Electric BrewGaLoo 2.0 Automated Brutus 20 8-Valve System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Emjay,

Of course you can! Just let me know how I can help, I'm not an expert in anyway just figuring things out as I go. One thing I did for about a week was keep the Brewtroller IRC channel up on my desktop. Come home from work and read the back log, nice to have others ask the questions and I just sit back and take it all in :)

My system is running off the BT3.3, which has been replaced by 4.0 and now DX1. In a dream world I would later upgrade to the DX1 and use it for ferm control, brewery, etc. That thing will be able to do it all, but also comes at a higher price point.

I got an email from GreatBrewEh that my pumps are shipping next week, that means all parts will be in. I want to do things right so I'm probably going to wait till I can use a drill press to cut holes in my enclosure. The disadvantage to living in a condo :(

Hi

With anywhere near 20 valves, you will have multiple valve closing / opening at the same time. Diode logic is your friend. Run the valves off of DC (24V is a good pick) and diode vote them. That gets your actual control lines down by half or more. Diodes are *cheap* relays cost money.

Bob

Squeeky said:
Emjay,

Of course you can! Just let me know how I can help, I'm not an expert in anyway just figuring things out as I go. One thing I did for about a week was keep the Brewtroller IRC channel up on my desktop. Come home from work and read the back log, nice to have others ask the questions and I just sit back and take it all in :)

My system is running off the BT3.3, which has been replaced by 4.0 and now DX1. In a dream world I would later upgrade to the DX1 and use it for ferm control, brewery, etc. That thing will be able to do it all, but also comes at a higher price point.

I got an email from GreatBrewEh that my pumps are shipping next week, that means all parts will be in. I want to do things right so I'm probably going to wait till I can use a drill press to cut holes in my enclosure. The disadvantage to living in a condo :(

Thanks. I love the name for your brewery too... wish I'd thought of that!

I wasn't aware that the DX1 eliminates the need for a separate Fermtroller. I'm building a ferm chamber/workbench right next to my brewstand (indoors), so that's definitely something I wanted. My computer also happens to be in the same room (and I even ran Cat6 to the corner between the brewstand and ferm chamber), so it definitely gives me the functionality I want. That's pretty much clinched it for me!

It won't be for a few months until I'm ready to buy all the valves I need - just spent a ton on 3 Blichmann kettles and a stainless commercial exhaust hood and pot-washing sink - but are you going to be selling those valves anymore? Around August/September I'll be ready to buy them.

Let me know I've got two other members that want a couple. I'll order 50 when I know 30 are wanted. Just can't afford to be sitting on them. When you need valves just let me know, usually takes 10-14 days for wire to clear and receive.

Squeeky said:
Let me know I've got two other members that want a couple. I'll order 50 when I know 30 are wanted. Just can't afford to be sitting on them. When you need valves just let me know, usually takes 10-14 days for wire to clear and receive.

Cool, sounds good.

Looking forward to updating this project. I'm headed to my father's workshop on the 4th to get my enclosure finished.

I'm currently a partial mash, BIAB, brewer. Set up is a typical 5-gallon extract, with two carboys, 9 brews in bottles, 1 in keg.

I'm planning to go high automation HERMS over the next year. I'm not getting younger (54) so transferring is an issue. Started planning this summer. Right now I'm thinking 3 kettles, but I'm carefully considering 2 as well.

Just purchased Arduino. Next I'll automate BIAB process.

Love this place. I'll be watching and posting. :)

Thanks SMc0724,

Good luck with the BIAB automation, I chose 2 vessels for size and simplicity. Currently using a 3 vessel HERMS, but if there is any chance of wife letting me brew indoors, it's gotta be compact. I also didn't want anything smalled then 10gal batches.

No pictures yet, spent most the day working on conical article and how to for BYO.

Enclosure still needs flange sockets cut, SSR heatsinks mounted, and a few other things externally. I did get the removable plate cut for valve wiring, dc pumps, temp sensor and pressure sensor. I hope to get the rest cut tomorrow morning before heading back home. Man I'll miss having use of this workshop.

It's Alive!

ForumRunner_20120806_104951.jpg

You know you have neglected your project when it moves to the second page or a 2 pg subforum :)

I will mention I'm back at it, purchases a tool & die set in order to mount everything on my back panel. I'm also looking into new vessels and using the SS immersion chiller for HERMS and to mount pressure dip tube on. I've been using a stationary HERMS in my current system and would love to be able to remove the coil. Plus you can't beat stainlessbrewings $89 shipped for 50ft coil.

My major concern now is how big is too big on the new vessels. I want to be practical but I also when to get the most bang for my buck. I have a keg tool and SS solder so adding couplings isn't really an issue, actually hoping to build a keg tool for 1" couplings as well for element. With a single 5500w element I think I could easily do 15gal batches, but my DC pumps are only rated for 3gal/m. Granted everything would be automated, but when does the volume become soo big the pumps take too long.

Squeeky

Looking good.

I'm in the early planning stages of upgrading to an automated brutus 20 setup myself.

I will be following closely to steal... I mean be inspired by... as many of your ideas as possible.

Just wanted to let everyone know that this project is not dead. In fact it will soon be a Zombie and come back to life. I landed a new job and can focus on my toys again after work.

Found a great deal on compression fittings, so that completes my stainless hardware. Now I have to order the correct o-rings for compressions 1/2" 1/4" and I'd like to put o-rings on the valve input terminals.

I can't seem to upload my excel file, but currently I have a two pump system with two racks and am trying to make the flow automated. I'd like to find most efficient valve configuration. I don't see anything that is extraneous for my setup.

To hi-jack this thread I'm also interesting in :
load cell design for correct dough in, mash & sparge, and after boil volume/mass.
*given a certain recipe I should be able to say with a defined grain schedule what my efficiency is. (I most always use 2 row malt)
So I should know about what what my mash gravity and final should be.

*assume that the difference between final and initial mass was a loss of ~8.33 lbm/gal of boil off. If I know the starting mass and gravity. I should be able to say when the boil is done

*and get an accurate boil off rate or boil water mass per hour for the correct timing of hops with final volume.

Alternatively I go all-out and get a coriolis meter for boil and fermentation for .1% precision density and flow rate measurement.

I want to eliminate variation that is not designed.

http://www.boulevard.com/brewing-toys-densitometer/

excel valves and pumps.png

Back