Stone IPA Clone Comparison - You pick the real one!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
brewt00l said:
The base recipe is already 93 IBUs...don't you kinda go past the point of amount/benefits by doubling?

Plus, he might not have just wanted more bitterness...more hops for more flavor and aroma. IMO, you can't add too many aroma hops in an IPA.

Orpheus said:
I'm not a stock brewer. I don't like to keep anything on hand. I order what I need and what I don't use normally gets trashed, so I've developed this habit of ordering as close to exact amounts as possible and then adding any leftovers. I could only find 2 oz. bags of Warrior hops and a 4oz. bag of Cent. I love the hops, so I have no problem using them. I'd rather do that than let them sit in my fridge for a year.

Beerrific said:
Plus, he might not have just wanted more bitterness...more hops for more flavor and aroma. IMO, you can't add too many aroma hops in an IPA.

My POV on this being that you get in a situation where your additions are not yielding much benefit past a certain point....not just from a bitterness perspective but a flavor and aroma perspective as well. For example you put a ton of pepper on a french fry to the point where you only taste pepper....adding more pepper isn't adding more "pepper flavor" just adding more physical pepper.

brewt00l said:
My POV on this being that you get in a situation where your additions are not yielding much benefit past a certain point....not just from a bitterness perspective but a flavor and aroma perspective as well. For example you put a ton of pepper on a french fry to the point where you only taste pepper....adding more pepper isn't adding more "pepper flavor" just adding more physical pepper.
Yes but you can add other flavors of pepper!:mug:

Hey Ed - Have you tought about swapping out the Warrior for Magnum hops? I noticed on the Stone website they mentioned that they use Magnum hops for their bittering.

gfranks7807 said:
Hey Ed - Have you tought about swapping out the Warrior for Magnum hops? I noticed on the Stone website they mentioned that they use Magnum hops for their bittering.
Not really. I may do some experimenting later, but this recipe ain't broke. It turned out a very tasty IPA. That's one of my goals in brewing is tasty brews that are consistant, batch after batch. So far, my hefe, kolsch, & haus have reached that phase. They all taste great and are consistant in flavor, aroma, appearance, etc. I'm adding this IPA to my standard line of brews as it's a winner and so far everyone who's tried it agrees. Hats off to AHS for a great recipe! Here's the link to their kit. I did the All Grain version.

What's the Alpha Acid on your hops?

I punched these into beersmith with their standard AA for warrior (15%) and centennial (10%) and I only came up with 33.7 IBU.

1 oz warrior at 60min
1 oz centennial at 15 and
1 oz centennial at 5

Don't have that info off the top of my head. It's in my brew log back at home. I'll get to it in a week when I get back.

dantodd said:

I punched these into beersmith with their standard AA for warrior (15%) and centennial (10%) and I only came up with 33.7 IBU.

1 oz warrior at 60min
1 oz centennial at 5

dantodd said:

1 oz warrior at 60min
1 oz centennial at 5
Uhmmmmm.

I'm coming up with 66.2IBU's and having tasted this brew...I can promise it is way north of 34IBU's.

I think you plugged in 10 gallons.

gfranks7807 said:
Dantodd - I put the recipe into Beer Smith as well and it came in right on target at 77 IBU. Did you specify 5 gallons?

I just found my error. I had a 3 gallon kettle specified. I have no idea what beersmith did with that info that gave me such low efficiency on the hops. I changed my kettle and everything looks fine. Don't know how they expected me to brew 5 gallons with a 3 gallon kettle. Sometimes it's just too smart for its own good.

EdWort,

Please tell my you used the Warrior hops I sent you. Or maybe you used them a long time ago.

This is my next brew.

That beer looks awesome!!! I should have brewed this a long time ago instead of dinking around with Belgian Wits and Blondes.

Cheers

McTarnamins said:
EdWort,

Please tell my you used the Warrior hops I sent you. Or maybe you used them a long time ago.

I brewed this before we swapped hops. I just checked and I brewed this back in March. How's that for aging and letting mellow. :D Patience paid off big time!

Dr Vorlauf said:
Ive searched this and the recipe locater sticky. Problem is I cant find this recipie. can anyone help me?

Go to the beginning of this thread. Scroll down to post 13.

D'OH Thanks Ed. PS I brewed up 14 gallons of your Kolsh recipe last night. Its looking good already !!!

Can wait to do Apfelwine !

EdWort said:
Mine is fricking awsome! It's actually a Stone IPA Clone, but it tastes more like the Ruination. Much better than the real thing. I'm so stoked, I'm brewing it again tomorrow.
Here's the recipe.

Single infusion 60 minutes at 153 degrees.

10.5# Pale
1# Munich
1# Crystal 20L

1 oz. Warrior 60 minutes
1 oz. Centennial 15 minutes
1 oz. Centennial 5 minutes

Dry Yeast - Safale US-05

O.G. 1.066
F.G. 1.010

Dry Hop with 1 oz. Centennial. The stainless herb ball in the keg works great!

what would I use to make this as an extract vs all grain ?? I'd love to try this but I've never done an all grain yet.

BierMuncher said:
Alright...So I was fortunate enough to swap few beers with EdWort and of course when he rattled off his list of available brews...I jumped on the chance to try the Stone Clone. For one thing...I'm just starting to dive into the world of IPA's so what better way to go than trying a fellow homebrewers clone of one of the pinnacles of the IPA world.

The UPS box showed up at around noon. My SWMBO had instructions to open the box and get those brews (I also got a Kolsch) into the fridge. After work tonight I had an obligation to go out to dinner with the in-laws so the beer would have to wait. I only had one beer at dinner...a Bass Ale. (I had to compare a commercial draft to my clone...pretty damn close).

So we get home about 9:00 and I have a few beer chores to do so finally, about 10:45PM, it's time to crack the 22 Oz'r open.

Pop the top...nice phsssst and a nice cloud of CO2 inside the neck of the bottle.

Take a whiff out of the bottle and WOW...nice hit of malt aroma, followed immediatley by the mid-tone tang of the hops. Now I don't know what hops go into this beer...but the smell is absolutely inviting.

Pour into a cold (not frosted) 16 Oz glass...nice amber/pale ale color...super clear and just a slight head that cascaded to about 1/4 inch. Took another whiff and wow..."so this is what an IPA is all about".

It's time. First a slight sip..then and nice cold gulp. The malt profile hits you right where it feels best and that whish of citrus from the hops is right behind it. It had a nice amount of bitterness that really grabs your attention...but was completely balanced by the heavier malt tones.

All I could do was sit down...look at the beer and wonder how to pay homage to a great beer so here I am....

Get the recipe below and BREW IT.

I've already place my order at MidWest for a 10-gallon batch.

Oh yeah...the buzz???? Priceless.

Good job Ed.

Someone trying to fill Michael Jackson's shoes? LOL, I love the story!

If I cant find Warrior, can I use anything else? I have some magnum. Not sure what the flavor component of the warrior would be (if any).

Ender said:
If I cant find Warrior, can I use anything else? I have some magnum. Not sure what the flavor component of the warrior would be (if any).

I think Stone IPA actually uses Magnum so I think that would work well

From 7-4-2007:

EdWort said:
Ok guys,

Mine is on the right and the real Stone is on the left. I could not believe how cloudy the Stone is, so much so, I just bought another bottle to do another test this afternoon...., you know, just to be sure. Yeah, that's it. Quality control. :D

I'll post another pic from the second test. Different glasses this time though.

Thanks to all those who played "Let's Pick the Clone"

Now if it would stop raining, I could brew some beer.

Sorry man...just a little late. :D

Only because reviving old threads is cool...this is my next brew.

I just built my MLT and have been debating what to brew as my first AG beer...this just seems perfect!

I'm planning on brewing this clone either this week or next week. Out of curiosity, for those who also brewed this, what temp did you ferment at and how long did you dry hop for?

Thanks

Keep it cool....don't go higher than 65. Pitch a huge starter (2L or more), or, optimally, wash your yeast cake and repitch it. I use WLP001. This is my main beer I'm experimenting with, I've done it 4-5 times with all sorts of variations. I can tell you that Ahtanum hops will be the thing that'll get you closest to Stone's IPA. They're real hard to find nowadays though. You can still make a great beer with other varieties, but that's what they use, and I notice a distinct difference when I use williamette, amarillo, etc. I use a mesh tea ball which allows you to cram upwards of 1.5 ounces in it. 2 weeks seems to be fine, and I leave the hops in the keg for the life of the beer without problems.

Thanks ScubaSteve. I plan on using harvested/washed 1056 with a starter. I already have the Warrior and Centenniel but I'll keep my eyes open for some Ahtanum for the future.

I couldn't find Warrior or Magnum so I used Nugget and Centenial. I bought some Stone IPA and compared, it was not identical but it was really good (both of them :))

i think that the cloudiness of the beer on the left is not due to chill haze, but from yeast that was roused from the bottom of a bottle conditioned beer. also, the color of the beer on the right looks like what you would get from a pound of munich malt. i'm going to say that yours is the one on the right, and either way, i'm going to copy your recipe if it's as good as you say.
cheers!

Looks good. I'm getting ready to brew. I usually brew IPA's. Do you mind giving me your Recipe? I sparge in a cooler.

Ed, Did you dry hop in the keg or in the fermenter?
How long did you dry hop?

I made one almost like your recipe but only dry hopped in the fermenter and it was good so maybe I will try what you did to see if there is any differences. Most likely more flavor if dry hopped in the keg.

Ed, Did you dry hop in the keg or in the fermenter?
How long did you dry hop?

I made one almost like your recipe but only dry hopped in the fermenter and it was good so maybe I will try what you did to see if there is any differences. Most likely more flavor if dry hopped in the keg.

I dry hop in the keg with stainless herb balls.

You did not say how long you would leave them in there? Does it get much stronger if they stay in there for a month? :)

Back