White Pyment Q???'s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oakwoodforge

Reaction score
What would be your suggestions for a white Pyment ( mead / white wine ) Using clover honey and wine grape juice concentrate: Gewurztraminer, Liebfraumilch, Riesling, Chardonnay ? Something else ?

Prost !

Jens

A great idea, but be careful on the amount of juice/honey you use. If you want subtle honey notes, obviously use less honey. If you want a mead with grape notes, use less juice. But don't mix equal amounts. You'll be making rocket fuel. You might want to split up two batches, one with more honey and one with more juice, and shoot for the same OG, that way you can see which is the better, and maybe even blend them later on in varying degrees.

mike

Oakwoodforge said:
What would be your suggestions for a white Pyment ( mead / white wine ) Using clover honey and wine grape juice concentrate Gewurztraminer, Liebfraumilch, Riesling, Chardonnay ? Something else ?

Prost !

Jens
The Reisling or Gewurztraminer would both be excellent choices. Traminette is also good. I'd use enough honey to get the gravity up around 1.120, so maybe 7 to 9# depending on what the grapes came in at.

Have you decided on a yeast yet?

Thanks, I was leaning towards the Gewurztraminer or Reisling anyway.
I was considering Lalvin 71B-1122 or D -47 or possibly #4783 Rudisheimer and was thinking of a small addition of heather tips to give added depth to the floral notes of the honey. Or would that just be over powering ?

Oakwoodforge said:
I was considering Lalvin 71B-1122 or D -47 or possibly #4783 Rudisheimer and was thinking of a small addition of heather tips to give added depth to the floral notes of the honey. Or would that just be over powering ?
I'd stay away from 71B for anything "white". Any spices I'd wait on and add to secondary, if at all.

Back