Basic Pumpkin Ale brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metaltff

Reaction score
I'm wanting to brew a Pumpkin Ale soon, all i have is a Mr. Beer kit. I've done a couple batches with it so far, so i'm still pretty new to this stuff. I've found some great looking recipes on here, but, can i do some of this stuff with the simple kit? Or does someone have a basic recipe with using the MB stuff?

Depends what kit,I think those beers are pretty low abv,and I havent really liked many if any low abv pumpkin beers. Not to say you couldnt make a good one. You certainly could use a kit and an amber would be a good start as a base along with some more malt extract to get the abv up to atleast 5% or something. What kit do you have?

to get any final volume with a 2.5 gallon fermentor you're really limited to spice additions instead of actual pumpkin.
lots of kits/recipes just use spices. 1/2 them for 2.5 gallons.

Aaa.. I use 2 gallon fermenters using real pumpkin and used 2 cans before although I think I like 1-1.5 cans of pumpkin for my 1.6 gallon batches. Think my loss was about 3 -4 beers worth. Although my last few I maxxed out my fermenter with volume and only had a one or two beer loss and got lucky on a non vigorous ferment,I think low temps helped too.

Back