Favorite Mexican Beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
When I was up in Sacramento two weeks ago, I had more than my share of Mexican food. Looking through all of the lists of Mexican beers on menus or up on the wall behind the counter, I saw how many that I don't really like. However, my all time favorite has to be Negra Modelo. What say you?

Negra, Dos Equis and Corona are all the "Mexican" beers I have had so my experience is limited. Negra is the top of those three and is frequently on well priced at bars. Corona is def. the worst.

Pacifico all the way. We drink ALOT of mexican beers down here, and Im not a big fan of Corona or Tecate, but I will seriosuly drink alot of Pacificos. Put a wedge of lime, and a pinch of salt in the bottle, and....mmmm

I like Carta Blanca or Bohemia the best although as a whole I am not that big on Mexican beers. Tecate has to be the worst.

The only time I drink Mexican beer is when I'm either eating Mexican Food or actually in Mexico. My all time favorite in restaurants in Bohemia, and WHEN they don't have that, Negra Modelo is a good back up.

In Mexico it's Dos Equis, light in the day and dark all night. You gotta love all inclusive resorts where the beer taps face out!

:drunk:

Mexican beers get a bad rap in the US amongst experienced beer drinkers, underservedly, perhaps, but largely the fault of the beer producers. They basically export mostly the bad stuff which, ironically, is how you make maximum profit in the US (see BMC). The Mexican beer brewing tradition started with the French and especially the Germans. They brought lagering to Mexico by buring chambers in hillsides and brought the tradition of Vienna lagers as well as pilseners. It's not surprising that they wound up also brewing with local ingredients, corn, which resulted in the Sol/Tecate/Corona branch.

I think Negra Modelo and Dos Equis are quite drinkable. From around Sept/Oct until December Noche Buena is available, which is a bock style beer ~7% IIRC. It's a very nice beer. There are plenty of others that you probably won't see unless you're in Mexico or very close to the border.

In terms of ales, you just don't see them unless you are in a particular city that happens to have an adventurous microbrewery. There are several successful ones, but in Guadalajara where I most frequently go they usually fail within a year. I think it's primarily marketing, but who knows. The Mexican craft beer movement seems to be ~25 years behind the US so it'll be a while I suspect before we abroad see much activity.

But the Mexicans learned beer making from the best, and some of the brewers still have a German or Czech influence in the form of a brewmaster or business interest, so there is potential there.

Negra Modelo and Dos Equis Amber are tops in my book for Mexican beers. I'd also like to thank the Germans for providing such a huge influence on Mexican beer.

I think it's hilarious that people keep saying that Corona has corn in it. According to their offical website:

"Corona Extra is made with all natural ingredients, water, barley, hops and yeast."

Corn? Naw, it just tastes like it!

:p

Actually Corona has 5 ingredients - water, barley, hops, yeast and skunk.

My fav's are Negra Modelo & Pacifico when eating mexican food and Dos Equis & Tecate (with a lot of lime/salt on the top) for poolside 100+ degree drinking.

Tequiza - the beer brewed with agave!

just kidding. I'm not too into cervesa, mainly because I don't like many lagers. Dos Equis is probably the one I've drank the most. Maybe some Tecate (got to love a beer called "Drunk".)

I'd prefer a margarita if I'm going mex, or a large horchata if I'm looking for an NA drink.

Cheesefood said:
Tequiza - the beer brewed with agave!

just kidding. I'm not too into cervesa, mainly because I don't like many lagers. Dos Equis is probably the one I've drank the most. Maybe some Tecate (got to love a beer called "Drunk".)

I'd prefer a margarita if I'm going mex, or a large horchata if I'm looking for an NA drink.

I thought borracho was drunk?

Horchata........mmmm, rice...:cross:

Spyk'd said:
I thought borracho was drunk?

Horchata........mmmm, rice...:cross:

You're right. Tecato means something like stoner, junkie, pothead, hippy, etc. the Puerto Ricans that lived next door to me in my dorm in college called me Tecato because I was always stoned or on something. I think Tecate is just a variation of Tecato.

desertBrew said:
My fav's are Negra Modelo & Pacifico when eating mexican food and Dos Equis & Tecate (with a lot of lime/salt on the top) for poolside 100+ degree drinking.

Yessir, take it from the Arizonans......We know how ot enjoy our Mexican beers

Tecate is a town in Mexico on the baja coast where Tecate is made. I do believe all the stoners (Tecato's) live there.

My favorite is Modelo Especial.

Deep flavor and color, fresh hop taste and very drinkable in our hot weather.

Look for it.

Cheers,

knewshound

i like the Negra Modelo. On a side note i just got a free lifetime supply of Corona bottles! (my boss is a drunk, and thats all he drinks) Yay!!!

I tried this one Mexican beer that I liked, but I can't remember the name.

It had a green sea turtle on the front and I think it started with a "C".

Pacifico is pretty good as well.

I must be in the minority who enjoys a nice ice cold Corona every now and then. Add some lime and salt and it's not bad at all.

I don't really like Dos Equis and Tecate, however. They've never appealed to me.

When I lived in Texas, Corona was cheap.
Today in PA, a case a Corona goes for about 30-32 bucks a case. While Yuengling is about 18, so that is my usual "buy" beer...But I haven't bought beer since mid summer when I started kegging.

homebrewer_99 said:
I've had all of those, but the BEST Mexican beer I've EVER had was Tequila.:drunk: ...a couple of those and you don't need cervesa!;)

"What's Tequila? Is like beer...."

+1 on the Negra. I will occassionally partake of the Pacifico but usually only when I'm camping and that's all my friends bring.

Toss a lime in a highlife and you could prb pass it off as Corona to a majority of Corona drinkers.

I have a few friends that will only drink Corona, Pacifico or Negra Modelo..of the three, Negra Modelo tastes better than the other two.

Negra Modelo is my choice for cervesa, but I generally go for Tequila based drinks when eating Mexican food.

Negra Modelo and Dos Equis Amber. Not a fan of regular Dos Equis and I find Corona to be one of the more offensive beers...

Didn't Michael Jackson say that he felt Corona was the worst beer in the world?

I heard from a number of people that they actually pass the Corona bottle through a UV light before boxing to get that 'skunked' taste that most people who drink Corona are used to?

Either way, I'm not a big cervesa fan. I'll admit, though, that my experience is limited and I havn't had a Negra Modelo as well as all the other ones said. The Mexican restaurant SWMBO and I go to usually has liter glasses of Yuengling for $3.00 so I usually stick with that :D (and they actually clean their taps/lines so it's good!).

I like Pacifico myself. Never met any mexican beer I didn't like, or any beer for that matter. Here in Southern california, all the Mexicans drink Budweiser!! Go figure. - Dirk

I like Casta quite a bit. They are some of the more interesting beers that I've had out of Mexico.

Edit: I was just looking in my beer cellar and I still have a bottle of Casta Milenia. an 8% bottle conditioned, Abbey style ale.

The best Negra Modelo Especiale I ever had was south of the border, I couldn't believe how cheap it was by the case in Ensenada when I camped down there in 2001.

And it tasted much better than than when I bought it up in Michigan.

Well, since someone else has revived this thread, I'll chime in.
1. Negro Modelo is actually an Austrian style that has since died out elsewhere in the world. It was brought there by immigrants fleeing WWI (the Mexican immigration scene has not always been what it is today). There's a handy Cliff Clavenism to let anyone at a party instantly know you are beer nerd.

2. The Skunk in Corona and others in the clear bottles is actually quite low, due primarily to the bare minimal use of hops. If anything, it think they are too sweet, which is the only reason I personally use limes if I am drinking them.

3. One of the better microbrew festivals is held in Tijuanna in November. You have most of the usual suspects that you see at the US festivals, plus a increased showing of the big Mexican breweries and a handful of Mexican craftbrewers. The bitchin' part is that it is only like $20 for admission (10 or so tastes) and then $2 pints until you can no longer stand.

4. To the OP, what are you doing ordering Mexican north of LA? I guess Sac may have some decent stuff, but that's just a general rule of mine.

Mulcahey's Brewing said:
Negra Modelo and Dos Equis Amber. Not a fan of regular Dos Equis and I find Corona to be one of the more offensive beers...

Same thoughts here!

Negra Modelo would be my fav. :off: Rolling Rock in a can is the most offensive beer ever IMO. Corona is few steps up.

I tried this one Mexican beer that I liked, but I can't remember the name.

It had a green sea turtle on the front and I think it started with a "C".

I think you're thinking of Cerveza Caguama. It's from El Salvador, IIRC. It was made for or distributed exclusively by Kroger and its other brands (King Sooper's etc.).

I like Dos Equis amber and Negra modelo. In a pinch, anything cold and sparkly will do.

4. To the OP, what are you doing ordering Mexican north of LA? I guess Sac may have some decent stuff, but that's just a general rule of mine.
My co-worker at the time was mexican and we would have to travel from the LA area up to Sacramento for work. He would always do the driving and would drag me to these hole-in-the-wall taquerias where the beer selection would be Bud, Bud Light, Tecate, Corona, Modelo, Pacifico, and usually to my delight, Negra Modelo. He would always get Bud Light. Go figure.

Nothing like posting in a resurrected thread to reply to a post from 2008, all in a thread I started back in 2006! :p

Victoria. I know it's available in the Chicago market but maybe hard to find else where. or negra modelo.

Corona is probably the most over hyped beer imho. It tastes terrible with or without the lime.

Latest posts

Back