Drop the malt bombs on me!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daksin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I've had a bunch of hoppy beers on tap lately just by coincidence and realized I haven't brewed a real super malty beer in a really long time. What are your favorite malt bombs to make?

Hit me with some recipes, ales if you can manage it. My lagerator is out of commision. Thanks in advance!

5 gallon recipe

10# Munich
4# Bohemian Pilsner
1# Caramunich
8oz Melonoidin
8oz Carapils
3oz Chocolate Malt

Mashed @ 155 for 60 minutes
Boiled for 120 minutes

.6oz of perle @60
.5 oz perle @15

2 packs of Nottingham rehydrated (I fermented @58)

Smells & taste extremely malty / bready just like a Doppelbock should. Awesome mouthfeel.

5 gallon recipe

10# Munich
4# Bohemian Pilsner
1# Caramunich
8oz Melonoidin
8oz Carapils
3oz Chocolate Malt

Mashed @ 155 for 60 minutes
Boiled for 120 minutes

.6oz of perle @60
.5 oz perle @15

2 packs of Nottingham rehydrated (I fermented @58)

Smells & taste extremely malty / bready just like a Doppelbock should. Awesome mouthfeel.

Thanks! What's your anticipated OG/FG/IBU?

Cheers!

This is an off shoot of an old ale I do for winter. Been thinking about doing a 1 gallon kettle caramelization but haven't tried it yet.

10# Pale Malt
2# Munich
10oz each of Amber malt, Brown malt, and c60
4oz chocolate malt 350L
4oz Molasses

Hops are a mix of Cascade/Willamette/Saaz. FWH then added at 15 and 1 minute with IBUs around 40

s-04

90 minute boil
SG: 1.072 FG: 1.020

yeah, i got some really good caramelization with the long boil and the melonoidan malt gives that decoction mash flavor / smell.

This is an off shoot of an old ale I do for winter. Been thinking about doing a 1 gallon kettle caramelization but haven't tried it yet.

I tried that in a 2 malt best bitter and found little to no flavor contribution over what I may expect from using a bit more crystal malt or some prepared dark invert sugar. I kind of think of it like adding LME. I'm fermenting a beer somewhat similar to this one (though 2/3rds the gravity) with 4oz molasses and even that is subtle at the finish for my tastes. However, I must say that even at 6 days fermentation, that one aspect of the recipe, ie, the search for it, makes me want to drink it more. Psychological?

Malt bomb? A 80-90% Vienna to 10-20% dark munich oktoberfest with a 40 minute boiled decoction. That's been my most surprising malt bomb. My experience is more with stouts/porters as malt-driven beer.

Much thanks for the recipes. 14thstreet- did you notice a higher FG than you were expecting even if there wasn't much flavor contribution? I've got an Oktoberfest on the way, but I wouldn't say it's a malt bomb. That Old Ale sounds delicious!

daksin, I actually got a lower FG than I expected, but I must say the two oktoberfests this year were my first as well as the decoctions I did to make them. See here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/hochkurz-decoction-mash-rests-333064/#post4141904

"Malt bomb" is a relative term but it definitely was malty. I think lagering really helped smooth things out (5 months). I think the one with Vienna/Dark Munich could have used longer than the month or so I gave it because it was for a friend and he's not as patient as I am.

I made a doppelsticke recently that came out great. Rich, thick, malty and creamy. Almost halfway between beer and a milkshake. After trub loss and wort absorption by all the hops, I got about 2 gallons out of the following recipe.

6 Lt Munich
1.5 wheat malt
.125 175L home toasted malt. It's not very noticeable. You could use any dark malt to get about the same amount of color.
Rice hulls
.33 Millenium 45 minute
1 Hallertauer FWH
3 Hallertauer steep 20 min post-boil
WLP036 at 55F, but you could probably use notty or us-05 at 60-65F
1.087/1.021/8.7%

Try a Scottish 80 shilling, or go for a Wee Heavy. Stay light on the hops for a big malt flavor. And do a kettle caramelization on the first gallon.

I tried that in a 2 malt best bitter and found little to no flavor contribution over what I may expect from using a bit more crystal malt or some prepared dark invert sugar. I kind of think of it like adding LME.
I agree to a point, but beyond that point - it's worth the trouble. Monitor the temperature with a candy thermometer. As long as you're just boiling off water, the temp will stay at 212, and you're just making LME. Once the water is gone or mostly gone, the temp will rise as caramelization happens. This is when the key flavors come through. I try to get at least to 230; but with white sugar, I'll go as high as 290.

Cheers!

My favorite malt bomb is my Dead Guy Clone. It's not high in ABV, and it's not hoppy. I used to have it on tap at my house often, but I"ve become such a hophead over the last few years that I rarely make it anymore. And it's too bad, because now I remember how much I like it on occasion!

It's not hoppy? I thought by definition RIS' were highly hopped.

It has a lot of hops, but its not perceived as a bitter beer due to the outrageous amounts of grain and gravity points. I just made it and got a gravity of 1.104, with 70 IBU's and you can barely tell that there are any hops in there. Malty, smooth and wonderful (at least it has been the last 2 times I've made it). I'm really looking forward to this one come the middle of winter.

Back