First Batch Adventures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nibiyabi

Reaction score
In brewing my very first batch of homebrew, I made several mistakes:
1. didn't swap out the slightly-upgraded macroswill-style ingredient kit that came with my equipment
2. transferred the beer from the carboy to the keg by pouring it in with a funnel rather than using the siphon I already have -- major alcohol-induced brain fart :(
3. transferred the beer from the carboy to the keg without adding corn sugar, so boiled it and added it after I had already pressurized the keg; repressurized the keg
4. could not find a mini fridge that would fit my keg, so broke down and bought a $300 wine cooler that only goes down to 46ºF, which would be fine for just about every beer I plan to brew except the one I made
5. let it sit in that temperature for a week before I bought a proper kegerator

Lo and behold, after cutting off the end of the spout hose (which was meant to screw in to a half-keg, despite the website claiming that it could fit 2 Corny kegs) and yanking the Corny keg connector from the hose that came with the keg followed by shoving it into the newly-cut hose from the kegerator, I pulled the tap and beer flowed forth! After having several glasses to zero in on the correct CO2 pressure, I have beer! Actual beer coming out of the kegerator, and I made it! :ban: It's rather flavorless, but pretty refreshing -- definitely better than BMC and even some "upgraded" versions like Asahi, for instance. Old Greg's Classic Beer Pong Ale is a success! :rockin:

P.S. I'm returning the wine cooler tomorrow. :D

sounds like success to me!

FWIW, if you're kegging and serving with CO2, you can skip the priming with corn sugar

I wouldn't count #2 as a mistake... a lot of people transfer wort that way, it helps aerate it. Heck, my ingredient kit recommended pouring the wort back and forth a few times.

And now that I think about it, #1 was hardly a mistake either- if something really went wrong with it, you would only be out the free ingredients. It was like getting a good practice run!

Congrats on your first batch... mine is about ready to transfer, I can't wait to drink this thing.

I wouldn't count #2 as a mistake... a lot of people transfer wort that way, it helps aerate it. Heck, my ingredient kit recommended pouring the wort back and forth a few times.

And now that I think about it, #1 was hardly a mistake either- if something really went wrong with it, you would only be out the free ingredients. It was like getting a good practice run!

Congrats on your first batch... mine is about ready to transfer, I can't wait to drink this thing.

Yeah, but it sounds like he was transferring the already fermented beer to the keg, not the wort to the carboy. Doh!

Back