Show us your Milling Station

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Padstack31

Reaction score
So I've decided to get off my ass and finally finish building my milling station. I bought most of the pieces (motor, sheaves, belt, mill, etc...) about 9 months ago but i just moved and it's just fallen down on my priority list.

I have a pretty good idea of what I'm hoping to build but I did want to throw up a post and see if anyone had any pics of what they have built.

I've seen the the main threads that are part of the project locater sticky but I still wanted to see if anyone else had a pic to throw up.

IMG_1236.jpg

I love it because it is completely portable so I don't have a big table taking up my precious limited space and I can also tote it around to group brews. I set it up so I can even fold the motor into the mill and it gets compact enough to set on the seat of the car quite easily. When it comes time to mill I just set it right on top of my 10 gal rubbermaid cooler/mashtun and mill right into it, this keeps all the dust in the cooler so it can get converted instead of floating around the garage making me sneeze. Motorizing it is one of the best improvements I have ever made to my brew house.

I need to finish it. it will have a SS guard. not sure about the hopper. I have a temp. from my old station I can use until I figure it out.

October_08_036.jpg

October_08_033.jpg

October_08_032.jpg

2155117149_61995ecc67.jpg

My hopper mod to a fixed gap JSP Maltmill.

2173732211_e6d57a43b1.jpg

The station. The pump and chiller were removed shortly after the photo was taken after I realized my error and the potential for lacto infections.

I have plans to mont the motor this weekend to make the system hands free. I'll be gutting a trolling motor for the motor and speed controls. I haven't decided whether or not I'll keep running the motor off of a battery or wire it to the battery charger I have for the boat batteries.

More to come I spose'.

Needs a little detailing, I suppose, but I don't expect to see it happen any time soon.

10-25-08_240.jpg

They are Lovejoy couplers. McMaster-Carr.

You have to select each half separately, based on each shaft's size. Then you get a spider to join each half. It is just a buna or urethane star-looking thing.

IIRC, I got everything for under $15; with one of each type of spider material.

I can send you the part numbers/pages when I get home tonight. Headed out to SWMBO's Vegas-Night type Christmas Party. If I can't get back here tonight to post it, it may have to wait for tomorrow. :mug:

I finally get to add some thing to this thread.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywnDeYCKtNw]Motorized Barley Crusher grain milling station - YouTube[/ame]

I took home a crate that a water meter was shipped in. and had been using it to set my mash tun on. well I have now converted it into my milling station.

-=Jason=-

Here's mine. Had the usual high learning curve despite a ass ton of reading about how to's. If you buy a 3 roller mill, get more torque. I'd also only buy a motor on ebay that you can read specs off of the actual sticker on the motor. Sellers sometimes get these wrong. Also, get a gap tool if you don't already have one.

I really love having a mill, though.

8bf78c68.jpg

Back