Fermentation time.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akglyd

Reaction score
When can i expect to be able to bottle my beer?
OG 1.062
Safale us-05 Pitched at 24°C
Room temp 20°C

You can bottle your beer when it reaches its FG. Might be 4 days, might be a week, maybe even a bit longer. It's better to wait until you hit FG, then let the yeast do a bit of a clean up of any off flavours or smells, by-products of the fermentation process, that might be present.

A lot of people here go for at least three weeks in primary, bottle and carbonate/condition at room temp for three weeks, then chuck a bottle or two into the fridge for a minimum of 24 hours before seeing what the batch has turned out like.

Three weeks before bottling is a good figure to aim for but it isn't guaranteed that your beer will be ready in that time. SG checks will tell you.

By the way, you might find that an ambient temp of 20°C will be a little high when fermenting with US-05. The brew will produce heat due to the fermentation process and can be considerably higher than the ambient, room, temp which could lead to off flavours and smells. If you can keep the fermenter down around 17 to 18°C during the initial vigorous phase of fermentation then let it warm to 20°C or so, after the first signs of temp dropping, and keep it there for a week you'll probably get a decent fermentation and good attenuation.:mug:

Swamp coolers and brew belts are things you could look into to help with maintaining brewing temps, if you haven't already got something else sorted.

I have a see through fermenter that has a small interior ledge about 4-5 inches from the bottom. I check the ledge after about two weeks into the fermentation. I give the whole thing a couple of quick twists and the trub falls off the ledge to the bottom. I then check it in a day or so to see if anymore sediment gathers on the ledge. Once the ledge remains clear I figure the beer is done (I still use the hydrometer 3 day rule). At this point the beer is as bright as it is going to get and then I bottle it.

bosco

I have a see through fermenter that has a small interior ledge about 4-5 inches from the bottom. I check the ledge after about two weeks into the fermentation. I give the whole thing a couple of quick twists and the trub falls off the ledge to the bottom. I then check it in a day or so to see if anymore sediment gathers on the ledge. Once the ledge remains clear I figure the beer is done (I still use the hydrometer 3 day rule). At this point the beer is as bright as it is going to get and then I bottle it.

bosco

I agree with this: "(I still use the hydrometer 3 day rule)"

As to when it is bright, it depends... Some recipes are not meant to be clear. Light ales will clear quickly and malty beers/high gravity beers will take longer.

I go with 3 weeks in primary then check the gravity and most are ready. I got lazy on bottling my last batch and went almost 6 weeks. The sample tasted fantastic.

I intend to brew a Wee Heavy soon and will primary for 2-3 weeks then secondary for 1.5 to 2 months. After bottling I expect at least a month conditioning.

My general rule of thumb is do nothing for 2 weeks or even 3.

At 2 weeks check the gravity, 3 days later check it again if it's the same your ready to bottle.

Brewing beer and rushing it don't go together.

I pretty much expect a 5-6 week time frame from brew day till drinkin day.

My Imperial coconut stout will take 5 months....:rockin:

My general rule of thumb is do nothing for 2 weeks or even 3.

At 2 weeks check the gravity, 3 days later check it again if it's the same your ready to bottle.

Brewing beer and rushing it don't go together.

I pretty much expect a 5-6 week time frame from brew day till drinkin day.

My Imperial coconut stout will take 5 months....:rockin:

For sure..:mug:

bosco

Yup, and the higher the gravity, the longer it will take. I've found that any beer I make over 1.060 tastes the best after at least 5 or 6 months have passed since brew day.

boscobeans is correct. Its the hardest thing to do but leaving things alone for a bit longer really pays off. Lower temps also.

As many here will point out, a good two to three weeks in the primary is good. If you want to do a secondary thats fine but I seldom do it either. Some beers might need it if you're adding something like fruit or other flavor enhancers but generally, going to blttles after tow to three weeks in the primary and then letting it condition for 6 or 8 weeks willl yield great results. And with bottles, you can open one up preiodically and see how time changes everything. Its amazing how they change.

Time, time, time. If I could and had the patience, I'd leave everyone for three or four months. I have a cider thats at 8 months and its nothing like it was at even two months. It is excellent now.

How sad. They just had a two for one sale on better bottles so I bought two. I'm up to three 5 gal primaries (two currently full), a three gallon better bottle and two Mr Beer fermentors (one currently in use). I have the kit for the next five gallon batch for the third 5-gal brew and will have to get something into the other MrBeer fermenter pretty soon.

Brewing rocks!

Yuuup, having a handful of primaries or secondaries is key.

I'm kinda pissed I only have 1 primary right now with beer. shame on me.

Such a shame too...

I have three beer primary fermenting vessels. I also have two beer aging vessels (currently occupied by a 9% old ale and 12% wee heavy) that I plan on making available soon. I need to keg two batches as soon as I can get to it (they're done, but kept cool enough that nothing bad is going on).

I also have 7, ready to use, mead/other fermenting/aging vessels. I have two more that I need to make ready (conversions have not been done yet).

I won't rack to a second vessel just to do so. There has to be a damned great reason. Like aging for several months, after already spending a few months in primary/on the yeast. The wee heavy mentioned above was started in December of last year. About time to get it into corny kegs and see how it turned out. :D :drunk:

Oh hey Golie, I forgot about my kegs, two of them. And yes, a plethra of mead vessels going stong. Its all good.

I have two 5 gallon and one 3 gallon BB carboys in the basement. Seriously doubt I'll ever use them again though. Well, other than to transport water that is. :D

My beer fermenters are adapted 1/4 barrel kegs (three of them) and one 50L adapted Sanke keg (forgot to mention that one earlier). All my mead/other fermenters are 1/6 bbl adapted kegs (plus on 3.875 gallon sanke keg). LOVE fermenting in stainless steel. :rockin: I use a CO2 push to move beer from vessel to vessel or to serving keg. Doesn't get much easier than that. :D

akglyd needs to take a lesson here. Spend your entire pay check on beer brewing equipment and you can brew enough such that you'll never have to embibe anything younger than 6 months.

I have two 5 gallon and one 3 gallon BB carboys in the basement. Seriously doubt I'll ever use them again though. Well, other than to transport water that is. :D

My beer fermenters are adapted 1/4 barrel kegs (three of them) and one 50L adapted Sanke keg (forgot to mention that one earlier). All my mead/other fermenters are 1/6 bbl adapted kegs (plus on 3.875 gallon sanke keg). LOVE fermenting in stainless steel. :rockin: I use a CO2 push to move beer from vessel to vessel or to serving keg. Doesn't get much easier than that. :D

Do you got pics of this rig?

Back