Beer Safe to Drink?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eon

Reaction score
I'm not really sure if this is the right place for this question. Please let me know.

I just opened up a can of Modus Hoperandi IPA and there seems to be a bunch of yeast clumps floating throughout the ENTIRE beer. I mean there are a ton.

Here is a picture. It really doesnt do it justice. If you see this thing in person there is WAY more yeast (?) floating in there.

so, is it safe to drink? Anybody know what it is?

Check it out:

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i250/endofnight/DSC03459.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i250/endofnight/DSC03462.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i250/endofnight/DSC03458.jpg

the pick kinda looks like hop pellets to me, but that is just from a homebrew I did that i didnt filter out the hops before bottling. I cant imagine it is not safe to drink because nothing that can kill you can live in beer.

That being said, you could get a nice stomach ache from it... Id drink it though.

taste it, if it tastes ok you should be ok

I always have an extra package of toilet paper, for tasting experiments

I had the same thing happen with a sams wit. It was gross. I think its yeast not hops. That particular beer was in my fathers in law fridge for over a year. So I attributed it to that.

I had a DT that looked like that once. Sadly I could not bring myself to drink it, even though it tasted fine, it was just too gross to look at. Good for you for finishing that.

I had a SNPA this weekend that looked very similar, except the particles seemed to be finer. After reading this thread I think it was probably hop particles. Tasted fine by the way!

Wouldn't hop particles get filtered out? But yeast from bottle conditionioning eventually flocculate and clump up?

Thanks for the tip olsond but I just poured that beer down the drain :(

ouch, that sucks. Did you taste it at least? Coming from a homebrew community I would have just tasted it at least, looks like some of my more careless brews where I kicked up a lot of sediment while raking to my bottling bucket.

One of the few things I remember my biology teacher in high school saying: "when in doubt, throw it out."

It sounds like you're in doubt... ;)

Yeah, I tasted it. It tasted fine but I couldnt risk a stomach ache. Besides, it looked gross!
Also, it was just a single can I picked up at the liquor store. No big deal.

One of the few things I remember my biology teacher in high school saying: "when in doubt, throw it out."

It sounds like you're in doubt... ;)

My mantra has always been, "when in doubt, start taking bets. because you can stand to make alot of money if you are right, if you are wrong, you'll be dead anyways and won't owe anyone anything" :D

wuss ;)
Years ago a friend came into some old homebrew from an acquaintance. Knowing my affinity for beer he gave it to me. It was obviously "well conditioned" (i.e. old) in corked wine bottles and had quite a bit of sediment. Being the adventurous sort, I figured what the heck? A few of the bottles had gone bad (of course I didn't drink those), but all-in-all it wasn't half bad. Besides, sometimes the risk itself is the reward.

I've had a lot of beers that looked like that lately. I'm not sure what it is.

After drinking them I woke up the next day slightly dehydrated, headachey and nauseated. Was it the bits? Or the fact that I had 20 beers?

Back