Fermentation temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pickettj

Reaction score
There seems to be a lot of discussion about the importance of a cool 60-65 for fermentation. My issue is I don't have a basement and the best I can do is a closet upstairs in a bedroom (closet for no light). My house is never above 72 but never below 68. Will my yeast still be able to thrive at these temps? I haven't started brewing yet because I don't have my kit but I want to do it right when I do. It'll probably be next week when I brew my first batch.

I used to do cold wet towels wrapped around the bucket in the tub with a few inches of water and jugs of frozen water when it was really hot. If you're in a closet you could put the bucket or carboy in a larger storage container of ice and water. you could also make a swamp cooler in the closet fairly easily and cheap. Are you a DIY type?

I would also add that the wort and yeast suiting fermentation will be warmer than ambient air, so if its 72 in the house, the yeast will be around 75+

theveganbrewer said:
I used to do cold wet towels wrapped around the bucket in the tub with a few inches of water and jugs of frozen water when it was really hot. If you're in a closet you could put the bucket or carboy in a larger storage container of ice and water. you could also make a swamp cooler in the closet fairly easily and cheap. Are you a DIY type?

I would also add that the wort and yeast suiting fermentation will be warmer than ambient air, so if its 72 in the house, the yeast will be around 75+

Swamp cooler? Do tell...

Yup, when it's cooler at my house I can get away with wet towels, maybe a fan pointing at them. When it's hotter, they're in a muck bucket filled up to the beer level with water and frozen water bottles to keep the temps down. I have to wet towels/change out water bottles 2-3 times a day. I live in an upstairs condo in San Diego, so even in the winter my place is never much under 70F.

daksin said:
Yup, when it's cooler at my house I can get away with wet towels, maybe a fan pointing at them. When it's hotter, they're in a muck bucket filled up to the beer level with water and frozen water bottles to keep the temps down. I have to wet towels/change out water bottles 2-3 times a day. I live in an upstairs condo in San Diego, so even in the winter my place is never much under 70F.

I'm in central indiana, it's 30 degrees right now.

This is what I've got going. Temps stay consistent at 64-66 with just the addition of a couple ice cubes every 6-8 hours. My apt is always between 72-74. Best way I've found to control fermentation temps.

image-1294406688.jpg

ChickenSandwichCarl said:
This is what I've got going. Temps stay consistent at 64-66 with just the addition of a couple ice cubes every 6-8 hours. My apt is always between 72-74. Best way I've found to control fermentation temps.

I'm assuming the principles remain the same for a bucket over a carboy?

So my house is at 70 to 75 if the thermostat is reading right but the wife keeps flipping on heat. So if the temp is right the wort is running a rough 75+. Should I do the same stick my bucket in cool water?

Back