Can i use a helium tank as a CO2 Tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pi Kapp Beer Guy

Reaction score
Just as the title says. I have come up with an oportunty to get a helium tank for $80. This thing is huge. Its used at a buddy of mines resturant and they will no longer be using it. What do you think? THis would be awsome i am building my keezer and was going to get a 20# CO2 but this is much bigger and i was wondering if i could use it as a CO2 tank.

no not directly, but if it is an owner bottle you can probably take it to welding supply and they will trade it for a co2. It has to be an owned bottle and not a rental though.

yea correct me if im wrong but i think it has something to do with the co2 tank needing a syphon.

actually a syphon is for pulling liquid from the bottle, this is only required if you want to fill other tanks like paintball tanks. The question of owner bottle has to do with legality much like keg ownership, if the bottle was a rental then you will have to pay rental to the rightful owner and a gas supply shop will not fill it without you doing so. They may not even fill it. If you buy it from him and it is owned by somebody else then he had no right to sell it to you. On the other end of the story gas companies dont really care what is in the bottle as in helium, oxygen, argon ect. if you bring them an owner bottle and it has helium and you want co2 they will just trade you bottles and you pay for the gas, almost all the bottles of the same size cost the same to make and buy it is the contents that vary in cost. I hope this helps clarify, and I hope you can score this bottle if its a good deal. Good luck

P.S. also the bottle threads are differant between co2 and helium your reg wont fit

pressureizing nipple should be too small... helium is higher pressure and uses a differnt filling system and nozzle input pressure... and i dont think a welder supply store will fill tank with a gas it is not certified with... i think you could swap for a CO2 approved tank but it will cost money... but i could not see it being more then 40$ or 50$... puls filling charge.

Cheers

I have a 250/280 oxygen and a helium bottle, the oxygen is a company owned and will not give a swap for smaller or anything thet are jerks (butt heads) but will just take it, wrong!. I will plasma the top off just before the taper and invert on a big rusty chain and hang on a 2" box frame. With the high quality steel they make for a nice Chinese gong that will ring for over 30 seconds and real deep sounding. One of those nature stores has one with a leather hammer filled with sand, they wanted $975 and it was acid dipped for a rustic yard finish. It lasted a week then sold. Hell i'll make one for $50 with box tube. The Helium isn't empty, i'm Tig welding alumimum and releasing 6' balloons only 1/4 filled with the neighbor kids and friends names with return letters and stamps in Ziploc bags. They have come up with the post marks from everywhere. All start in the S.F. bay area one ended up 200 miles south of Salt Lake City Utah. I'll send up a few when the jet stream is rather active with high knot winds reported upstairs. It will need a hydro and valve change thinking Tri-Mix for stainless Tig welding instead of Argon and better to back gas with an extra bottle. Three owner owned 280 cu/ft no monthly lease bill.

Next week the OP will be asking why everyone who drinks his brew starts talking like Alvin the chipmonk!

The damn suds keep sticking to the ceiling, stand under the big ceiling fan and spread a little suds cheer on everyone.

I can hear it now, the "Village People Return On Helium" get their next nut squeezing high note CD hit, not sold in stores.

The damn suds keep sticking to the ceiling, stand under the big ceiling fan and spread a little suds cheer on everyone.

I can hear it now, the "Village People Return On Helium" get their next nut squeezing high note CD hit, not sold in stores.

Like we say here in the South, "You ain't right Carl. You just ain't right!"

It's not my fault nature forgot to add fluid to my level,
i'm beyond a little off the bubble. In my mind all is well in my world, that's what counts. The only problem I always come up with a different number all the time when counting.
Thanks bull, now all is well again I just hit the memory reset in my head.

Back