timing of the lme, dme additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badbeer

Reaction score
hello again, might be a simple question but I was wondering what the time difference makes on adding LME or DME to the boil?? If I use two cans of LME, 6.6 lbs at the start of the boil, how would that differ from adding 1 can at the start and the other at maybe 5 mins left or at flame out???? does that have an effect on the flavor maybe??? the same goes for adding honey or maple sugar or even chocolate???
thanks again in advance for any responce !!!!!
BADBEER:)

The longer DME or LME are in the boil, the more caramelization will take place. As you boil, the wort will get darker and darker. I don't know if it changes the flavor or not. If you want to make a really light colored beer, adding the last of the LME or DME at the end of the boil will help.

When i do extract i always do the extract late method i think the beer comes out lighter in color esp when your using lme.Lme always seems to get like a concentrated twang ...at least in my exp.

Yeah,adding only about 1/3 of the extract at the start of the boil makes for lighter color & cleaner flavor. It can elliminate or greatly reduce that twang & darker color. I use DME in the boil & all the LME at flame out.
In my PM ales,the fresh wort makes up 50% of the fermentables,so I use that for all hop additions. Then add the extract at flame out. Works well for lighter colored better tasting beers. Try it & see for yourself.

I have switched to mostly making my own recipes/modifying recipes I find online, and using DME instead of LME. More cost, but the beer has been much better, so far. I add 3lbs dme at start, and 3lbs dme at 15 minutes left. if using less than 6lbs dme, I add 3 at end and whatever else at beginning, more than 6lbs, I use 3lbs to start and rest at 15min. I tend to use just extra light, unless making a wheat beer. Specialty grains are where I build my flavor/color.

But, I think its time for a Partial Mash set up. I can get my costs down to near LME levels without the twang. DME doesn't seem to give any twang, so far.

DME has always brewed pretty clean for me too. I have a 5G (20 QT) SS stock pot I use for both AE & PM beers. A paint strainer bag & a 3.5 gallon boil work well for me. I mash 5lbs in 2 gallons of water & sparge with 1.5 gallons.

Back