Royal Rootbeer Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my spelling sucks but its something like Sodium Benzite, if it has that its a fermentation inhibitor. If so I wouldnt use it unless you keg, and even then in the keg itself, when making root beer you use that extract with 4 LB of cane suger and then it only ferments enough for the pressure of carbonating the bottles. The Extract Austin homebrew supply sells, called Genome, dosnt contain SB.

I've done this with birch beer extract. Make a Mild, OG about 1.35/40, hop with Fuggles/EKG. Bittering and flavor additions only, no more than 1 oz total. After the ferment, add the extract & about 12 oz. of lactose. You might also want to add 8 oz of maltodextrine for more mouthfeel.

I just did something simular but I added the extract right into the primary and it turned out ok. A couple suggestions to improve your brew from ok to great . . .
  • I used the directions on the bottle for my mixture, basicly a 1 oz to 1 gallon ratio - use enuff malt malt to bring your brew to the sightly sweet side and give you a good strong carmel flavor. My next shot I think I'll be using a health portion of Vienna and Special B.
  • Make sure you have the mouth feel to support the flavors - mine came out a bit thin and will be altering it next batch to be more creamy

Back