Irish Stout Ode To Arthur, Irish Stout (Guinness Clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those sound like some amazing pancakes. I just bottled this recipe tonight after a month in the primary; even flat, warm, and sweet from the priming sugar it is still delicious. I used an oz of northern brewer and it still tastes pretty close to Guinness. Not much of the aroma made it into the final product, it's all about the IBUs.

Awesome! I've been dreaming about finally putting in a stout tap and nitro, this maybe the recipe I need to go ahead and do it. Also, you mentioned your Bass Ale. It's another of my favourites, is there any chance you could post that recipe???

Did you use roast barley or black barley for this recipe? Some homebrew stores sell black barley as roast barley, and I want to make sure I'm using the right stuff.

The last time I made this it came out a little lighter then it should be, and I wonder if I may have used the wrong barley.

Yeah you want unmalted black/roasted barley not black/roasted malt. I'm sure you can find something to use it in, there are lots of recipes to try. Look around at the stout, porter, and dark ale recipes for something that uses it, or just make something up.

I didn't use roasted malt. There are two types of roasted barley a 500 srm roasted barley and a 300 srm roasted barley. The recipe calls for 300 srm roasted barley, but I think he might have meant 500 srm roasted barley instead.

Biermuncher could you clear this up for me? And if you actually used 500 srm roast barley could you edit the recipe so others don't repeat my mistake?

Just bottled this, 5 gals, used 1/2 cup priming sugar. One week primary, two weeks secondary. Looked and smelled great. How long will I be able to wait?

The SRM specified in the recipe looks like it's based on 300L roasted barley, I used 510L and ProMash says it should end up around 36 SRM. I tasted it while bottling and it tasted pretty close to Guinness, but I'm far from an expert.

I'm having trouble locating the Acid malt. I have a bottle of Lactic acid. I plan on brewing a 10 gallon batch. Wondering how much lactic acid to use instead of the acid malt? Thanks

I've been really looking forward to tasting this. I was away on vacation for 10 days, where many many Guinnesses were consumed. I kept wondering how mine would compare.

I tried two bottle of this last night. Its close and delicious, but mine missed the mark a bit. A couple of things...the roastyness is too much. Someone else in this thread said it may have to age for up to 6 weeks. Mine has only been bottled for 16 days. It has quite a sharp flavor.

The next thing is that its over-carbonated. I used 1/2 cup priming sugar for the 5 gallon batch, if I do it again, I think I will use even less.

Of course, I don't have nitro capsules in my bottles either (oh how I love that) nor do I have it kegged and pushed through a nitro tap. There's just some things that make Guinness what it is, and I don't have that technology yet.

I've been really looking forward to tasting this. I was away on vacation for 10 days, where many many Guinnesses were consumed. I kept wondering how mine would compare.

I tried two bottle of this last night. Its close and delicious, but mine missed the mark a bit. A couple of things...the roastyness is too much. Someone else in this thread said it may have to age for up to 6 weeks. Mine has only been bottled for 16 days. It has quite a sharp flavor.

The next thing is that its over-carbonated. I used 1/2 cup priming sugar for the 5 gallon batch, if I do it again, I think I will use even less.

Of course, I don't have nitro capsules in my bottles either (oh how I love that) nor do I have it kegged and pushed through a nitro tap. There's just some things that make Guinness what it is, and I don't have that technology yet.

Any beer at only 16 days in the bottle will have some harshness.

As for the carbonation, just use a extra large beer glass and give it a good vigorous pour to knock that CO2 out. If necessary, do a double decant. You might also let the bottle warm at room temp for 10-15 minutes to smooth out the flavorsome.

so how close in taste is this to a guinness in a pub in ireland because that is what i grew up drinking and have never found something quite the same here in america?

I am in the process of making this guinness clone. Getting the formula ready on the Brewers lair calculator. I need to know the target mash temperature?
My first all grain brew is in the secondary fermentor as I type. My first A.G. is a Gumball Head clone. It is a wheat beer from Three Floyds Brewing Company in Munster Indiana. I used 4 ounces of Amirillo hops. makes me thirsty just typing it. I think I went a little crazy from this first all grain. I didnt have my exact fermentation temperature. I was a few degrees off. So I bought a Johnson Controls A419 temperature control unit. I have a probe that goes into the beer. You set your target temp. on the digital display. It will control either a heater or a cooler. You propgram when you want it to kick on the heat or the cooler based on your setting.
I also acquired a 15.5 gallon keg. It was sitting on my back porch for six months. So i used a plasma cutter to cut a hole in the top. So now it is a 15.5 gallon brew kettle. My old 7 gallon pot will now just be for getting my strike and sparge water up to temp. I thought about upgrading my cooler mash tun into a steel mash tun, but decided on being able to do bigger batches was better. Not to mention the fact that I would have to monitor my 7 gallon kettle for boil overs. Well no longer. I guess I have caught the all grain bug.
On my first A.G. I managed to hit my Original gravity. I cracked a huge smile when I took the reading after brewing for 5 hours. Made me feel a little easier when you get the right results. My strike temperature was also spot on based on the calculations i plugged in. I also figured out my grain absorption which was 1.44 gallons of water absorbed into the grain. The calculators default setting was 0.12 gal/lb. which came out to be 1.4 gallons based on 12 pounds of grain. Math is great when you can actually use it in such a great way!

Oh wow. Okay, my Gumball head wheat beer clone had a target mash temp of 153 so that sounds reasonable. It was only a 60 minute mash. Im not questioning you at all here, but what are the advantages to a 90 minute. I know of Dogfish head has a 90 minute. Got a boat load of flavor. I have no problem with the extra time. Im just kind of a white lab coat when it comes to little things like that. I get a kick out of knowing the difference. I am going to do a 5 gallon brew and cut your recipe in half and much appreciate the recipe. How do you feel about souring a few bottles to get that "twang" everyone talks about. Could this be thrown into your recipe or should it be left alone. Is this your own recipe and if so how does one become able to break down a recipe required to maake a clone. Is it just experiencee. Last question, Im sure you answered it already in previous threads. Is this going to taste like bottled/draught in the U.S. or will it be like the bottled/draught if you were in Ireland.

This beer has me back on my game. I was down on my luck and fighting off flavors, so I thought that I'd make a stout.

Wife and I have been drinking it for the last couple of days and it IS GOOD.

This stout + black beans + home grown chile relleno is one hell of a meal. We'll have it at least once a week until either the stout or the chile's run out!

Thanks BM, great beer!

Edit: I used ~1/4tsp acid and it's about right for me. 2 pints and the sour sticks with my tongue, like guinness (I am very sensitive to sour).

Thank you BierMuncher! That was the info I was looking for on the 90 minute mash. Is there an ideal fermentation temp, I can program it in to my fermentation box.

Little question from a little noob:

I'm trying a PM version of this, lacking the big stockpot needed to at least BIAB.

Here's my planned recipe for 5 gallons
6lbs LME
1lbs roast barley
2lbs flaked barley
1/8lbs acid malt
2oz East Kent Goldings
1 sachet of Nottingham

I just realized the recipe I ended up with doesn't have anything really converting the sugars in the flaked barley. 60 grams of acid malt won't do the trick I would imagine.

Should I replace a portion of the LME for a pound of so of 2row? Am I going crazy? :(

Just tapped my keg of this last night to commemorate Guiness's 250th anniversay. Aged 8 weeks and it's a fine stout.

BTW, I'd asked in a separate thread about using WL California Ale yeast for this (as suggested in Ray Daniels book). I used it and it came out quite well. Maybe slightly less fruity(?), but nice and dry. Going to do a side by side w/a Guiness Draught tonight.

Cheers, Arthur Guiness! :mug:

I brewed this up last night with 4.5lbs of 2 row and about 2lbs LME. It is fermenting quite happily. I got 70% efficiency with a BIAB method. What a great way to get started with mashing: it's so nice to see that wort get impossibly black.

It should come out drier with a longer, lower temperature mash. I did 152 for 60 and it came out pretty good but it could probably be drier. I haven't measured the FG so I can't tell you exactly how dry it is. If you're that concerned about a couple of degrees difference you should listen to the BrewStrong on attenuation because there are a lot of other things that can affect it.

I have another 5 gallon batch of this in primary. I found a place locally that sells corney kegs. If I decide to condition this in the keg, do I add priming sugar, or is that only for bottle conditioning/carbonation? If I keg it, I would definitely push with nitogen.

Question:

I was wondering the effects of using a Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale instead of the WL004 Irish Ale? Seems pretty close - and the Wyeast page names this for Extra Stout styles... (Note: I have a 1728 in the fridge, washed, from a Scottish Ale)

WL004
Attenuation: 69-74%
Flocculation: Medium to High
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 65-68°F
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium-High

vs.

Wyeast 1728
Origin:
Flocculation: high
Attenuation: 69-73%
Temperature Range: 55-75° F (13-24° C)
Alcohol Tolerance: approximately 12% ABV

Got one last brew in before the end of the year! Plus my brother was in town from LA!

Classic mix of brewing, Lou Malnatti's Pizza and Bears Football! Oh, and throw in a Stone Ruination IPA while brewing! Perfect!

Brew started at 4pm-ish on Monday before the Bears game
Finished the boil as game started at 7:30pm.
Mashed indoors (damn cold in Chicago now!) - kept Mash Temp (153-152) held for full hour.
*** Need to know how much Sparage water to have on hand... had a bit too much!
Didn't do a pre-boil gravity test... Hit the OG mark well with 1.046!!
Bears won, in a thriller!
Pitched starter at 74 degrees, active bubbling as of 8am. Using the Scottish Ale yeast that I had washed. (Still wonder if the Scottish Ale yeast will effect the flavor profile?)

Thanks for the recipe BierMuncher! It smelled GREAT, I loved the roasted qualities while brewing. Now the hard part ... waiting!

Would you pitch this onto a cake of Windsor?

I'm planning on doing back to back brews, one of which is a bitter using Windsor, the second would be this stout. If I can save a few bucks on yeast, bonus.

Will be brewing this, hopefully sooner than later, with Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale. My yeast comes in on the 27th of January and I have all the grains. Man. Sometimes I am so impatient, I want to do it now!

I have some questions:

1. Can I use 0.5 tsp of baking soda in mash?
2. Can I roast my own barley and get a decent ingredient for this brew?
3. Should I crush flaked barley?

thanks

Back