Carbonation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sputs10

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Got a quick question about carbonation. I transferred my 1st homebrew (amber ale) to bottle 2 weeks ago. Is it possible to over carbonate? I opened one for a taste test yesterday and it foamed over instantly and wouldn't stop. Also, it tasted very high in carbonation, but like I said, since this was my first attempt, I'm not sure what to expect. Should I just wait a couple more weeks?? Is there something I can do or is this batch trash? Maybe just over reacting, but if I did screw something up, do you have any idea what?

Thanks in advance!!

It shouldn't gush like that after just 2 weeks. How long did you let it ferment. Sounds like there was still some fermentation going on when you bottled. How much sugar did you put in the batch and what temp has it been kept at.
Watch out for bottle bombs....

That was my thoughts. I let it ferment for 2 weeks and the hydrometer said it was complete. Maybe I made a mistake reading the hydrometer? It has been sitting in the bottles at 64 degrees. I used the recommened amount of corn sugar, whatever came in the kit, I forget exactly how much. Also, I used a dry yeast, and it didn't show any visual signs after day 4-5. So, is this batch ruined?

How much wort did you end up with after transferring to your FV?

If you hit your target gravity, and are gushing at 2 weeks in the bottle, then I would look at the amount of priming sugar used. If you primed for 5 gals but I only had 4.5 gals or less, you might have over carbonated. How many bottles did you cap with this batch?

What was your sanitization process prior to bottling? Also, like Nuggethead asked, can you tell us how much priming sugar you used and what your batch size is?

Refrigerate them as soon as possible. Cold crash to slow that yeast down and drive more CO2 into solution. But be careful man, Bottle Bombs are bad news.
Hopefully it was just a warm beer with a little too much carbonation and not a dangerous situation.

Thanks guys!! Ill get them in the fridge soon. It was 5 oz. corn sugar and I bottled 50 bottles.

Thanks guys!! Ill get them in the fridge soon. It was 5 oz. corn sugar and I bottled 50 bottles.

There's your problem. If the beer was at 60F and you bottled a full 5 gallons (about 53 bottles) you should have used about 3 1/2 oz. of priming sugar. Here's a link to a calculator that will be helpful with future batches:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

I'd suggest chilling them as others suggested and open carefully. May not have bottle bombs at that carbonation level but will definitely be an adventure opening them. :) Try not to feel too bad about it. Probably everyone on this forum has been through the same thing. I know I have.

Cheers! :mug:

You know, they always package 5oz. and if you use a priming calculator it rarely calls for more than
4.3oz.
I do feel better about your situation after reading you used 5oz. for 50 bottles. That should not be dangerous, assuming you were truly at FG. Just e x t r a foamy. Chill them well. Good Luck! :mug:

I don't know if this will work or not, maybe someone will chime in if I'm having a senior moment, These bottles have been carbing for 2 weeks, so there is still some carbonation yet to occur. Would it work to chill the bottles to help put the C02 into solution and then carefully uncap them to release the current over pressure and then recap and let carbonation continue?????

I don't know if this will work or not, maybe someone will chime in if I'm having a senior moment, These bottles have been carbing for 2 weeks, so there is still some carbonation yet to occur. Would it work to chill the bottles to help put the C02 into solution and then carefully uncap them to release the current over pressure and then recap and let carbonation continue?????

I tried that with a batch I overcarbed early in my brewing because someone here suggested it. I couldn't see where it did all that much good. I uncapped a case and a half of beer and left them on the kitchen table for a couple of hours and then re-capped them all. Didn't have gushers but I still had to open them over the kitchen sink and it took a while to pour a glass.

The good news is the beer tasted just fine. And it sure would be worth a try.

You know, they always package 5oz. and if you use a priming calculator it rarely calls for more than
4.3oz.
I do feel better about your situation after reading you used 5oz. for 50 bottles. That should not be dangerous, assuming you were truly at FG. Just e x t r a foamy. Chill them well. Good Luck! :mug:

5 oz for a 5 gallon batch isn't only *safe but it's what I use every time I bottle a batch. Carbonation levels in beer is as much a style guideline as it is personal preference. (*safe: assumes fermentation was finished)

To me, most beers seem undercarbed when using less than 5oz/5gal. In fact, I once had a judge comment that a Blonde Ale I entered could be more carbonated for style. I used 5.2oz in that 5 gallon batch.

It's also worth noting that I use Turbinado Cane sugar which tends to ferment easier than corn sugar.

So I don't think the amount of priming sugar is the cause of foaming. You should chill one down and see if that helps.

Can you tell us how you sanitized everything at bottle time? Did you boil the water/priming sugar mixture, etc..?

thats very strange.. 5oz's is fine. hell ive used a cup and a half on my wits and thats still ok.

Latest posts

Back