Kane Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrapes

Reaction score
Through conversations here I found Kane Brewery in Ocean Twsp. Stopped in last night and back today. A pretty cool place, little bar, beer flight 4 for $4, growlers sold and filled, working brewery you can walk around. Good beer, I brought home a growler of Single Fin. A nice stop.

A Carton trip is next.

4 for $4 is a good price for a nice size taste at a fledgling brewery. The place was busy Friday and I took some friends on Saturday, nice crowd then too.

and now the growler is empty

Carton is awesome, hopefully the Brewer (I think his name is Jesse) gives you a tour. He's a really cool guy and you can tell he loves his beer. I toured with him at the Brewery and I also got to talk to him for a bit at a beer fest. I've kinda gotten lucky and on 4 of the Breweries I've toured on I've gotten to tour with the Head Brewer. Carton, Cooperstown, Flying Fish, and Heavy Seas. The Head Brewer at Heavy Seas loved me cause I was wearing an Ommegang shirt and I got hooked up with special beers.

I am not the person who cares if you pay for samples or not, usually it's aroudn the same price you'd pay anyway, and if it works out as a little more cash for the Brewer that's cool. I've done free and paid and I enjoy both.

I love just about everything from Kane. Great stuff. I was lucky enough to have a tour from Mike when I went. I don't remember paying, but I have no problem supporting their work. While I was there I bought a pint glass, t shirt, and growler so the extra $4 would not have been noticed. Looking forward to going back and then hitting up Carton as well.

Did my first trip there the other day while they had their Stout Fest! Nice little brewery and the prices were reasonable. Most breweries I went too they would do growlers for around $20 but they are doing refills for $15 and new growler filled for $20. I can only comment on their stouts as it was all they had on tap but some of them were remarkable!

Kane is blowing all other NJ breweries out of the water right now. Head High is one of my absolute favorite IPAs on either coast. And as rpryor said, they are doing amazing things with stouts (and porters, and belgian dark strong ale, and everything else they brew). Mike Kane loves talking about the beer and the brewing process, and the whole operation when you visit is 100% about the beer.

I take Carton over Kane myself. Kane is great, but Boat beer, 077XX, BDG, Harvest 2012 Citra.

Though Kane is great as well, Head High is excellent, but 077XX is better, JMO.

I take Carton over Kane myself. Kane is great, but Boat beer, 077XX, BDG, Harvest 2012 Citra.

Though Kane is great as well, Head High is excellent, but 077XX is better, JMO.

I actually disagree entirely! But I hate to pit the two against one another. It's a lot better to keep everyone on the same team, ya dig?

Kane is blowing all other NJ breweries out of the water right now. Head High is one of my absolute favorite IPAs on either coast. And as rpryor said, they are doing amazing things with stouts (and porters, and belgian dark strong ale, and everything else they brew). Mike Kane loves talking about the beer and the brewing process, and the whole operation when you visit is 100% about the beer.

What the heck do you ask guys like Mike Kane? Or any other brewer? Hops, grain? I always feel like an idiot....I'm a home brewerrrrrr. They are so beyond me and my 5 gallon bucket. I love looking, when I was there the yeast was just cooking, pouring out good stuff into a blow off bucket. .

Kane, Carton, Basil Ts, all good but I really enjoyed Harvest Moons Jimmy D's Firehouse Red.

In a week or two I'm doing some travelling and my growler will be with me, ya never know where ya stop at the end of the day.

+ 1 with some love for Kane! Great beers. No slight to Carton, who makes plenty of good stuff, but I think Kane is better.

scrapes, I've only had the chance to meet a couple of pro brewers since starting off myself, but I always mention that I'm a relatively new home brewer and ask if they have any advise on technique, style what equipment should come next, etc. Mike Kane was especially open to offering advising and telling stories from his homebrew days.

Last time I was at Ferment the World brew club at Harvest Moon, the head brewer, Kyle hung out with the gang the whole time. Nice guy and you can get feedback on your own beer.

Back