hop aroma out of my American Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noobrich

Reaction score
I am having trouble getting the hop aroma out of my pale ale I would like. My beer is clean and drinkable but I feel it is missing the hop aroma I would like. My last attempt generally followed the BYO may june 2005 magazine.

I make a large batch, I yield around 65 litres of beer. (Basically I brew to my capacity of my lauter tun and my pot because I want to get the maximum amount of beer for the same effort)
Here is my recipe

33 pounds of canadian 2 row
2 pounds of 45 crystal malt

2 ounce magnum, 1 ounce cascade (60 minutes)
3 oz. Cascade (30 minutes)
3 oz cascade (0 minutes)

I understand that if you want to get more hop aroma you place the hops at the end of the boil but I already have 3 ounces there!
I do not want any more bitterness. I was thinking of pulling some hops out and placing in a tea ball in my keg. Any comments or other ideas?

I also am considering using citra hops as this was in a beer me and my neighbor tried out & really enjoyed

Thanks for any help in advance:mug:

Richard

I understand that if you want to get more hop aroma you place the hops at the end of the boil but I already have 3 ounces there!
I do not want any more bitterness. I was thinking of pulling some hops out and placing in a tea ball in my keg. Any comments or other ideas?

Yes, you're right. for more hops flavor and aroma, you'd add the hops closer to the end of the boil.

But you have NO flavor hops at all (hops added at 20-15 minutes) and 3 ounces of aroma hops. 3 ounces of aroma hops is minimal in a batch that size!

Hop more like this:

3 ounces bittering hops (or to 25 IBUs with this addition)
4 ounces flavor hops (cascade would be great) 15 minutes
3-4 ounces aroma hops (again, cascade is great) 5 minutes
Dryhop if more aroma is wanted.

I am having trouble getting the hop aroma out of my pale ale I would like. My beer is clean and drinkable but I feel it is missing the hop aroma I would like. My last attempt generally followed the BYO may june 2005 magazine.

I make a large batch, I yield around 65 litres of beer. (Basically I brew to my capacity of my lauter tun and my pot because I want to get the maximum amount of beer for the same effort)
Here is my recipe

3 oz cascade (0 minutes)

I also am considering using citra hops as this was in a beer me and my neighbor tried out & really enjoyed

Richard

Here is my recipe

3 oz cascade (0 minutes)

Richard

Try moving the first addition of Cascade to either 10 or 15 minutes as you will get more flavor from them and reserve the second addition for dry hopping. The flavor and especially the aroma should just pop.

Latest posts

Back