Fermented too hot... fixable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaeptnerdnuss

Reaction score
hi there,
as it's winter now in NZ and my house not very warm the temperature in my fermenter drops down to 14 degrees.
two days ago was brewing day and i let the beer sit in the fermenter for one day before i switched on my heat pad this morning which i just borrowed off a friend.
i left the house for a few hours of work which turned out to be 13 hours in the end. when i came home i immediately checked the brews temperature and it was up to 31 degrees!! :eek:
i switched off the heat pad and had to sit down for a beer.... what am i gonna do now? is there any chance to salvage this brew?

cheers, daniel..

Edit: I used Sterling Ale yeast (dry) if that helps. At the moment it's still fermenting like crazy...

Well i'm guessing that you got the temp back down to 20 or so. Is your airlock showing activity. You are probably going to have some off flavors but I don't think that it would ruin the brew. It probably was not in the 30's the entire time anyway. RDW it should still be drinkable.

31 degrees!? That's below freezing! Cultural temperature scales aside, the only thing that can help your beer is time. Just let it ride,
Bottle as normal and taste. If its
Gross leave it alone as long as you can and try another. Don't dump it, it will likely be drinkable.

Cambone said:
31 degrees!? That's below freezing! Cultural temperature scales aside, the only thing that can help your beer is time. Just let it ride,
Bottle as normal and taste. If its
Gross leave it alone as long as you can and try another. Don't dump it, it will likely be drinkable.

Cambone is right, I've had similar and the beer has been fine especially if it's an ale
Even had one that was still no good after 8 weeks but after forgetting about it, found it 10 months later and was quite palatable - more commercial style but drinkable

sorry, as a german kiwi degrees is what i'm used to. ;)
the temperature is down to 22 degrees now but the airlock activity stopped. i guess the yeast didn't survive the high temperature?

off to the home brew shop...

Yeast survived. Forget it. Bottle it. Forget it again (stored warm).

cool one down and taste it.

Banana will go away after 6 months or so, if you even have that.

I think "probably will be drinkable after a long wait" is all you should be expecting. what yeast did you use?

just to complete this thread. i tried the beer last night with some friends and i got a really positive feedback. :mug:
no off flavours but i found out, that english porter is not my favourite style of beer ;) but i was so relieved that it turned out nicely.
btw: this was the recipe i brewed the beer after:

cheers, daniel :mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back