Mash with Beans (i.e. Garbanzo, Black, etc)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkade

Reaction score
I haven't been able to really find any information on this, but I was wondering about the possibility of treating beans as an adjunct. I feel like, for example, garbanzo beans have a nice flavor and nuttiness that could be good in certain beers. If you were to cook the beans like normal, crush them (of course we'll be using rice hulls in this theoretical mash), and then subject them to a beta glucanase, protein and sach rest, it seems like they should convert like any other starch. Does anyone have thoughts or experience with this subject? Thanks.

-Matt

I thought beans gave off some funky gases that don't seem like they'd be welcome in a beer but who knows? Maybe they're all gone by the time you cook them fully.

Getting the hamhock through the neck of a carboy might be difficult though.:D

Having smelled/tasted fermenting garbanzos before, I would say that the thought of drinking that fluid does not appeal to me. Also, based on that experience, i would suspect that the flavor might be really sour.

No, but it's about attempting to convert different non traditionaly starches into sugar, in order to ferment them..which in effect you are trying to do, right???? And like you said, you've had a difficult time finding info on it...that's because it's not something commonly used in making beers....like many of the ingredients in that thread....

There has to be a really good reason, besides flatulence, that beans haven't been used. I'm going to guess the protein content affects the fermentation somehow, and not for the better. That's really the only thing beans have that grains don't.

Back