Hops gurus: Your input with a Citra wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smalliewader

Reaction score
I'm playing around with some different hops for this recipe.

Summer Wheat:

6 lbs Red Wheat
4 lbs 2 row
1/2 lb Flaked wheat
1.5 oz. sweet orange zest

WLP320 American Wheat yeast.

Shooting for an easy drinking orange/citrus wheat that takes advantage of the Citra without being overly bitter/dry.

I have Citra, Centennial, Fuggles, Hersbrucker and Cascade. I've never used Citra, but did taste an all Galaxy DIPA that blew me away and I am not a fan of IPA's in general. I'm thinking 1 oz. Centennial (8.1% alpha)60 minutes and .75 oz Citra (13.4% alpha) at 5 minutes.

BrewR software tells me this:
SG 1.052
FG 1.013
Color 3.6 SRM
IBU 33.5 which the high end of the style is ~30.

Will the Citra addition be too strong for the style? Will that addition at 5 minutes give me the complimentary citrus pop from the Citra, but not be too overwhelming?

I realize that most hop heads will laugh at anything in the 30 IBU range...

If this works, I'll try another version with Galaxy when I can find it. I loved that passion fruit/pineapple flavor from it.

Not the person to ask this question too, I just order 2# of citra. Best way to see if you like it, only use one hop in a beer and see how it taste

Hmm...but with only an ounce; if I split it .5 at 60 and .5 at 5, the IBU's are 26.6. Will it work or be too masked? Hops utilization is where I really need to get better in my brewing. So much to learn....

Back