Sour Crotch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peets

Reaction score
SOUR CROTCH
Specialty/Sour
11.6% ABV .... .

MALT BILL

% LB OZ Malt or Fermentable
21% 5 0 American Munich
13% 3 0 Belgian CaraVienne
13% 3 0 Belgian Black Roast
8% 2 0 Belgian Biscuit Malt
8% 2 0 Briess Cherrywood Smoke Malt
8% 2 0 Gambrinus Honey Malt
8% 2 0 American Black Barley
4% 1 0 American Six-row Pale
4% 1 0 Acidulated Malt
4% 1 0 Barley, Raw
4% 1 0 Carafoam
4% 1 0 Belgian Caramel Pils

HOP BILL
use time oz variety form
boil 60 mins 1.0 Hersbrucker pellet
boil 50 mins 0.25 Green Bullet pellet
boil 45 mins 1.25 Goldings, East Kent pellet
boil 35 mins 0.5 Hallertau pellet

YEAST(s)
Belgian Ale No.3 info
[ale yeast in liquid form with medium flocculation]
Brettanomyces Claussenii=supplemental, like the Damnosous
Pediococcus Damnosus=secondary

MISCELLANEOUS INGREDIENTS
use time amount ingredient
boil 55 min 2.5 ounces Cranberries, Fresh
boil 60 min 1 ounces Grapes, Zinfandel
boil 40 min 1 ounces Labrador Tea
boil 35 min 1 ounces Orange Peel, Bitter
boil 35 min 1 ounces Licorice Stick
boil 30 min 1 ounces Licorice Root
boil 15 min 1 ounces Irish Moss
boil 10 min 1 ounces Black Currant
boil 5 min 8.5 ounces Cherries (any demographic)
boil 1 min 5 ounces Grapefruit (meat is preferred to zest)
boil 1 min .75 ounces Durian
primary: 1 tsp Pectin Enzyme (10 days)
secondary: 2 ounces Oak Chips, Port Soaked (35 days)
secondary 1 ounces Pectin Enzyme (40 days)
secondary: 6 ounces Rasberries (32 days)
secondary: 6 liquid ounces Black Cherry/Licorice Combo Extract
(60 days)

Thrown-in 1oz. Port-soaked oak cubes; take them out on the 30-35th day. Let sit for another 28 days. Belgian No.3 is for Primary, while the Brettonamyces and Pediococcus is reserved for Secondary. Use good use of it.

MASH-TYPE
Protein Rest at 133 °F for 20 mins infusion of 6 gal
Conversion / Saccharification Rest at 154 °F for 60 mins infusion of 2.8 gal
Mash-out at 167 °F for 15 mins infusion of 2.93 gal

Any tasting notes or a picture of it in the glass? I'm curious about this one since there's a lot going on. Also, where do I get "Belgian Ale No.3"? Never heard of it...

Hell yeah.....

I'm blown away that this recipe has sat here with only 2 comments in over a year. Color me intrigued.

Braufguss has the understatement of the year with "there is a lot going on here". Peets, what was the inspiration for this recipe? Updates?

Wow, I had never seen this recipe. It is probably either epically awesome or epically horrible. I am guessing the later. Durian? Really?

Durian? Really?

Whoa, I wasn't familiar with Durian, but according to wikipedia:

The edible flesh emits a distinctive odour, strong and penetrating even when the husk is intact. Some people regard the durian as fragrant; others find the aroma overpowering and offensive. The smell evokes reactions from deep appreciation to intense disgust, and has been described variously as almonds, rotten onions, turpentine and gym socks. The odour has led to the fruit's banishment from certain hotels and public transportation in southeast Asia.

Durian? I have only seen that stuff on TV. For all accounts it is the Lemberger cheese of fruits. I have never seen it any where in the Midwest or Southeast (US)

I'm here looking for a genuine sour recipe, and let me tell you there's not much to choose from. Then I come across this nightmare. So I look at the threads started by Peets and she has another equally weird recipe. The 60s weren't good to you were they Peets?

I'm not sure what I'm more curious about: whether this was a purposefully-designed recipe or whether someone just happened to have all these items on hand to throw together kitchen-sink style

Definitely the latter. For example the acid malt. There's no way you would need acid malt when you have that many specialty grains - crystal, roasted etc. definitely a Frankenbrew

In my book this Peets guy may be the most interesting man on earth. Although I wouldn't want him to know where I live. After that mess of a recipe he slips in a fruit with the following positive review:

"while a lover of durian, relates his encounter with the fruit as thus: "Its taste can only be described as...indescribable, something you will either love or despise. ...Your breath will smell as if you'd been French-kissing your dead grandmother."

Whoa....:drunk: This has to be a witty joke on all the sour beer snobs.

PitchnGrin said:
In my book this Peets guy may be the most interesting man on earth. Although I wouldn't want him to know where I live. After that mess of a recipe he slips in a fruit with the following positive review:

"while a lover of durian, relates his encounter with the fruit as thus: "Its taste can only be described as...indescribable, something you will either love or despise. ...Your breath will smell as if you'd been French-kissing your dead grandmother."

Whoa....:drunk: This has to be a witty joke on all the sour beer snobs.

That is the best description ever.

bellmtbbq said:
Wait this recipe is insane

What makes you say that? The Labrador?

image-3184909315.jpg

Back