A Black IPA with 1450

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer-lord

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've made my favorite black IPA a few times.....with 05 mostly and once with 001 yeast. Both great with very minor differences, mostly in mouth feel.
I recently used 1450 in an Oasis clone and liked it and want to try it in my Black IPA.
Anyone used 1450 in a black? Just curious what your opinions are.

Hell yea. I used 1450 on my black ipa that I washed from a previous batch. Turned out beautiful, OG 1.08 FG 1.018, 100 Ibu. It's a monster.

I love 1450.

I brewed my black today using 1450 that was in the fridge for just under 3 months. I usually try to use my yeast before 3 months but I made a monster starter.
OG was 1.069 with IBU's at 83.

I've only used 1450 once before and it was good but it was weird as far as it's activity. I made a 2000 ml starter for a 1.069 beer. Usually the yeasts I use are beasts, go crazy and are easy to see activity for 3-4 days.
But both times, it starts anemic, and isn't that volatile and visible activity is only 2 days. Now it's too early for me to care enough to check gravity but is this what I should be seeing?

large_maxv1x29jpeg.JPG

Back