Easy Partial Mash Belgian Wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ztexz

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
WLP400
Yeast Starter
none
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
none
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Awesomeness in a bottle.
This was my first attempt at a partial mash, and I'm wondering why I waited to start. I dunno, I was intimidated by it, which seems silly now that I've done it.

Anywho, SWMBO asked for a Belgian Wit, and, well, she must be obeyed.

INGREDIENTS

Grains and other malts

3 lbs. Belgian Pils
1 lb. American 2-row pale malt
8 oz. flaked oats
3 lbs light wheat DME

Hops

1 oz. Hallertaur 3.9% (60 mins)
1 oz. Tettnanger 3.9% (10 mins)

Yeast

WLP400 (Belgian Wit) -- note: Had never used this yeast before and was not prepared for two things: the "interesting" smell and the vigorous fermentation. Had to stick a blow off tube on there on Day 2 or the whole thing was going to blow.

Other
1 oz. bitter orange peel -- I used the dried stuff from my LHBS, but next time I think I'll use fresh zest

1 oz. toasted and crushed corriander seeds -- To bring out the real flavors in the corriander, you'll want to toast the seeds first. All you have to do is put them in a dry skillet (i.e. no oil, Pam, etc.) over medium heat. Keep lightly shaking the pan to avoid burning. When you start to smell the spices, they're done. To crush, I simply put them in a ziplock bag and used a rolling pin.

PROCEDURES

1) Partial mash the grains (see DeathBrewer's extremely helpful guide on how to do a PM if you need help). I did mine at 151 degrees for 35 minutes before the wort was sweet, not starchy.

2) Bring wort to boil. Add 2 lbs. Wheat DME. Add 1 oz. Hallertaur hops. (60 mins)

3) Add 1 oz. Tettnanger hops and 1 lb. Wheat DME (10 mins.)

4) Add 1 oz. bitter Orange Peel and 1 oz. toasted/crushed Corriander (5 mins).

5) I don't have a wort chiller, so I used and ice bath to get the temperature down. I then pitched and fermented at 69 degrees for 2 weeks.

6) There was a lingering sulphur smell when I bottled it, but this went away after about 2 weeks of conditioning.

All in all, I thought it came out to be a delicious brew, and it's been perfect for the hot summer we're having here in NC (and everywhere else).

Two changes I would make: use fresh zest from Valencia oranges instead of the dried orange, and I would probably skip the addition of that final 1 lb. of wheat DME to get a lower OG since the ABV came out a little higher than I would want in the future.

I hope others enjoy it. Would also love to hear thoughts, feedbacks, and tweaks for future brews.

Looks good. I've made a few wits, trying both dried orange peel and fresh orange zest. I liked the results from the fresh zest way better.

You might want to boil for 30 minutes before adding the hops (so that you boil the wort for a total of 90 minutes). This would help reduce DMS (slight corn or vegetable flavor) from the pilsner malt. While this may not have been a problem in your beer, it certainly can't hurt anything!

You might want to boil for 30 minutes before adding the hops (so that you boil the wort for a total of 90 minutes). This would help reduce DMS (slight corn or vegetable flavor) from the pilsner malt. While this may not have been a problem in your beer, it certainly can't hurt anything!

Thanks for the tip -- I didn't notice any problem with that in this batch, but why risk it?

Thanks for the tip -- I didn't notice any problem with that in this batch, but why risk it?

I believe it's only a real issue if Pils makes up more than half the grist, but I'm with you on "why risk it?".

Back