So I got some spare equipment, and I want to serve stout...help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stilgar

Reaction score
So short version of the situation is thus. After a buddy if mine I helped get into homebrewing ordered a keg system for himself, he didn't realize his wife got him one for his birthday. So I now inherited a new co2 tank/regulator and keg to add to my gear. I have no idea what I'm going to do with the spare tank.

So while enjoying a graff I pondered about stouts. Seeing as I recently resurrected my kegerator and I'm moving my brewing into Stout country I had to ask myself if I could use this co2 tank and a stout faucet. I believe somewhere here I read you DO need nitro for the stout, but I also thought I saw adapters for co2 tanks to convert to nitro regulators. Is this possible?

I only ask because given the price of a nitro setup + stout tap I wanted to see first if I could use this tank to some good vs having it stare at me and mock me from the brew closet. I just wanted to know what the best options might be for me here. I am enjoying stouts and found a few good recipes to tinker with so just makes sense to upgrade my system.

You do need nitro for serving through a nitro (stout) faucet, but you don't need either to serve a stout. If you want to serve on nitro, I'd take the spare tank to the local welding supply shop and swap it for a tank of beer gas, and sell the spare CO2 reg. Then you'd need to buy a nitro reg and nitro faucet, and you'd be set.

Thanks! I called our local welding supply and was actually able to work out a pretty good deal. They'll swap my tank for a nitro with beer gas blend, only have to pay for the gas($25) but he'll also take the regulator and cut off a chunk on the cost for a new one for an additional $30. So not too bad $55 together and now just need the faucet. Thanks again, Cheers!

Back