Just bottled my first batch (cracked carboy?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buhay

Reaction score
So I spent the afternoon bottling my first batch of beer (irish red ale) and was a success I feel. After I was done all my clean up I noticed what was possibly a crack in the carboy, I honestly didn't even inspect this the first time I used it but maybe it's not a crack but just a defect? Opinions? I have pictures . the last pic is kind of through the hole lol.

20130609_191816_resized.jpg

20130609_191825_resized.jpg

20130609_191831_resized.jpg

20130609_191849_resized.jpg

Maybe put the pictures up so people can see them? I have no opinion with no picture lol.

Maybe put the pictures up so people can see them? I have no opinion with no picture lol.

Lol whoops. My side shows images but I guess I did something wrong. Will have to take a look after work

It looks to me like a manufactering seam or something like that. Nothing I would worry about. You could do the tap test. You can hear if the carboy is cracked because it won't reverberate very well.

It looks to me like a manufactering seam or something like that. Nothing I would worry about. You could do the tap test. You can hear if the carboy is cracked because it won't reverberate very well.

Nice tip to know, thanks.

I 'd be very careful moving that, especially when full. Not worth the risk to me. The bottom could drop out and Carboy shards are sharp, heavy and unforgiving.

Back