Anybody else using BKYeast's Cantillon Brett?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vehicle

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else out here participated in the yeast exchange with Dmitri from BKYeast.wordpress.com and hoping to collect different experiences and observations here in one place, like the fantastic thread on Brett Drie. I have seen one other blogger (jeffreycrane.blogspot.com) who made some starters with them and his descriptions varied significantly from Dmitri's initial observations.

So far I have only woken up the first strain and used it as a primary strain in a wit style beer. 5# pils, 5# wheat, .5# rolled oats, and 30 IBU's of late addition Citra and Galaxy hops. OG was 1.057 and I pitched a healthy 1600 ml starter. It was very slow to start and I ended up pitching another 1000 ml starter after 4 days.

Since then it took off and the airlock has been very aromatic, progressing from lemon and green apple to an intense funky, ripe melon and tropical mango. It's been in primary for 2 weeks now, and it's only down to 1.030, but the sample tastes great. Citrus, apples, and some pleasant acidity.

I'm planning to try this strain with either WY3711 or 3944 next.

Does anyone else have any data to share?

vehicle said:
Just wondering if anyone else out here participated in the yeast exchange with Dmitri from BKYeast.wordpress.com and hoping to collect different experiences and observations here in one place, like the fantastic thread on Brett Drie. I have seen one other blogger (jeffreycrane.blogspot.com) who made some starters with them and his descriptions varied significantly from Dmitri's initial observations.

So far I have only woken up the first strain and used it as a primary strain in a wit style beer. 5# pils, 5# wheat, .5# rolled oats, and 30 IBU's of late addition Citra and Galaxy hops. OG was 1.057 and I pitched a healthy 1600 ml starter. It was very slow to start and I ended up pitching another 1000 ml starter after 4 days.

Since then it took off and the airlock has been very aromatic, progressing from lemon and green apple to an intense funky, ripe melon and tropical mango. It's been in primary for 2 weeks now, and it's only down to 1.030, but the sample tastes great. Citrus, apples, and some pleasant acidity.

I'm planning to try this strain with either WY3711 or 3944 next.

Does anyone else have any data to share?

How long did you let your 1st starter go for? 1600 ml doesn't sounds like enough to me, especially if you didn't have it on a plate for a week.

Recipe sounds great! Brett white ipa-ish with citra and galaxy makes my mouth water.

I haven't used these strains as primary yeast, yet. Have added to secondary on two beers, a saison I'm bottling tonight and a rhubarb wheat that's got months to go. Hard to give specific feedback since the saison has several sacc strains, another Brett, and lacto.

I made an all Brett beer with the C2 after stepping it up with a few starters. The flavor seems pretty similar to what BKYeast described it as (wild strawberries) with some berry fruitiness mixed with woody character and a little sourness.

How long did you let your 1st starter go for?

I stepped that starter up 400 ml at a time on my stir plate over a period of a little more than a week, so I'm pretty sure the starter was healthy. This just seems to be a slow fermenting strain.

I made an all Brett beer with the C2 after stepping it up with a few starters. The flavor seems pretty similar to what BKYeast described it as (wild strawberries) with some berry fruitiness mixed with woody character and a little sourness.

Interesting, that sounds delicious. I'd like to try this strain with some Maris Otter. How long did this take to ferment? What was your OG?

vehicle said:
Interesting, that sounds delicious. I'd like to try this strain with some Maris Otter. How long did this take to ferment? What was your OG?

The beer I made was actually mostly Maris Otter after seeing the description on the blog. OG was around 1.049 and the beer reached a FG of 1.010 after about a month (was down to 1.012 after about a week but that next month both brought it down a couple points and really enhanced the flavor). Formed a pretty crazy looking pellicle with lots of big bubbles. Half has been bottled straight and is pleasant if unspectacular, the rest will be going on fruit (I'm currently leaning blackberry but haven't fully decided).

Just made up a 650ml starter of C2 yesterday. Also a 650ml of Stillwater Premium dregs. Will report back on the C2 later on.

I've got samples of all three, haven't found time to do anything with them yet though...

Mine finally dropped to 1.015, no sign of a pellicle in primary or secondary after a total of 10 weeks (4 primary, 6 secondary). I decided to dry hop and prepare to bottle. As soon as the hop sack went in, a pellicle started cropping up. I left the hops on for two weeks and then bottled at 1.014 with no priming sugar to allow the brett to carbonate naturally based on the remaining gravity. After three weeks it is still not to the carbonation level I would like, but it's getting there.

The beer has a solid wheat body and background for the brett, though I would back off on the wheat a little bit for my next all brett. The flavor is a very complex subtle combination of honeydew, lemon, tropical fruit, and a light wet-hay funk. The nose is explosively tropical and really jumps out of the glass, likely from the hops, but I think this strain is a winner.

Next batch I'm putting it alongside the Wyeast French Saison. After that I'm planning to wake up my C2 and try a bigger starter this time for another 100% brett.

I have C1 & C2. I have only used the C1 thus far. I used some of it in a Saison that was mixed with WLP670 American Farmhouse Blend. I will be adding Zante currants to this and letting it sit at least another 9 months.

I am also brewing a 10 gallon batch of a Nightmare on Brett Street clone that I will split into 2 carboys. I will use the C1 in one of them and Brett Trois in the other.

Not sure what to do with the C2 yet. I was thinking of doing a Flanders Red style that I will pitch primarily with the new WLP Flanders Blend but will probably add some of the C2 yeast to after a month or so of initial fermentation.

Looking forward to getting the C3 as well.

I just got a vial of c2 that I am stepping up and planning on doing a combo of it and Brett trois on the next ipa. I plan on keeping this yeast around for lots of experiments.

Tasted my c1, c2, c3 blend beer yesterday. The grist is simple, 94% 6-Row 'Heritage' Malt, 6% oat malt. 10ish IBU of Saaz. Started at 1.053 about a month ago, down to 1.008. Hard to describe, at least for me. Spicy, but not in a black pepper way, slight yeast tartness like some whit or farmhouse strains, maybe some stone fruit - definitely sweet, but hard to put my finger on it. Pulled a sample a week ago (1.011) and it had a root beer / cream soda thing going on.

Going to add some bugs. I'd go straight pedio/lacto, but I don't have pedio on it's own, only in blends with sacc/lacto/brett. Might add one of those or dreg it, I haven't been able to decide.

My c2 has been in the plate for over 48 hrs and anytime I turn it off it tries to grow a pellicle. Just by looking at my starter I'd say its doubled in size easily, I love the aroma coming off of it, smells like a bottle on Cantillon. Hopefully using it this weekend.

kaips1 said:
My c2 has been in the plate for over 48 hrs and anytime I turn it off it tries to grow a pellicle. Just by looking at my starter I'd say its doubled in size easily, I love the aroma coming off of it, smells like a bottle on Cantillon. Hopefully using it this weekend.

+1
The pellicle in my starter grew thick and quick when I turned it off.
I ended up brewing a single hopped Mosaic American Wheat with 8% Oats and a touch of acid malt. Pitched a 1200ml starter at 70 and it took about 18 hours to show any signs of activity. The initial dominant smell was of sulphur, but now I'm getting the strawberry notes.
Looking forward to trying it.

Spillsaw said:
+1
The pellicle in my starter grew thick and quick when I turned it off.
I ended up brewing a single hopped Mosaic American Wheat with 8% Oats and a touch of acid malt. Pitched a 1200ml starter at 70 and it took about 18 hours to show any signs of activity. The initial dominant smell was of sulphur, but now I'm getting the strawberry notes.
Looking forward to trying it.

When did you brew this? It sounds amazing, this starter will potentially be used as a primary. Does anyone know how long this yeast takes to finish out? I also intend to take some of this and some Brett trois and pitch equal sized starters and see how it goes. I'm interested to see how yours turns out.

kaips1 said:
When did you brew this? It sounds amazing, this starter will potentially be used as a primary. Does anyone know how long this yeast takes to finish out? I also intend to take some of this and some Brett trois and pitch equal sized starters and see how it goes. I'm interested to see how yours turns out.

I brewed it last week, but I just checked my notes and I'm getting my beers all mixed up. I think I might have too many beers going right now.
Here's what I ended up brewing with the C2. I thought about dry hopping this beer too, but I feel like I'ld be losing all ability to pick up on what this yeast contributes. Never used Mosaic before, so I figured I'd kill two birds one stone.

Brett BK C2

Style: Blonde Ale OG: 1.056
Type: FG: ?
Rating: 0.0 ABV: 5.11 %
Calories: 185 IBU's: 52.90
Efficiency: 80 % Boil Size: 5.88 Gal
Color: 4.4 SRM Batch Size: 5.00 Gal
Preboil OG: 1.052 Boil Time: 90 minutes

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
6.50 lbs 63.41 % Weyermann Pilsner
1.00 lbs 9.76 % Briess Rye Malt
1.00 lbs 9.76 % Weyermann Munich I
0.75 lbs 7.32 % Wheat Malt, Bel
0.75 lbs 7.32 % Oats, Flaked
0.25 lbs 2.44 % Weyermann Acidulated

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
1.00 ozs 28.69 Mosaic First Wort 12.70
1.00 ozs 15.62 Mosaic 10 mins 12.70
1.00 ozs 8.59 Mosaic 5 mins 12.70

Spillsaw said:
I brewed it last week, but I just checked my notes and I'm getting my beers all mixed up. I think I might have too many beers going right now.
Here's what I ended up brewing with the C2. I thought about dry hopping this beer too, but I feel like I'ld be losing all ability to pick up on what this yeast contributes. Never used Mosaic before, so I figured I'd kill two birds one stone.

Brett BK C2

Style: Blonde Ale OG: 1.056
Type: FG: ?
Rating: 0.0 ABV: 5.11 %
Calories: 185 IBU's: 52.90
Efficiency: 80 % Boil Size: 5.88 Gal
Color: 4.4 SRM Batch Size: 5.00 Gal
Preboil OG: 1.052 Boil Time: 90 minutes

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
6.50 lbs 63.41 % Weyermann Pilsner
1.00 lbs 9.76 % Briess Rye Malt
1.00 lbs 9.76 % Weyermann Munich I
0.75 lbs 7.32 % Wheat Malt, Bel
0.75 lbs 7.32 % Oats, Flaked
0.25 lbs 2.44 % Weyermann Acidulated

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
1.00 ozs 28.69 Mosaic First Wort 12.70
1.00 ozs 15.62 Mosaic 10 mins 12.70
1.00 ozs 8.59 Mosaic 5 mins 12.70
Your recipe looks solid and definitely something that could stand some age too. Do you keg or bottle? I'm just curious if you are going to let this ferment for awhile ?

kaips1 said:
Your recipe looks solid and definitely something that could stand some age too. Do you keg or bottle? I'm just curious if you are going to let this ferment for awhile ?

I normally keg, but I'll be bottling this one. I made a Brett Trois IPA awhile ago legged half and bottled the rest. The bottles have definitely improved with age.

Spillsaw said:
I normally keg, but I'll be bottling this one. I made a Brett Trois IPA awhile ago legged half and bottled the rest. The bottles have definitely improved with age.

I hear ya, my Brett trois pale is getting better day by day. Can't wait to brew this weekend.

Brewing a batch tomorrow and using c2 as a primary with nice hop bursting additions. Can't wait to get started.

Has any one used the C1 isolate? I made a starter of it and it smelled very much like vomit. A quick google search yielded that some Brett can smell like vomit in starters but it should not carry over into the actual fermented beer. I made a 10 gallon batch of a "Nightmare on Brett Street" clone and split it in two carboys. One is using the C1 isolate the other WLP Brett Trois.

The C1 has been going for 24 hours and is just starting to get active, but when I smell the beer with the airlock out I am getting the vomit smell again. Anyone else experience this with the C1 Isolate from BKYeast.

Has any one used the C1 isolate? I made a starter of it and it smelled very much like vomit. A quick google search yielded that some Brett can smell like vomit in starters but it should not carry over into the actual fermented beer. I made a 10 gallon batch of a "Nightmare on Brett Street" clone and split it in two carboys. One is using the C1 isolate the other WLP Brett Trois.

The C1 has been going for 24 hours and is just starting to get active, but when I smell the beer with the airlock out I am getting the vomit smell again. Anyone else experience this with the C1 Isolate from BKYeast.

I emailed BKYeast with this question and here is the response I received:

BKYeast said:
"I've heard from other people that C1 smells like vomit in the beginning, but then becomes really fruity/overripe lemons and honeydew. I haven't smelled my airlock when I used C1, but in the end it was a citrusy/honeydew/wet hay/funk character.
When I used C3, for the first week or so it smelled absolutely horrible (vomit) to be suddenly replaced by explosive pineapple so I think it's just a stage that's going to pass soon. It may be related to the amount you pitched. I think when you don't pitch enough, they initially produce that, but it's just a theory and speculation.
I hope your beer will turn out well.
Cheers!"

I just smelled the beer again and the vomit smell is now very faint, its almost non-existant, things look promising!

:rockin:

Has anybody noticed anything interesting with their c2 fermentation? I made a starter of about 2L's and pitched it Saturday and haven't seen any airlock activity, needless to say I got a little worried and opened the bucket lid to see about an inch of krausen but still no airlock activity. Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else.

I can't remember what the vomit compound is, oh heck I'll walk to the bookshelf....there isn't a 'vomit' in the wild brews chart, maybe that's a mix of butyric, isobutyric, and isovaleric? Those are all acids, so would that would mean the strain is creating acids and then changing them into esters?

I really need to send Dmitri the beers I promised. :(

I took a sample of my C2 Mosaic Blonde brewed 5/14 and it has fermented down to 1.000 in two weeks. OG was 1.056 and I was hoping for something at a session strength. Big tropical fruit/berry flavor (I attribute the berry end to the C2) I definitely notice a woody note too. The mouthfeel is thin, but the flavor holds up against it. I'll let this sit two more weeks and then I'll bottle it.

I've been considering brewing up a Doppelsticke (Double Alt) to put on the yeast cake. I'm curious what a malt forward beer will taste like with C2

Spillsaw said:
I took a sample of my C2 Mosaic Blonde brewed 5/14 and it has fermented down to 1.000 in two weeks. OG was 1.056 and I was hoping for something at a session strength. Big tropical fruit/berry flavor (I attribute the berry end to the C2) I definitely notice a woody note too. The mouthfeel is thin, but the flavor holds up against it. I'll let this sit two more weeks and then I'll bottle it.

I've been considering brewing up a Doppelsticke (Double Alt) to put on the yeast cake. I'm curious what a malt forward beer will taste like with C2

That's interesting because I was wondering what a double ipa would be like with C2. Also I think I was having a lid malfunction, swapped lids and everything's gold. Airlock a clicking, beers fermenting.

kaips1 said:
That's interesting because I was wondering what a double ipa would be like with C2. Also I think I was having a lid malfunction, swapped lids and everything's gold. Airlock a clicking, beers fermenting.

I did notice that airlock activity was nonexistent after day 3. Definitely seems like a quick fermenter. A DIPA sounds pretty good too. I think I'll be bumping up my oat addition to 10-12% just to gain a bit more body.

Spillsaw said:
I did notice that airlock activity was nonexistent after day 3. Definitely seems like a quick fermenter. A DIPA sounds pretty good too. I think I'll be bumping up my oat addition to 10-12% just to gain a bit more body.

Body seems the trickiest part since the Brett's so voracious. I'm trying to find any info on lactose sugar and Brett but haven't found anything conclusive. On assumption I'd say the Brett will chew right though it.

Body seems the trickiest part since the Brett's so voracious. I'm trying to find any info on lactose sugar and Brett but haven't found anything conclusive. On assumption I'd say the Brett will chew right though it.

It depend on the strain, but Brett can ferment lactose, not all Brett. Its really dependent on what you have. Check out the national yeast collection. There is some brett listed with the types of sugars it can ferment based on differentiation standards. Its very strain dependent though.

smokinghole said:
It depend on the strain, but Brett can ferment lactose, not all Brett. Its really dependent on what you have. Check out the national yeast collection. There is some brett listed with the types of sugars it can ferment based on differentiation standards. Its very strain dependent though.

Thank you

I would check your gravity before you assume it is done. Brett likes to take a nap before it finishes the last bit of fermentation. I usually see it go for about 1 or 2 weeks and then it will seem to stall and not do anything for a few weeks and then it picks right back up again.

This is not ALL strains of brett but many of them do this.

Back