No Carbonation after two weeks in bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrayriver

Reaction score
I usually get well carbonated beer after two weeks. My golden strong is still flat. No I typically lager all my beer for two weeks to clean up and clarify, then since its so clear (yeast dropping out), when I am siphoning into the bottling bucket I stir the yeast cake at the end to make sure there is enough yeast for bottle conditioning. This has always worked perfectly, but this time, I'm totally flat. Should I wait or open the bottles and drop a few granuals of yeast? Any suggestions THAT HAVE WORKED?

:confused:

In fermenters: IRS w/coconut, Summer Sour

Golden strong I would think is high abv beer and they usually take longer to carb than lower abv brews do.I would not be concerned about it.Give it at least 2 or 3 more weeks,keeping them at or around 70 degrees(they may take longer sometimes it just does). Waiting for me has always worked.

Also it the brew in the fermenter is Russain Imperial Stout instead of IRS it may take quite awhile to carb and condition.

High abv and cool storage temperatures are a recipe for long carbonation times. Try to get your beer above 21°c (70°f) and that will help.

I would not even bother checking a bottled beer for at least 3 weeks. 2 weeks is too soon.

This. I have a 1.05x beer (x is somewhere between 3 and 9, had some trouble measuring it) that I cold crashed for a week before bottling. I gave it a try after 2 weeks and it had the faintest bit of carbonation, but it's nowhere near ready. I'll try again after another 2 weeks or so. That there's any carbonation means the yeast are at work, so they just need more time. So for something higher gravity than this, it'll take even longer because the conditions just aren't very good for the yeast. Only the best and brightest can work in that kind of ABV environment. Have faith.

Baseline for typical gravity beers is three weeks at 70 degrees F. Higher gravity or cooler temps mean that carbonation will take longer.

If you pitched the right amount of sugar, the beer WILL carb up - just give it time.

Honestly, any sort of "strong" beer indicates to me that you should probably be looking more at a 4-6 week range for proper carbonation.

Back