What's the worst craft brew (commercial) you've had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok, are you trying to start a fight :D

See you in a few weeks

Alright, you got me. But seeing that I don't think it is the holy grail of beer, not even close, I probably come off as hating it.

Seriously though, the absolute worst craft beer I've had, at least in recent memory, was a "Rye Cream Ale" from a small brewpub in Visalia, Brewbaker's. I swear they served me a glass full of loogies; so bad, I asked them to take it back.

duckredbeard said:
One of the first Longshot beers from Sam Adams that I remember was a Hazelnut Brown. Real bad. I still can't stand hazelnut.

I remember that one, godawfull!!!

WesleyS said:
Worst craft beer I've ever had has to be Sam Adams Triple Bock.
Second place probably goes to Midas Touch.

Triple bock cost so much just to pour down the drain. It was the biggest disapointment ever, cost and flavor, I ever had in a craft brew

*ducks*
Pliny the Elder :D

Just kidding. Have to say any of the fruit flavored Sam Adams "beers" are downright disgusting. I dig most SA stuff, but I can't choke that crap down.

I've never considered Sam Adams "craft beer". It seems like mass produced stuff marketed to the unknowing as "craft beer".

And Dogfish Head..............seriously................I refuse to pretend to like that stuff just because I'm "supposed to". I'd rather be honest....it's not that great!

craigger64 said:
And Dogfish Head..............seriously................I refuse to pretend to like that stuff just because I'm "supposed to". I'd rather be honest....it's not that great!

I'm with you on that one. I've never had a beer from Dogfish Head that I liked. I'm definitely not one to waste beer and even if it tastes awful but I've dumped plenty of theirs.

I'm with you on that one. I've never had a beer from Dogfish Head that I liked. I'm definitely not one to waste beer and even if it tastes awful but I've dumped plenty of theirs.

Well, I've never dumped them, but I've certainly choked them down! I honestly don't see what the appeal is. I think some beers fall into that "I like it cause I'm supposed to like it" category. I don't fall for that.

craigger64 said:
Well, I've never dumped them, but I've certainly choked them down! I honestly don't see what the appeal is. I think some beers fall into that "I like it cause I'm supposed to like it" category. I don't fall for that.

I definitely don't see the appeal. I've got my own classification for some of beers they make. To me they fall into the "does anybody like me yet?" category. I feel like that's what they're asking themselves when they decide to mix up some of the stuff they do. They're making money god bless them but they sure aren't making any of MY money.

I'm an uncultured animal that will drink nearly anything but I disliked Dragon's Milk would probably never drink one again.

I too am a Maudite disliker. Maybe I do not understand the style enough to know what to expect, but the bottle I had was nothing but bananas! I like Hefe's but if I wanted bananas I would get a hefe. SA Cherry Wheat is another one.

That's where I've been. And since I live in Indiana and they don't come here anymore, I only miss the 60 minute and 90 minute IPAs. All the other stuff? Not so much.

Maybe I'll be crucified for this, but am I the only one that didn't like 3 Floyds Dark Lord at all? I tried the 2012 version...just tasted super sweet and huge alcohol taste/burn. I can see how it would improve greatly with age, but damn.

Certainly not the WORST craft beer I've had, but easily the most disappointing.

Maybe I'll be crucified for this, but am I the only one that didn't like 3 Floyds Dark Lord at all? I tried the 2012 version...just tasted super sweet and huge alcohol taste/burn. I can see how it would improve greatly with age, but damn.

Certainly not the WORST craft beer I've had, but easily the most disappointing.

I've heard it's fully dependent on the year. I'm not sure why it changes so much year to year, but it apparently does.

I loved 2011, still got one bottle aging. It was chocolatey, a little sweet, a bit of coffee notes. Very good.

I opened a bottle of 2012 shortly after I got it and it was terrible, sickeningly, disgustingly sweet. I really hope it ages well.

Those are the only two I've had. At the 2012 DLD, I talked to a guy who lives up there and has been to every DLD. He hated 2011, thought it was sickeningly sweet. I don't recall him saying he hated any other years.

kylevester said:
I've heard it's fully dependent on the year. I'm not sure why it changes so much year to year, but it apparently does.

I loved 2011, still got one bottle aging. It was chocolatey, a little sweet, a bit of coffee notes. Very good.

I opened a bottle of 2012 shortly after I got it and it was terrible, sickeningly, disgustingly sweet. I really hope it ages well.

Those are the only two I've had. At the 2012 DLD, I talked to a guy who lives up there and has been to every DLD. He hated 2011, thought it was sickeningly sweet. I don't recall him saying he hated any other years.

I had an 08 back in 10, it was really good, but I can see how they would be rough fresh.

Hands down the worst beer I every had was mamma Mia's pizza beer. It really tasted like pizza in the first sip and then after that tasted like throw up.

Bell's Java Stout. This beer gets very high ratings but I couldn't stand it. It tasted like old coffee to me. I love coffee and I love stout and I love some of Bell's other beers, but I had one of these in my fridge for like five years before I finally threw it out. Having said that, I may try it again in a mixed 6 pack or something since it's been a while. Maybe my tastes have changed since then.

jsguitar said:
Bell's Java Stout. This beer gets very high ratings but I couldn't stand it. It tasted like old coffee to me. I love coffee and I love stout and I love some of Bell's other beers, but I had one of these in my fridge for like five years before I finally threw it out. Having said that, I may try it again in a mixed 6 pack or something since it's been a while. Maybe my tastes have changed since then.

Ive had it.fresh and not.fresh. There is a huge difference. Absolutely.huge

Founder's Backwoods Bastard. If I wanted a big glass of watered down bourbon, I would have purchased a glass a bourbon and a glass of water. I didn't pour it out (never poured out a beer), but I came pretty close. Incidentally, I adore the Dirty Bastard. That's a fine beer.

Founder's Backwoods Bastard. If I wanted a big glass of watered down bourbon, I would have purchased a glass a bourbon and a glass of water. I didn't pour it out (never poured out a beer), but I came pretty close. Incidentally, I adore the Dirty Bastard. That's a fine beer.

I love that dirty bastard. Just wish I could afford to buy it more often. Only place I've found it locally charges $12 for a 6er. A little pricey for me.

hop-czar-275x300.jpg

Ewwwww... I like drinkin' Grandpa's ole' cough medicine.... but actual cough medicine... that's where I draw the line!

My vote goes to Victory Village, a brown ale with One Village coffee...tasted like cold, burnt coffee. I asked the waitress to pour it out for me.

I am really surprised at all the Southern Tier hate in this thread...easily one of my favorite breweries. Gemini, Unearthly, 2XIPA, Farmer's Tan, Pumking and Krampus are all exceptional beers IMO. Different strokes I guess...

kingmatt said:
My vote goes to Victory Village, a brown ale with One Village coffee...tasted like cold, burnt coffee. I asked the waitress to pour it out for me.

I am really surprised at all the Southern Tier hate in this thread...easily one of my favorite breweries. Gemini, Unearthly, 2XIPA, Farmer's Tan, Pumking and Krampus are all exceptional beers IMO. Different strokes I guess...

I thought Unearthly was pretty sweet, but good. Iniquity on the other hand, I almost had to pour out the rest. It started out ok, got old pretty quick.

I think Southern Teir makes interesting beers, but they lack drinkability for me. Like Pumking, in theory a really good beer the way that they included all of those flavors, but I can only get through about half of a bomber before I've had enough. That said I still have 4 bombers in my fridge :) that I enjoy a little bit at a time.

DFH Ta Henket - it seriously tasted like someone drained the liquid out of a can of Rosarita refried beans. I get what they were going for, and my hats off to them for taking that risk... but this one was BAD. Not to mention it set me back $20. Lesson learned.

Dogfish is just too far out there. What about Midas Touch! I bought a four pack, drank one, and then threw the rest out.

Shipyard Applehead. 3 of them in a variety 12 pack, very difficult to finish one.

Dogfish is just too far out there. What about Midas Touch! I bought a four pack, drank one, and then threw the rest out.

Shame. It is pretty good to cook with, particularly in stews. :)

Whattawort said:
I love that dirty bastard. Just wish I could afford to buy it more often. Only place I've found it locally charges $12 for a 6er. A little pricey for me.

Your lucky, in Canada I can't get craft beer cheaper than that ever. I am lucky if a 6 pack of anything costs 13 bucks

allenH said:
Shipyard Applehead. 3 of them in a variety 12 pack, very difficult to finish one.

+1. That's what I have Been screaming, stuff is gross

cookstownbrewer said:
Oh I will. That guy is such a knucklehead.

Seriously though, what part of Canada are you from?

I am originally from a small town near Stratford but now I am in university in Guelph. So SW Ontario. Where ate you from?

Lumpy16 said:
I am originally from a small town near Stratford but now I am in university in Guelph. So SW Ontario. Where ate you from?

I'm originally from Hamilton but I lived in Guelph for a few years while my wife went to the UofG.

Live in Cookstown now...just south of Barrie.

Buffalo Bill Cody Beer, which I'm pretty sure you can only find in WY and MT. If you're in the area and want to try one, don't.

cookstownbrewer said:
I'm originally from Hamilton but I lived in Guelph for a few years while my wife went to the UofG.

Live in Cookstown now...just south of Barrie.

Right on, are you apart of the sob group? (Southern Ontario brewers)

Back