Carbonated Kool Aide?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We are switching my boy off of fruit juices and milk over to Kool Aide. The boy drinks like a fish ( I fear for my beer when he is older). Now, when I mix up the Kool Aide I only use half to a quarter of the sugar the packet calls for. That is the beauty of KA, you control the sweetness and it still tastes good.

Anyway, as I was topping up the pitcher I took note of the bubbles and it made me wonder, how would Kool Aide taste post carbonation? Sort of a cheap bastards soda. I figure that at the least 2.5 to 4 cups sugar and 10 packs of KA would do for a 5 gallon keg-o-the-stuff but, would the carbonic bite counter the sugar to the extent that more would be needed to maintain the original character of the drinks after carbonation?

Not to be a dick or anything but why give the boy all of those empty calories? The more sweet drinks you give him now th more he will want them as he gets older and it's just asking for him to be bigger and heavier than he should be. I know this is kinda crazy to ask but what's wrong with water or decaf iced tea?

PTN

I know this is kinda crazy to ask but what's wrong with water or decaf iced tea?PTN

Lack of variety. I never said that Kool Aide was given exclusively, only that it is being used to replace or supplement juice and milk. And given that I can control the amount of sugar added, I think it's a better alternative to soda.

Anyone try to carbonate it? What PSI? How did it taste after?

what's wrong with water or decaf iced tea?

Mostly the taste of them:D

I can't stand drinking plain water, and plain iced tea is just as boring. I will drink carbonated water though. Carbonated kool-aid is pretty good. I would suggest Apfelschorle, if you have kegging capabilities. 60% apple juice, 40% water, carbonate. ~$10 for 5 gallons :)

If you're worried about the sugar intake, what about subbing in a little Splenda for some of the sugar? I tried making a soda with all Splenda and it was horrid, but for whatever level of sweetness you're trying to dial in, maybe get half from sugar, half from fake.

Of course, the little voice in my head tells me that the fake stuff can't be all that good for me, either...

I haven't tried carbing Kool Aide, but it's an interesting idea. You could try half/half sugar/splenda if you can tollerate artificial sweetners. I personally can't stand any of them, in any proportion. Other than that, give it a shot and see how it turns out.

If you've ever been to a soda fountain before, it sounds like it might be along the lines of a "phosphate". Very tasty stuff.

loop

I figure that at the least 2.5 to 4 cups sugar and 10 packs of KA would do for a 5 gallon keg-o-the-stuff but, would the carbonic bite counter the sugar to the extent that more would be needed to maintain the original character of the drinks after carbonation?

You might consider trying a carbonator cap that fits on a 2 liter bottle in lieu of dedicating a whole keg when you're not sure how it will turn out and when figuring out variables like sugar and amount of carbonation.

http://www.weekendbrewer.com/carbonatorcap.htm

These things are great for experimenting with things like this. Just fill a 2 liter half to 3/4 fulk of kool aide, squeeze the air out, cap it, attach your quick connect, and force carb and shake. You'll have to repeat a few time.

As far as suggestions to try things like splenda and sugar, it would be far cheaper to combine a pack of unsweetened kool aid with sugar free, then add what ever amount of sugar works with the carbonation level you settle on and whatever you need to kill the twang of the artificial sweetener. But I've often wondered if carbonating makes artificial sweeteners seem worse. I could never tolerate any kind of diet soda, but I don't mind sugar-free kool aid.

OK, so I'm a little late to this BBQ, but I'm new to the group and found a product over the weekend I REALLY like!

Like a lot of us, I am somewhat of a Soda-Holic, but I agree with the Empty-Calorie train of thought. Besides, drinking soda in the Florida summer makes me real sick, real fast.

Anyway...BJ's Wholesale has their own brand of Sparkling Water (Berkley & Jensen) that I just saw for the first time and bought a case ($5.99) and it is fantastic. Sweetened with Splenda, which is Spanish for 0 Calories in a 20oz bottle, and no sodium. Flavors in a case are Black Cherry (Drinking one now), Rasberry-Blackberry, Strawberry and Kiwi-Lime. Good stuff, and if I were a kid, I'd be doing back-flips. Parents should like it because their kids will get their water in.

Cheers,
Paul

Maybe I'm missing something, but what's wrong with your kid drinking fruit juices and milk? Along with a sufficient amount of water I would think that a parent would prefer their child drink 100% pure fruit juices and milk as opposed to an artificially-flavored drink mix, regardless of how much sugar you add to it.

Maybe I'm missing something, but what's wrong with your kid drinking fruit juices and milk? Along with a sufficient amount of water I would think that a parent would prefer their child drink 100% pure fruit juices and milk as opposed to an artificially-flavored drink mix, regardless of how much sugar you add to it.

Because second only to Happy Meals, Juice and Milk are the leading causes of child obesity.

Because second only to Happy Meals, Juice and Milk are the leading causes of child obesity.

Milk and juice are second only to Happy Meals? Care to share your sources on that? The average American child spends a significant percentage of their time sitting on their butts watching TV, or playing computer games. Few calories are expended during this sedentary activity. Not surprisingly, obesity rates are higher among children who frequently watch television. In addition, only a small minority of children (1 in 5) regularly participate in after-school sports or extra-curricular physical activity.

Couple that with excessive snacking on high calorie snacks and a fast food diet and I'd say that fruit juice and milk are the least of their problems. My kids drink milk, 100% fruit juices and water and they are in great shape. However, they don't eat fast food, junkie snacks and what they do eat is monitored by their mother and I. They also don't watch an excessive amount of TV, we don't own any video games and they actually enjoy playing and running around outside.

A friend of my lets his daughter drink 100% fruit juice all the time... her teeth are rotten. She is perhaps 5. My daughter like Orange Juice and son likes milk. So far with trips to the park and such ... they are heathy and fit. I hate to think about what we drank growing up but from sun up till the street lights came on ... we were outside playing.

Carbonated Koolade huh .... I may try that with splenda.

Edit ... The Koolade would be for me ... the kids wont drink anything carbonated :p

A friend of my lets his daughter drink 100% fruit juice all the time... her teeth are rotten.

Please forgive me if I come across like a d!ck, but does he brush her teeth? Both of my boys have been drinking 100% fruit juices since the sippy cup days and their teeth are fine. I do however make sure that they brush their teeth at least three times a day. Their old enough now (six and four) to do it themselves, but before that we did it for them.

I would suggest Apfelschorle, if you have kegging capabilities. 60% apple juice, 40% water, carbonate. ~$10 for 5 gallons :)

Thanks for the tip. I had picked up some apple juice thinking I was going to start another batch of Apfelwein but ended up wanting something without alcohol. This was the perfect match! Got a keg of it chilling and carbonating right now.

We are switching my boy off of fruit juices and milk over to Kool Aide. The boy drinks like a fish ( I fear for my beer when he is older). Now, when I mix up the Kool Aide I only use half to a quarter of the sugar the packet calls for. That is the beauty of KA, you control the sweetness and it still tastes good.

Anyway, as I was topping up the pitcher I took note of the bubbles and it made me wonder, how would Kool Aide taste post carbonation? Sort of a cheap bastards soda. I figure that at the least 2.5 to 4 cups sugar and 10 packs of KA would do for a 5 gallon keg-o-the-stuff but, would the carbonic bite counter the sugar to the extent that more would be needed to maintain the original character of the drinks after carbonation?

I would think you could add champagne yeast like you do for root beer. I think the idea of trying it in 2 liter soda bottles is a good idea. I have thought about doing this myself, but haven't done it yet.

id bet it would be like orange or grape crush drink.

i never thought a beer forum could turn into a parenting counseling session -lol

I'll second the crystal lite
I have a diabetic son and I tried carbing it one day the turn out was so great
all my kids (6) loved it.
I used to send the kids to school with 2 drink boxes in their lunch for a total of 12 a day (expensive) now they all have a p.e.t. bottle and I make carbed crystal lite.
I would recommend trying it.
I wouldn't recommend their lemonade straight up it's great carbed is a different story.
this coming school year I may have to get a keg I've been making it in 2L p.e.t. bottles it works great but with 6 kids it's a full time job:drunk:

Back