Sediment filter for racking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinstan

Reaction score
What can I use for filtering off more sediment while racking my wine ? Does anyone make a mesh bag or something that can be used on the end of my racking cane ? Or end of the hose ?

What is everyone using ?

What can I use for filtering off more sediment while racking my wine ? Does anyone make a mesh bag or something that can be used on the end of my racking cane ? Or end of the hose ?

What is everyone using ?

Nothing. You let the lees fall, and then rack from above the lees. No need for any filtering or anything at all.

I splash rack over a flour sack folded in half and in half again, BUT all my wines are bottled to be drank young. It is the only way I can get my daily recommended intake of fruit. :)

I racked my first batch of Skeeter Pee last Saturday while brewing a batch of AK47 Pale Mild. I racked it into my bottling bucket, let it sit over night, then racked it again into a 5 gallon carboy.

I used a funnel and one coffee filter and ran the SP real slow into the carboy. I also pulled off one gallon for a family event later that day. The SP in the one gallon jug looks real clear even though it's only about 2 weeks old.

FWIW.

Letting a wine sit in a bucket "over night" is a really bad idea. Needs to be free from oxygen infiltration. Unless you sulfited the batch, it may be oxidized.

Letting a wine sit in a bucket "over night" is a really bad idea. Needs to be free from oxygen infiltration. Unless you sulfited the batch, it may be oxidized.

Just a quick question about oxidation and long-term storage. I am a minimalist wine maker. I use sugar, fruit and/or juice and champagne yeast. I usually make 4 1/2 gallons at a time, in a 5 gallon bucket. As I stated before, I drink it young and most of my wine is made where when a bucket is ready to be bottled, the previous one has already been drank. I made some crappy watermelon wine this summer and it has been bottled since July. I opened one up, because of "poor bucket timing" on my part, and 1) it still tasted like crap, and 2) I don't think it has oxidized. What happens when it does oxidize and how long does it take? Okay so that is two quick questions. Thanks, Annie

I've had some Reisling oxidize on me. It turned brownish, smelled off and tasted as brown as it looked.

Hope that description helps.

I racked ,but on the last 3 bottles I was picking up alot of lees ,I hated to do that .. My idea is to add about 3" of lager diameter hose to the suction side, the thinking is with a larger opening the hose will have less vacumn pressure when close to the lees. you will be able to get closer to the lees without sucking them in... I marked the last 3 bottles and will see how the sediment will effect taste or clarity , hoping they will drop to the bottom and stick like beer does

I've had some Reisling oxidize on me. It turned brownish, smelled off and tasted as brown as it looked.

Hope that description helps.

It helps, but my watermelon wine is just as red as it was when I bottled it, but it still tastes like crap. Thanks, I know that brown, like when cast iron and fruit meet....

MzAnnie said:
It helps, but my watermelon wine is just as red as it was when I bottled it, but it still tastes like crap. Thanks, I know that brown, like when cast iron and fruit meet....

MzAnnie...when you pour into a glass and then hold the glass of wine up to a white background, like paper directly behind wine glass, and tilt the wine...you would hope to see a clear area on the outer aspect of the wine and then it blends to the true color of the wine. If oxidized, the outer ring as I call it has a brown tint to it.
The bad taste...simply may be a matter of aging needed. When your hibiscus is ready, try a blend with watermelon. The fact that your watermelon did not spoil is great.

MzAnnie...when you pour into a glass and then hold the glass of wine up to a white background, like paper directly behind wine glass, and tilt the wine...you would hope to see a clear area on the outer aspect of the wine and then it blends to the true color of the wine. If oxidized, the outer ring as I call it has a brown tint to it.
The bad taste...simply may be a matter of aging needed. When your hibiscus is ready, try a blend with watermelon. The fact that your watermelon did not spoil is great.

You Rock, I will try that, thanks!!!

Back