BM's Blue Balls - Got the Blue, but where's the Balls?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jchadscud

Reaction score
So I brewed the PM version of BM's Blue Balls (Blue Moon clone). I hit the OG and FG perfectly (1.038 and 1.010), but the orange flavor is definitely not present in the sample I tasted going into the keg. Followed the recipe exactly including the fermentation schedule. Beer is perfect in color, just lacking in taste.

Will the chill and carb process bring out the orange flavor? If not, can I dry "hop" some orange peel in the keg to bring out the flavor? Other options?

Flavors change over time. Some things overpower others initally. I've made beers where I thought I could not taste the malt and then it ended up being malty etc. I'd wait.

You can always add the orange later on if it becomes obvious the flavor is lacking but it's ard to remove it.

I've got it on 40psi at room temp for the time being. I may chill and check the taste in a week or so and go from there. I just read a post that said the orange flavor is actually from the coriander seed and not the orange peel.

I'm still accepting suggestions though! I'll dry "hop" some coriander if I have to!:mug:

I think you should get some orange flavor from the peel - I don't think coriander really tastes like orange, though it often accompanies orange. You could try soaking the peel of some organic oranges (so they're not coated with wax) in a small amount of vodka for a couple of weeks to extract the orange flavor, then add the vodka to the secondary.

I'm doing this with a batch right now based on this recipe.

The best way to get the orange that you are looking for is to use zest. Dried peel loses a lot of its flavor. The issue here is that you will need quite a few oranges to get enough zest to bring add a little bit a flavor. It is well worth it though.

When I have done this I have zested two different types of oranges, some grapefruit, and even a little lime. Really added a nice citrus flavor to the beer.

I would use zest as well. The other day i was reading some Oberon posts and people followed an only grain recipe (no zest or citrus at all) and the complained of no citrus flavor like Oberon. From my recollection of Oberon from last year, i think i would be insane to not put a bunch of orange zest in there. But what do i know...

One stupid question for you....Did you remember to crush the coriander seed before you put it in?

Not stupid at all, but I did remember. I didn't rehydrate the orange peel prior to putting it in the boil, so that could be part of the problem. I took the remaining orange peel (.25oz) and started soaking them in vodka. I'll also try the zest suggestion. Any other ideas, keep 'em coming!

Only zest if you can get bitter oranges. Wits rely on the oranges to finish balancing the bittering, and they don't pull much citrus character from them. Sweet orange zest is going to make for a really sweet/citrusy flavor that's totally out of character for a good wit.

Thanks for the heads up on the sweet/bitter zest. I'm trying to replicate the Blue Moon that my girlfriend enjoys, so it will really be up to her taste. She drinks regular Blue Moon with an orange slice squeezed in, so I'm guessing she would enjoy the sweet citrusy zest.

I'll add in small amounts and see what I can come up with. The keg is chilled and force carbing for right now.

I find that fresh zest at flamout adds the most orange flavor. I added some to the fermenter and it added a little bit too much bitter that I am not sure if it is the hops or orange bitter. Granted the longer it has been in the keg, it is getting more of that aroma.

If you are looking for more aroma, a little bit of orange extract will make the aroma really pop.

Coriander almost always overpowers initially but over the course of a few weeks it mellows and the other flavors come out. I have a Wit conditioning right now and it's really got a lot of coriander flavor right now but it's better than it was a week ago.

I tasted a little today and the basics are there, just missing the orange flavor. I splashed a little OJ in the sample and it tasted great! I'm going to dump some of the vodka soaked bitter orange and then zest some sweet orange in vodka and add that. Hopefully, she'll turn out right for me.

Only zest if you can get bitter oranges. Wits rely on the oranges to finish balancing the bittering, and they don't pull much citrus character from them. Sweet orange zest is going to make for a really sweet/citrusy flavor that's totally out of character for a good wit.

I disagree. Use the zest of whatever citrus fruit you can find, Oranges, Grapefruit, lime, lemon, tangerine. Check out the this podcast episode of the Jamil show for some more ideas on your next wit.
http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/The-Jamil-Show/Witbier-The-Jamil-Show-03-13-06

Back