Plastic Kegs.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I couldn't tell but do these have the same fitting as a Corny Keg. I have the ball bearing connections I didnt' see a picture of the top of any.

any word on how much the 1/16 barrel will go for?? I would hope it is significantly cheaper then a stainless version.

Sorry folks. Been busy and forgot to follow up. I will try to remember tonight however, these guys are strictly wholesale.

Sounds good. However if there were enough of us to do a large "wholesale" order we could make it work. I am thinking there may be interest for the 1/16 to make it viable.

Prices through April 30, 2009.

1/2bbl = 85.00 each
1/6bbl = 65.00 each
1/12bbl = 55.00 each

Firkin = 68.00 each
Pin = 65.00

Also, Not "exactly" sure what these are,

Pressure release tool = $149
Tightening/Untightening tool = $89.50

I just stumbled across this article elsewhere, didn't feel like starting a new thread: First ever using of plastic keg - Plastics and Packaging - Plastech Vortal

I know companies used to ship metal sanke kegs covered in plastic, but they are now being made without using any metal, only plastic and pvc. If anyone were to find one of these being thrown away by a pub, I would imagine it would be pretty easy to convert them into a homebrew-usable keg. I'm not sure how easy it is to reuse a sanke type keg, but if it's made of an easily cutable/moldable material such as plastic, I would think it would be somewhat easier to retrofit it with your own fittings...maybe I'm wrong.

plastic-keg.jpg

Here's my take on those:

Pressure release tool = screwdriver pressed into the ballvalve to spray old beer into your face.

Tightening/Untightening tool = pliers and hammer to remove the ring that holds the spear inside the keg.

Here's my take on those:

Pressure release tool = screwdriver pressed into the ballvalve to spray old beer into your face.

Tightening/Untightening tool = pliers and hammer to remove the ring that holds the spear inside the keg.

Yeah, I kinda figured too but haven't seen any pics of the "specialized tools". D'ya think they are plastic too? ;)

The kegs themselves aren't that difficult to clean and many HB'ers have devoised some really easy made recirculating washers. The spears are pretty easy to remove and re-install and really aren't THAT expensive, IMO.

My issues is with the price of the couplers. Geesh! Those things run almost as much as the keg then figure a hombrewer like me running 6 1/6bbls and that gets pricey really QUICK.

I do like the appeal of the minimal maintenance required to keep the spear in check and the reduced number of openings that will potentially leak.

If you're working with plastic/pvc, do you really need to buy a coupler that is made for the sanke attachment? Couldn't you just drill a hole into the top and attach your own coupling?

Prolly could but, IMO, it defeats the point of using the sankes to have fewer holes to maintain.

Back