Non-Alcoholic homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

addis29

Reaction score
My dad loves my homebrew but has recently started taking medication where he can't drink alcohol. Has anyone ever done a non alcoholic homebrew.

I wondered if you have found out any more information for brewing non alcoholic beer. The infor I have found in the past few days suggest a high water to malt ratio in conjunction with a good dose of unfermentables(for body) and a low attenuating yeast. After fermentation heat by stove top or oven to 174 degrees F for 30 minutes to burn off alcohol.
I am a bit stumped on bottle conditioning as to how much yeast and surgar use as I believe cooking the beer will kill the yeast in the beer. If you are kegging you can force CO2 and let it condition.

I will be experimenting on a 1 gallon batch of all grain stout this week end.

To bottle condition after heating, you'll have to add yeast (a cheap dry yeast like Munton's is fine) and prime normally. You will end up under 0.5% ABV and close to 0.25% if you do everything right.

It is funny I have a few 12 stepper friends. they dont even drink the NA beer because of the small amount of booze in it. they even dont drink anything naturally carbonated.

I have never had luck bottle conditioning N/A beer. I've taken an entire packet of nottingham, rehydrated, and mixed in at priming time. Carbonation was spotty at best. I wouldn't recommend it until you can force-carb. That, and when you naturally carb, the priming adds a little bit of alcohol back in, so...if it's a zero-tolerance thing, it's not ideal. I have a batch of boston ale on tap for the pregnant wife right now, she loves it. The key was a post-dealcoholization hop tea in a french press :D. Boiling out the alcohol also tends to boil out much of the hop flavor and aroma.

No ABV.....what's the use? Drink water :rockin:

Oh, yes, how awesome you are for positing such an awesome assertion :rolleyes: You even added the "rockin" emoticon. Man, you are HARD CORE, dude. Whooo, yay booze! :rolleyes:

First off, my dad's been sober for 20+ years, but he still likes the taste of beer. Why don't you go ask him "what's the use"?

Secondly, my wife has a fetus in her belly the size of an avocado right now, but she loves the taste of beer. Why don't you go ask her "what's the use"?

Here's the thing: not everyone is a drunk-ass college kid, and getting blasted is not always the primary goal. So perhaps, next time you think about posting such nonsense, you should think again.

Owwww, while Evan put it a bit harsher than me, Im going to have to agree with him.

Homebrewing - Whats the point? Drink store bought beer - its cheaper and quicker and half the challenge!

I would honestly have to say that if I was in this hobby for the alcohol value alone then I wouldnt be here long. Creating a craft beer vs a crap beer is what its about. If I wanted plain ol ABV then I would buy a 12 pack of Natty Light, or some PBR, or even take a shot of formaldehyde.

As much as I hate to say it, I actually dumped a higher ABV concoction that I made because it got me torn beyond recognition with little enjoyment of it inbetween. To me, thats not the point of homebrewing. The buzz provided by the alcohol compliments the buzz of satisfaction from the enjoyment of my craft.
-Me

I had a post about this recently with some good info I will summarize here.

1. Ken Schwartz wrote an article you can find on his homepage about homebrewing low alcohol beer in it he references some HBD posts by Maribeth Raines who is a research scientist with access to a professional lab who also used to run a yeast supply company.

2. Everyone will recommend the heating thing but the only person I am aware of who has tested this in a homebrew setting is Raines and it works poorly. See the Schwartz article or search for the Raines posts on HBD which detail her testing methods. I firmly believe if she can't do it in her kitchen, the rest of us can't either.

3. See if you can find saccharomyces ludwigii, which does not produce ethanol. The problem is it also does not produce esters that are part of what beer tastes like.

I'm not trying to be a dick about the heating method but I think it is spectacularly misguided to serve beer treated in such a way to someone who cannot have alcohol for some reason unless you are directly testing the alcohol content of the beer and confirming that you have achieved nearly complete alcohol reduction.

Oh, yes, how awesome you are for positing such an awesome assertion :rolleyes: You even added the "rockin" emoticon. Man, you are HARD CORE, dude. Whooo, yay booze! :rolleyes:

First off, my dad's been sober for 20+ years, but he still likes the taste of beer. Why don't you go ask him "what's the use"?

Secondly, my wife has a fetus in her belly the size of an avocado right now, but she loves the taste of beer. Why don't you go ask her "what's the use"?

Here's the thing: not everyone is a drunk-ass college kid, and getting blasted is not always the primary goal. So perhaps, next time you think about posting such nonsense, you should think again.

Evan, you do have a wonderful way with words. But I agree 100%. Not everyone can handle/have alcohol, and the reasons stated here are great examples.
I know that each time my wife was pregnant, even though she loves a good brew, wouldn't get anywhere close to it. Of course, she wouldn't even sniff an open bottle of Tylenol when she had a raging headache.

Can you justify this claim?

If fermentation is complete, there are no fermentables left in the beer. Corn sugar that would be used for priming has the potential of 1.046. At 0.3lb in 5 gal would raise the SG .003. If it ferments completely, that would raise the ABV 0.26% ABV..... And in reality, it probably wouldn't attenuate that far, so the actual percentage would be even lower.

If fermentation is complete, there are no fermentables left in the beer. Corn sugar that would be used for priming has the potential of 1.046. At 0.3lb in 5 gal would raise the SG .003. If it ferments completely, that would raise the ABV 0.26% ABV..... And in reality, it probably wouldn't attenuate that far, so the actual percentage would be even lower.

Yeah but what about the alcohol that is already in the beer?

i actually did half of my oatmeal stout Non- alcolol for my father to be able to drink some as well. he hates drinking the store bought watered down non-acohol beer so i made him a nice flavorfull beer non alcohol.

remilard, I pounded several pints of mine and didn't feel the slightest buzz. Scientific? Nope. But safe enough that my wife can have a pint and we're both comfortable with it. If there was a true absolute zero tolerance for some reason, then it'd be a concern. But there's not. Off the record, our OB/GYN told us that the real concern is heavy drinking, and so their official line is zero tolerance mainly because of those people who can't stop after one. So a glass of wine or beer here and there is okay...and if that's okay, then so's a trace amount of alcohol possibly leftover from the boiling process.

Yeah but what about the alcohol that is already in the beer?

If you boiled it off it wouldnt be there... and also im afraid some of the taste would change and go away as well becasue of the boiling process... but my dad informed me that many beers were pasturized with heat not so long ago becasue the FDA required it... Now a days it is not required because many beers are not pasturized and the ones that are are pastuized with UV or another form.

But if your interested in an non-achohlaic beer then you would i would try that recipe and look around sommore... i never tried a non-achohlic beer, but i have brewed ginger beer(NA) and root beer (NA) and it seemed simple enough.

Cheers

That was pretty much addressed in the first three posts, I believe.
My post was just a response for "justifying" the ABV left behind after bottle conditioning....

I agree that the ABV after bottle condition is marginally higher than the ABV before, just not that any method has been presented that will get the ABV before anywhere near 0.

I agree that the ABV after bottle condition is marginally higher than the ABV before, just not that any method has been presented that will get the ABV before anywhere near 0.

Fallowing the quote below this and increaseign the boil off time from 30- 45 or 50mins would get your ABV easily below .5% and that last .5% would be in solution with the water molacue and hard to break, and i more likely to be mostly low wines or fusels (in extreamly dilute form and undangerous) because they merge completely with water unlike ethonol which dose not completely dissolve, just a simpler bond then the lower wines

I wondered if you have found out any more information for brewing non alcoholic beer. The infor I have found in the past few days suggest a high water to malt ratio in conjunction with a good dose of unfermentables(for body) and a low attenuating yeast. After fermentation heat by stove top or oven to 174 degrees F for 30 minutes to burn off alcohol.
I am a bit stumped on bottle conditioning as to how much yeast and surgar use as I believe cooking the beer will kill the yeast in the beer. If you are kegging you can force CO2 and let it condition.

I will be experimenting on a 1 gallon batch of all grain stout this week end.

after that i would think that below .26% + <.5% would be close to zero... its really damn close to zero... to get a taceable ABV you would need to drink sevral beers, and becasue of the high ammount of unfermentable sugars you would have alot of calories in your beer and drinking more then 3 or 4 would make you feel pretty sloshy... if your worried about that added 1/4 of a percent then you force carb with dry ice or bottled CO2, just like you do with brewed soda... that along with purge boiling would make your ABV addition because of bottling below .1%... and you wont even be able to measure that without a mass spect or gas crom teseting... and you certinly wont beable to taste it... and it would take many more bottles to give you an overal ABV of 1%... and youd piss it out before you even got that high, not tomention youd have to drink them all with in roughly an hour... for that even to registure... If your worried about this then your probably worried about the effects of breathing in orgainic Aclohal Based cleaners, Hand sanitizer, mouth wash, and the ammount of Methonol/ethyl acetate generated in diet soda from the beak down of nutisweet... that seems a bit extream to me... and your basically makeing beer flavored soda... if your really bothered by it then im sorry but you will have to work on it more then that... i know that store bought NA's claim less then .5% and if your father in law can drink those then he should have no problem with this solution

Cheers

i have done sevral of my own distilations purely for educational purposes only of course... and after 50 minutes of distilation have found the achohal level lower then my hydrometer could regesture... the last line on my hydrometer is 1/2%... and i have done this sevral times... so i guess personal experience... but also inferior equipment... in case your wondering i let the remaining wort cool down to 70F before i tested it... Granted it was only about a gallon of brew which was heated, not 5 gallons

Cheers

i have done sevral of my own distilations purely for educational purposes only of course... and after 50 minutes of distilation have found the achohal level lower then my hydrometer could regesture... the last line on my hydrometer is 1/2%... and i have done this sevral times... so i guess personal experience... but also inferior equipment... in case your wondering i let the remaining wort cool down to 70F before i tested it... Granted it was only about a gallon of brew which was heated, not 5 gallons

Cheers

I could be misunderstanding you here, but you do know that the % alcohol scale on the hydrometer is a measure of the potential alcohol (if all the sugar present was fermented). Any finished beer will have very little potential to make more alcohol. I could be wrong about what you're saying, maybe it just went over my head.

I could be misunderstanding you here, but you do know that the % alcohol scale on the hydrometer is a measure of the potential alcohol (if all the sugar present was fermented). Any finished beer will have very little potential to make more alcohol. I could be wrong about what you're saying, maybe it just went over my head.

I got another one which shows achohal percent persent, it says hydrometer on the box but it maybe called somthing else... i used that

Cheers

My brother in-law has liver enzyme issues and he drinks Odouls. It tastes terrible. I would love to lay a great tasting alcohol free home brew on him. Once yen's guys figure it all out and are able to produce a successful naturally carbonated batch I'd appreciate if you'd share the recipe with me. I not an all grainer so I'd only be able to follow recipes for extract kit conversions. Thanks...

How about only doing an initial 30 min boil adding your bittering hops, then chill and ferment. After fermentation, rack to the boil kettle and boil again for 30 min adding your flavor and aroma hops before chilling a second time and straight to keg.

Thoughts?

-J

How about only doing an initial 30 min boil adding your bittering hops, then chill and ferment. After fermentation, rack to the boil kettle and boil again for 30 min adding your flavor and aroma hops before chilling a second time and straight to keg.

Thoughts?

-J

I know this will not result in very low alcohol beer (probably about a 40% reduction in alcohol) and I think it will result in a bad tasting beer (although adding the extra hops is probably a good idea).

At what temperature does finished beer boil? From what I recall, it will remain at the boiling temperature of ethanol (176 F?) until all of the ethanol boils off. Any temperature over 176 and the etOH absorbs the heat of the solution until etOH heat of vaporization is met and the etOH boils away, leaving behind the rest.

My concern is, doesn't the alpha acid neutralize the alcohol? So much less bittering hops would be needed. So, use very little bittering hops, and after fermentation is complete boil in brew kettle until temperature surpasses 176. Then add flavor and aroma hops, cool, and bottle.

I got another one which shows achohal percent persent, it says hydrometer on the box but it maybe called somthing else... i used that

Cheers

That doesn't tell you anything. A lot of hydrometers have an alcohol potential on them which is related to specific gravity. The only way to tell alcohol percentage this way is to know prefermentation gravity and post fermentation gravity, subtract the difference and do some math.

Using the potential alcohol percentage scale essentially skips some math but you still have to subtract prefermentation alcohol percentage from post fermentation alcohol percentage. Check a finished alcohol beer sometime, it will read almost zero Potential alcohol but that doesn't mean there is no alcohol in it. And actually if the alcohol was boiled off and you were trying to measure it this way for some reason, the specific gravity would actually increase.

i would think that keeping the fermentation aerobic rather than anaerobic would greatly reduce the alcohol produced , this could maybe be done with a aquaruim air pump , an inline micron filter and air stone, i would just try this during peak fermentaion

I have been sober for 2 1/2 years and I really love the taste of beer. I am interested in homebrewing again. Did it many years ago and had some great brews. However i am wondering how to get it right without the alcohol. I understand why some people would think its pointless to drink beer with out the alcohol. If they had lived my life they would understand..... Brewing and drinking beer is a great hobby and I really enjoyed sharing my brews. Anyone have tips on how to get started on this again?

Wow. This post is 2+ years old and it managed to rub me the wrong way at 10am on a Sunday morning. I am sure that the poster of this comment will never see my reply to it but I dont care.

My mother was a "raging" alcoholic for most of my childhood. I have a very relevant experience living through this disease. She ended up seeking help when I was about 16 years old. I spent numerous hours sitting in on A.A. meetings are hearing how alcohol ruined their lives.

A year or so ago she started her slow decline into relapse again. Guess where that started? Non-Alcoholic beer. She convinced herself and everyone else around her that she just missed "the taste". I am sorry but for someone to be sober for 20+ years then to all of sudden crave the taste is clearly someone looking to drink again.

As for a pregnant woman, if your drinking non-alcoholic beer, GUESS WHAT? You are still ingesting alcohol. The baby is still having that small amount of alcohol course through its body! Guess what? That small amount of alcohol can still have damaging effects on a fetus! In America it is generally recommended that a pregnant woman ingest ZERO. NONE. NO ALCOHOL.

Lastly, Thinking that anyone who enjoys beer for the alcohol that it contains, is a binge drinking college kid would be complete ignorance.

To sum this all up, alcohol is a key component to the flavor of a beer. If you love the taste of beer, then you love the taste of alcohol. If you want to brew session beer to limit your alcohol consumption, I get it. If you want to brew near beer with barely any alcohol to limit your consumption, I get it. If you want to brew non-alcoholic beer to create a substitute for real beer, then I think you should rethink what you are really trying to do.

I have been sober for 2 1/2 years and I really love the taste of beer. I am interested in homebrewing again. Did it many years ago and had some great brews. However i am wondering how to get it right without the alcohol. I understand why some people would think its pointless to drink beer with out the alcohol. If they had lived my life they would understand..... Brewing and drinking beer is a great hobby and I really enjoyed sharing my brews. Anyone have tips on how to get started on this again?

If you read through the various threads on the topic, you will find that although heating the beer after fermentation will reduce the alcohol content, it is totally impossible to eliminate it all. You will hear from various people who obviously were not paying attention in high school science who will tell you the following:

At what temperature does finished beer boil? From what I recall, it will remain at the boiling temperature of ethanol (176 F?) until all of the ethanol boils off. Any temperature over 176 and the etOH absorbs the heat of the solution until etOH heat of vaporization is met and the etOH boils away, leaving behind the rest.

This is completely incorrect, water and ethanol mixtures have boiling points which correspond to concentration. As ethanol vapourizes, the boiling point of the mixture goes up, increasing the amount of water that vaporizes with the ethanol. You will know when all of the ethanol is gone, because all the water will be gone as well.

It is possible to significantly reduce alcohol content while water remains (into the realm of 1% or less) but it is not possible to eliminate it entirely.

I didn't really want to, but I read this entire thing and I have a concern, off the OP that has not been addressed; If you are talking about a drug interaction with alcohol - I think you better FIND OUT if the interaction can occur at the very low ABV% most N/A beer does have... I don't think it can be made totally alcohol-free. Even distillation (because the process has a curve to it) leaves behind longer-chain volatiles that boil off too close to the water content and are left in the base liquid.

I haven't read the 35+ posts on this two year old thread.
but can't you just brew as normal and not pitch any yeast to make a non-alcohol brew?

You could - its called malta. They sell commercial varieties in latin food sections of supermarkets. Never bought it but I imagine it tastes just like sweet wort.

Back