MBA in Brewing and Distilling (Heriot Watt)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone looked into getting a Master's Degree in beer?!?! Heriot Watt University in the UK offers a distance learning program with the title, "MBA in Brewing and Distilling." It looks completely legit, and is offered as a partnership with the International Centre for Brewing and Distilling.

I'm seriously thinking about applying, as it is highly desirable in my profession to have an MBA, though the course concentration is of little concern. I think I can probably even swing some financial aid!

Thoughts and opinions?

Looks like your basic MBA with a few courses focused on marketing in the "drinks" industry. I guess we'd call that beverages. About 90% of an MBA is stock across all industries, the only MBA that is really different is one focus on Non-profits.

It looks good on the old resume, even if you never use it (like me).

That's what I'm thinking. Some of the electives are really cool, though - very brewing specific if you get away from the "recommended" electives.

I just finished up a "traditional" MBA and even without a heavy finance/accounting background I ended up doing okay; of course the only thing it's really good for is adding a few dollars to the ol' paycheck.

Back