 weeks.

It's a partial mash with the following grain bill:

35% 5.0# Pale Liquid Extract
21% 3.0# Vienna Malt
21% 3.0# Munich Malt Extract
7% 1.0# Aromatic Malt
7% 1.0# Special B Malt
4% 10oz Wheat, Torrified
4% 8oz Victory Malt
(1 oz each of vanguard, crystal, and hersbruck hops)
Mashed at 155 for 75 minutes. Original gravity was 1.086

I used a platinum white labs abbey IV yeast. Made a starter that worked well and kicked off big fermentation in about 6 hours. I just checked it after 4 weeks to see if I could bottle soon. It should be down in the high tens but instead was at 1.032. It's been fermenting in a 70 degree room and I've already roused it after week 2 (and again today).

I did an IIPA around the same time using the same pm technique and went from 1.084 to 1.012 in 4 weeks using safale. I think my mash is solid (despite low eff) and expected better from the platinum yeast...

My question is: should I attempt adding yeast hulls (the 'brewer's yeast' in health food section) or should I dump in the pack of notty I have in the fridge. My goal is of course to get the gravity down but also to preserve the flavor of the abbey yeast.

Thanks for the thoughts,

KAS

Thanks, I did already move it to about 73/74 but have not seen a change in the past 2 days. Hopefully that's all it needs and I'll give it another week there...

Back