Received my Hop Plants

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerCanuck

Reaction score
I just got my hop plants in yesterday;

Hop_Plants_May_13th.jpg

From left to right we have 2 Hallertauer, 2 Williamette, 2 Cascade.
The shipping only took a day but some of the plants look a bit wilted.
I plan on transplanting from the 1" square pots to 5" pots today (might be root bound I figure). Hopefully they will improve so I can plant them later this month when the chance of frost declines.

Cheers
BeerCanuck

Nice looking plants. I just can't beleive that those are 1" pots. I did not know you could get them that small. I ordered rhizomes and they were shipped bare (no dirt) and were 5-6" long. I must say your plants look better than the twigs I received. It took my rhizomes a couple weeks to look like that. I'm curious to see how quickly yours take off.

One inch pots? I'm impressed. Any company that can get a viable hop plant in a pot that small must really know what they are doing. I would start the hardening off process as soon as they revive from the shipping/transplanting. A couple hours of afternoon sun will do them.

I double checked the size of the pots after transplanting them to 6" pots..they were 2" pots originally. I purchased the hops last year from Richters but the season was getting late so I held off till this season. I was impressed on how quickly they shipped using Canada Post Express. Not sure how well an order originating from the States would work.

Cheers
BeerCanuck

How long did it take between ordering the hops and delivery. I've ordered some plants from them and am already getting impatient.

Thanks

How long did it take between ordering the hops and delivery. I've ordered some plants from them and am already getting impatient.

Thanks

Hi ryank
I ordered the hops last year but the season was late so I held off till this year.
I inquired when they would be shipping the hops about a month back and they informed for mid May. I got an email notification that the ordered shipped and the next day they showed up.

Cheers
Steve

So I planted the hops 2 weeks ago and they are looking pretty good;

HopPlants2weeks.jpg

I have them growing on garden spikes which they are outgrowing rapidly. I still need to build a trellis but when I was taking a closer look at the leaves of the plants I saw these weird looking bugs;

HopBugs.jpg

What are they and are there countermeasures needed?

Steve

I can't exactly tell from this angle, do they have tall wings? Those could be mayflies (Do you live near water?) If so they are harmless, they don't even have a mouth. May be something else though.

The wings look too long to be fungus gnats, but you might want to look into those. They're a PITA and strive in wet/humid conditions. Hopefully your soil isn't too saturated?

I heard they might be mosquitoes from a landscape guy another guy mentioned that there is no damage yet so they should be ok. I do water the hop bed with the coolant water from my brew day using a hose with holes to water the bed evenly once its down to a reasonable temperature.

I am not sure what those bugs were but there young started eating the leaves on the bigger Hallertauer hops. I sprayed them down with insecticidal soap and they seem to be recovering;

Hop_June30th.jpg

Cheers
Steve

Back