El Cheapo Digital Thermo from TJ Maxx...works!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
Well, I saw this $30 Polder digital thermo/timer at TJ maxx (I was there because wifey asked me to find some utensil, not because I shop there. I actually despise the place) a few weeks back for $16. It's one of those dealies with the home unit and a sheathed cord ending in a stainless probe. They say not to submerse the point where the probe meets the cord. I got it for the mash temps, and I finally had a chance to try it out last weekend. It actually works great. What I did was hang the half-U-shaped probe over the side of the tun so that the end was in the mash. Then I just put the lid on, and it held it in place. I then had realtime mash temps. Sweet! And having a timer on it is very nice...all in one unit! I was skeptical, given the price, but I tested it with my other thermometer, and it's accurate. I just have to be careful so as to not get the probe connection submersed.

Evan! said:
... (I was there because wifey asked me to find some utensil, not because I shop there. I actually despise the place)...

SURE... 'cause when I want to buy a partiuclar utensil, I never go to Target or Linens + Things - I hit up the Maxx... ;)

Actually, Polder makes some fairly good kitchen equipment. I have the digital kitchen scale and it is pretty good. I also have a small digital thermometer for the kitchen.

the_bird said:
SURE... 'cause when I want to buy a partiuclar utensil, I never go to Target or Linens + Things - I hit up the Maxx... ;)

Hehe, right, I know. Actually she was looking for something on the cheap, and we happened to be in the same shopping center. Man, that store is almost as depressing as Marshalls. :(

Evan! said:
Hehe, right, I know. Actually she was looking for something on the cheap, and we happened to be in the same shopping center. Man, that store is almost as depressing as Marshalls. :(

You know Marshall's is owned by TJ Maxx, right?

Just a heads up, they say not to get the cable wet and that includes steam. I've had mine go haywire on me so many times I gave up on it.

If it does lock up on you put the probe in the oven @160 degrees for about 15 minutes...

Silicone tubing over the wire and onto the first 2" of probe. Fill the silicone with keg lube just in case. #60 O-ring under or over the tubing at the probe. I'll take a pic when i get a chance. I had this thing submerged in a rolling boil for an hour and no leaks.

Monster Mash said:
Just a heads up, they say not to get the cable wet and that includes steam. I've had mine go haywire on me so many times I gave up on it.

If it does lock up on you put the probe in the oven @160 degrees for about 15 minutes...

If by haywire you mean starts reading 50-150 degrees high, then I've only seen that 3 times in a row. I got some NIST certified waterproof thermometer recommended here a while back, I'll try it out next time. Better work, it cost $50 after shipping, but I was tired of broken thermometers 30 mins into the mash.

So what's a good cheap thermometer to use? I'm using an extremely cheap piece o' crap right now and I should probably upgrade for AG brewing. Any reasonably-priced recommendations?

aseelye said:
If by haywire you mean starts reading 50-150 degrees high, then I've only seen that 3 times in a row. I got some NIST certified waterproof thermometer recommended here a while back, I'll try it out next time. Better work, it cost $50 after shipping, but I was tired of broken thermometers 30 mins into the mash.

I bought the waterproof thermometer also after about the 3rd time my probe failed. I've used it for over a year with no problems.

Bobby_M said:
Silicone tubing over the wire and onto the first 2" of probe. Fill the silicone with keg lube just in case. #60 O-ring under or over the tubing at the probe. I'll take a pic when i get a chance. I had this thing submerged in a rolling boil for an hour and no leaks.

I'd really like to see that set up!

I have two of the Polder-type base/wire/probe themometers. It was only after I bought the second unit that I found out about baking the probe in the oven to recalibrate them! I have to recalibrate mine every 2-3 times I use them. I usually stick them in the oven @ 350oF for about 30-45 mins.

I've been thinkig about switching over the a true thermocouple temperature probe unit instead of the cheap (and not nearly as accurate) thermistor probes that come with most instant-read and Polder-type units. They're more expensive, but I'd like to have something that doesn't fall out of calibration so easily. I could've almost bought one good T/C probed unit for what it cost me to buy the two I have.

Toot said:
So what's a good cheap thermometer to use? I'm using an extremely cheap piece o' crap right now and I should probably upgrade for AG brewing. Any reasonably-priced recommendations?

My old fashioned dial thermometer has been working great, just don't get the digital readouts, but you can read to about half a degree on those pretty easily.

The neat thing about the remote probe units is the built in timer and temperature alarm. If you're mashing in at 170, set it for that temp and go watch TV. It beeps when it reaches the set temp. No can do with a dial thermo.

I still don't have pics, but here's how you waterproof the probe.

Get yourself about 2-3 feet of silicone airsupply tubing at the pet shop. Insert the tip of your keg lube into the end and squeeze to fill at least 1-2" of tubing with the lube. I suppose you could pack a syringe with it first or even use vasoline.

Now start pushing the tip of the probe in on the lubed side (geez, talk about innuendo) until it pops out the other side. Keep going so that the entire probe comes out. Now fill that end of the tube with as much lube as you can get in, again, at least 3 inches. Work the tubing back over the probe to the part where it bends. Get a #60 or similar O-ring and stretch it out a little using some tiny needlenose plyers. Work it down the probe to the tubing then using any means necessary, stretch it over the tubing to be used as a clamp. This, along with the keg lube, will keep water out of the end of the probe.

I would imagine you could do the same with aquarium grade silicone sealant for a more permanent solution.

Of course, if you will be using the probe in a keg coupling, I already solved that in this thread. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=22133&highlight=keggle+probe

I basically did the same thing, but, I slid about 2 foot of tubing over the probe. I then coated the first couple of inches of the wire where it goes into the probe with silicone, then slid the tubing down about a quarter inch onto the probe. I then smeared a little silicone on this joint. I then sealed up the other end with silicone. So far, this has worked, no problems yet.

Just my $.02:D

Back