Best yeasts for 'small beers' ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatsix

Reaction score
I am in the process of dialing in my light (4%) hoppy summer pale recipe. My goal with this recipe is 'light', 'floral, and 'highly drinkable on a hot day'. It's basically just some Maris Otter and a tiny bit of light crystal.

I've made it a few times with WY1056 / WLP001 / Chico / whatever you want to call it, and while I love this yeast for higher ABV beers, it seems to dry out and become too 'watery' in low ABV beers. My goal is 'light and flavorful', not 'watery'. It's a balance that I'm having a hard time achieving, and I at least partially blame the yeast.

Does anyone have any preferred strains for lower abv 'small beers' ? Preferably something fairly neutral and hop-forward but still leaving enough gravity/mouthfeel to make the beer interesting. Thanks!

I like Wyeast 1450, Denny's Favorite 50.

It doesn't accentuate the hops, though- it tends to accentuate the malt without leaving the beer sweet or underattenuated. I like that in a lower ABV session beer, so it drinks "bigger", if that makes sense. I get a really nice mouthfeel with Denny's.

I need to try Denny's Favorite, it sounds like a good general purpose yeast. My lhbs doesn't stock Wyeast, so I need to pick it up online or at another store.

Another good general use yeast that I like is White Labs Edinburgh. Fermented in the low 60s it gives a clean profile, flocculates well, and is a little less attenuative than California Ale yeast. Accentuates malts a little but I've used it in hoppy pale ales with good results.

We have an American Amber on tap now that I used Edinburgh on - then I used the resulting big jar of yeast on a Wee Heavy that is in the carboy. The Amber has a nice hop aroma ( Chinook and Mt Ranier hops) and flavor, balanced.

Another thought would be Nottingham, if you want to go with dry yeast. Again, fermented at 60 it's very clean and not as attenuative as US-05/California.

Finally, I've been thinking I'd like to try White Labs East Coast but haven't yet. In some ways, the description sounds similar to Yooper's description of Denny's Favorite.

Good luck with your experimentation!

Use a yeast with a low attenuation rating, so yes, the Chico strain is not a good choice. I like to also use a strain that makes a lot of esters to help add more flavors since you will be getling less malt flavor since you are using less malt :rolleyes:

Fuller's. It's pretty clean at lower temps. And hey, Fuller's brews a mean smallish beer....

I totally agree with the OP's aversion to smaller beers with Chico, but in addition to their being watery, I find they often have a kind of bilious acidity that isn't evident in bigger stuff.

Fuller's. It's pretty clean at lower temps. And hey, Fuller's brews a mean smallish beer....

Yes, for sure. 1968 is great in lower gravity beers. Finnicky yeast, but if you treat it right it makes great beer. I've heard a lot of great things about 1450, but I've never used it.... think I'll have to give it a try soon.

You could also try adjusting your wort formulation. Mash at a higher temperature, include some carapils, that sort of thing to increase the body of the finished beer. You could even add some maltodextrine.

This may be the only time I ever recommend this yeast (I'm normally saying don't use it), you could try Windsor. A flavorful English yeast with lower attenuation than most yeasts.

Wy1318 makes excellent malty session beers. Milds especially. Drinking one now...

+1 to Denny's 50 / 1450. Also, Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale is really good at making a small beer taste "bigger".

Denny's is awesome. Another vote.

And I am starting to really love Kolsch yeast in my lawnmower beers. Wyeast says it's good for "pseudo lagers" and I think that description is spot on. I've made several beers with pilsner an 2-row, mashed way low, and fermented with Kolsch yeast, and they've all been wonderful back-yard summer beers.

Wyeast 1335 is also a great yeast. I use it often and really like what it does for my brews.

^That's another nice yeast in a session ale. I can't say enough about what 1318 will do to a low grav brew though, I had a ~3.9% ordinary bitter I used it on and the yeast stole the show.... let the malts really come through and gave the beer a really nice body. :rockin:

Ah, now that explains a lot! :D :mug: :ban:

Really though, a lot of the fruitier English yeasts make nice low gravity session beers. 1332, Northwest Ale is another great one. :mug:

Wise-a$$ :D

1332 is an US based yeast though, not English/UK... I'm only using UK based yeasts in my brews. :ban: Amazing how you learn about what a yeast will give you when you keep using it for batches. I'm not harvesting/washing yeast at this point, just using the same strains for what I brew. It also helps to have some on hand for when you want to brew. :rockin:

Wise-a$$ :D

1332 is an US based yeast though, not English/UK... I'm only using UK based yeasts in my brews. :ban:

It's British. According to the MrMalty strain guide its Hales Brewery Seattle, via Gales Brewery UK. I've only used it a handful of times, but I recall it being a bit fruit-y and bread-y. I remember liking the beers I made with it, but you gotta find the sweet spot, temp wise.

Yooper, have you ever used 1450 in a mild?

Nope! But I make few milds, and when I do I use 1335.

Wyeast 1335 is also a great yeast. I use it often and really like what it does for my brews.

This is my IPA strain lately- it's great. I've also used it in my stout recipe, and it's especially great in that.

Back