Brett C in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RomanNumeral

Reaction score
hey all, i made a rye saison that had an original gravity of 1.067 and wyeast french saison dropped it to 1.004. lasy week i decided i wanted to rack to secondary and add brett c but, i haven't seen any pellicle formation yet. my apartment stays at a steady 62. also, how long should i let it sit on the brett?

thanks

Pellicles often take months to form, so no worries there. With the gravity so low and a relatively mild strain of Brett it will probably take a similar amount of time to get much character from the Brett. Ideally you should wait until the gravity is stable to bottle, but with it so low I think you’d be fine bottling sooner as long as you use thick glass.

so if primary dropped from 1.067 to 1.004 in 2 weeks i should allow it to sit the same amount of time or 6-9 months?

so if primary dropped from 1.067 to 1.004 in 2 weeks i should allow it to sit the same amount of time or 6-9 months?

I would probably let it go a couple months. Some brewers claim that Brett develops character much faster in the bottle, so if you are down to say 1.002 or so I would just go ahead and bottle.

just got caught up on your blog, incredibly done as always... the question i have is on your DIPA - why only two late additions and no flame out (or continual) addition? (i love the water remark btw)

i see enormous value for DIPAs, etc., by slamming it late w/ high AA hops (as inconvenient as it might be)... and i do like (and agree w/) the late additions being a high AA hop variety....

Which DIPA? The most recent one? The Hop Stand is a flameout addition, you just leave it in there for longer rather than chilling immediately. I also added more hops right before chilling. It was an experiment to really find out what sort of bitterness hop extract adds, I didn’t want any other hops added until flameout. So far “80 IBUs” of NB HopShot tastes more like 40-50, and that is assuming the hop stand adds 0 IBUs (which I have a hard time believing). I’m not a big believer in late boil hops, I find they aren’t necessary with big post-boil additions to the kettle and keg.

Back