Is this a good crush?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inkman15

Reaction score
My last batch ended up with a very poor OG and clearly that was due to temperature or quality of my grain crush. I bought a new thermometer, which should take that variable out of the picture but I'm still getting my grains from the same place. I just picked up some more for another batch I'm hoping to do either today or next week. How does this look? I can add more photos if needed:

photo.jpg

photo2.jpg

Looks like I'm seeing more than a few uncracked grains in there that are still in their hull/husk. I'd certainly want a bit finer of a crush than that. If possible I'd rccomend running it through a mill again. Either that or just expect to have lower gravity than what you're shooting for.

Yea, that looks really coarse. I'd go finer in the future. Do you know what the gap is set at? My local shop is set at 35 thousandths, but since I BIAB, I ask them to turn it down to 25 thousandths.

Back