Wine turning to vinagar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C-Rider

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have some "wine" left over from fermenting fruit for another purpose. I put this wine in bottles and put in the fridge. It tasted pretty good at first but now there is this vinegar taste developing in the bottles. How can I stop this?

PS had the same trouble w/some hard cider I made last year. Tasted great, but continued to ferment into vinegar.

If it's truly vinegar, that is aceterobacter contamination. If it's just "sour", that could be a pedio or lactobacillus contamination.

If there is ANY headspace in a wine vessel, that can allow enough oxygen to allow an infection to take hold. In my area, fruitflies are the biggest carrier of aceterobacteri.

If it's truly vinegar, that is aceterobacter contamination. If it's just "sour", that could be a pedio or lactobacillus contamination.

If there is ANY headspace in a wine vessel, that can allow enough oxygen to allow an infection to take hold. In my area, fruitflies are the biggest carrier of aceterobacteri.

Well had a few people over today and a number of us tasted it and it seemed not as bad as I first thought. I even drank a whole lot. Maybe it's just very "dry"?

Back