high krausen candi sugar addition info

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnbrewer371

Reaction score
brewing a belgian strong dark ale later this week and was wanting to add the candi sugar during or a little after high krausen to give the yeast a head start first, was wondering if anyone knew the best way to do this? im planning on adding a pound of candi sugar and just want to know the best technique of adding it to the fermentor? thanks in advance

What form is the candi sugar in? Whenever I do sugar additions I always boil them. I've done belgian where I've added sugars in primary and secondary. What I would do is add a little water, bring it to a boil which will dissolve it, cool it, then pour it right in.

its in rock form, thats what I thought I should do, however I didnt know how much water to boil the sugar in? im planning on using a pound of sugar.

its in rock form, thats what I thought I should do, however I didnt know how much water to boil the sugar in? im planning on using a pound of sugar.

Hmmm...With regular sugar I had a chef/brewer once tell me to add just enough water to moisten the grains plus 2 tablespoons more.

I would in your case maybe use 2 cups of water at first. See if that's enough.

thanks revvy, I always appreciate your help I will let you know how it goes. do you think adding the candi sugar after high krausen is my best bet to maximize attenuation. with the candi sugar added in beersmith has my OG @ 1.102

thanks revvy, I always appreciate your help I will let you know how it goes. do you think adding the candi sugar after high krausen is my best bet to maximize attenuation. with the candi sugar added in beersmith has my OG @ 1.102

That's one of the ways I've done it, I once had a beer with three 1 pound additions. I waited til the "real" krausen fell and added the first pound of sugar. The yeast re-krausened tackling the sugar, then as soon as that krausen fell, added another pound, and did the last one after.

Back