Syracuse, ny - round 6 group grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oh that is good news.

Tentative interest:

mparsons - 5
twogunz - 5
cidahmastah - 2-4
Rustbucket - At least 5
Copyright - ?? I thought Copyright said something crazy like 10?!

Rust - the salmon was very good. It has some "salmon nuances" to it but it was way more neutral in flavor (compared to your everyday saltwater salmon). I would say it is more along the lines of tasting like trout, with a tinge of salmon. But very neutral in flavor. Great firm flesh and will take on whatever seasoning you like.

I did my 4 Seas seasoning (Cumin, Coriander, Curry, Cayenne) -get the play on words Four Seas; 4 "C's"- and salt and a touch of pepper of course

that sounds good.. i have yet to try any.. But thats good that it isnt a "fishy" taste so would you say you like it better than you typical salt water or do you like the salt water better?

the wife surprised by it?

if these are in good condition and if the prices is like 15/each ill prob buy 10 or so... (leave it at i wont spent more than 150-200) so depending on the price is how many i get...

For $25/each I would go for 4 if one of you nice Syracuse guys would be able to store them for me until either the group buy or when I can get to the area (maybe around Christmas at the soonest).

For $35 I will pass. Too close to the LHBS price where I have recourse if it leaks, etc. Plus, I don't want to reward stupidity and greed (on the part of the seller)...already feeling that $25/each for a large quantity (e.g. quantity 50) would bee too high.

that sounds good.. i have yet to try any.. But thats good that it isnt a "fishy" taste so would you say you like it better than you typical salt water or do you like the salt water better?

the wife surprised by it?

if these are in good condition and if the prices is like 15/each ill prob buy 10 or so... (leave it at i wont spent more than 150-200) so depending on the price is how many i get...

I wouldn't say better or worse on the fish, just different. Side by side you wouldn't think the freshwater is salmon when compared to salt water salmon. But a tasty fish for sure

For $25/each I would go for 4 if one of you nice Syracuse guys would be able to store them for me until either the group buy or when I can get to the area (maybe around Christmas at the soonest).

For $35 I will pass. Too close to the LHBS price where I have recourse if it leaks, etc. Plus, I don't want to reward stupidity and greed (on the part of the seller)...already feeling that $25/each for a large quantity (e.g. quantity 50) would bee too high.

I agree with this too. He shouldn't be rewarded a great price (for him) if we buy a bunch of them and pick them up. If we buy quantity he should adjust the price. But then again he could just want to hold them...

This thread is gonna be huge by the time the grain order really kicks in.

BTW... Put me down for a bag of MO! LOL - I'm outa control!!!!

well, id say contact him figure out if he is willing to negotiate, if not then leave it as is... we really dont know what will happen until we really know.... i would say before we even really consider all these kegs and get our hopes all hyphened up we figure out what the deal is.

if there is a good deal then we should start considering how many we need... i told my buddy about this and he said if its worth it he would be in for quite a few as well...

If you dont think 25 is fair we can just forget it... He obviously doesn't need to sell them.

Mparsons327 - I wasn't trying to piss on the parade so to speak. $25 for one is a decent deal, assuming they hold pressure.

Individuals are funny when it comes to business. Maybe he thinks he can sell them for $35 each. (Maybe he can, but it will take a long time, and will be one/two at a time and TIME is MONEY. Maybe he paid more than I think (I doubt it). Who knows? All you have to do to see how people's emotions screw up their business judgment is to look at the real estate market, where a property can sit for a long time because the owner isn't looking at things realistically.

One thing I've learned the hard way in buying/selling stock is that what you paid, whether you made money or lost money up to now is completely irrelevant. The only thing that matters is FROM now, what is likely to happen and how can you control risk. Period.

So, back to the kegs. :D

I paid $20/each for non-reconditioned kegs earlier this year (August). For a set of 4, I can get re-conditioned kegs for $150 (so $37.50 each). This is from a dealer on homebrewtalk, who lives in the Pittsburgh area (which I visit a few times a year to see family, thus no shipping cost.) So, if I get 4 working kegs for $100 it's not so bad.

If it's ok with you, maybe would should continue to collect interest (given a $25 price point), but before going to him we could collectively look around to see if anyplace will match/better it?

Sorry if I sounded like I was getting pissed! I didn't mean it like that at all. I personally have more hobbies than I can afford so I like to do things as cheaply as possible. He has agreed to $25 as of right now but I haven't stopped negotiating! When I stopped talking with him I said o would talk to everyone else. I just want to make sure there is interest before I try to lower the price more. Ultimately I want to get them for 15 - 20 per keg! That being said if he doesn't work with us on the price I will take 5. If we can get them for less I'm in for 10+. I will not accept anything less than kegs that work at 100% so don't worry! If this happens every keg will be personally inspected by me and hopefully one of you!

Yeah - mparsons - $25 is a good deal. I was saying that if he charges 35 unless 100 are sold then that is crap given the fact that we will be picking them up from him onsite and will incur cost to do so. If enough folks get in on this though - the cost to get them up to cuse and similar will be well worth it.

I appreciate that you let us all in on this one, whether it works out or not.

I am like you, have too many hobbies and looking to save a buck where ever and whenever I can... thus why I started the grain buys ;)

Again, I appreciate all the work you and everyone else that are involved in the group buy do! Just trying to help out any way that I can! The guy they has the kegs also owns an ice business so I guess he just doesn't need the money... I however am very persistent and he will probably lower the price just to get rid of me!

Again, I appreciate all the work you and everyone else that are involved in the group buy do! Just trying to help out any way that I can! The guy they has the kegs also owns an ice business so I guess he just doesn't need the money... I however am very persistent and he will probably lower the price just to get rid of me!

Haha - now that is what I like to hear! :D

I would take 5 if the price is 25. If the price dips to 15 I would take another 5. This is assuming they are in decent shape. If I get one bad keg it negates the savings...

Interest at $25 bucks per

jbsengineer - 5 (10)
mparsons - 5 ()
twogunz - 5 ()
cidahmastah - 2-4 (4-6)
Rustbucket - 10 (15)
Copyright - 4 (10)
jhenderson - 2-3 (5)
So we are right at about 30 requested so far. Keep em coming guys

put me down for 5 and a buddy down for me at 5 so total of 10 or a breakdown if you want of 5 and 5. (i may want more depending)

Hey guys,

I had some free time so I put together a google doc's spreadsheet for doing grain buys. My idea is to have a centrally located document online so that each person who wants to join the grain buy can manually enter grains/splits themselves and free Cidah from manually tracking requests in the forum. The thought is to make it a little easier on him for these buys.

This spreadsheet is not yet in use yet (and may never be). Its up to Cidah if we wants to go this direction. I just wanted to show it to the group to get a feel if this is even attractive to you guys.

My current thought is to have trusted buyers manually added to the access list of this sheet (so that random people cant screw it all up). Once you have access, you go in and add bags to your order and/or access splits. The sheet is mostly automated and only white backgrounded cells are supposed to be edited by buyers. I wanted to force protection on grayed cells, but google docs doesn't support this so be careful.

I loaded up the current list of grain/chemicals from this buy to just give you an idea of how it would work. Sheet 1 is editable by buyers, the pricing sheets will be controlled by Cidah or I.

Non-Editable version for people to see:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvGGgq4iC1v4dERNSWlNMnJuamVvUENtekEwcFlXbXc

Again THIS IS ONLY A DEMO AND NOT THE ACTUAL BUY SHEET.

Let me know what you think.

Jeff B

Hey Jeff could you throw up a quick sheet like this for the kegs for people to fill out?

Have a column for buy amount at $25 and buy amount at $15?

Let's give it a beta run! Onece you post the link I will put it on Post Number 2 and people can add in their keg interest.

Interest at $25 bucks per (interest at $15 per)

jbsengineer - 5 (10)
mparsons - 5 (10)
twogunz - 5 ()
cidahmastah - 2-4 (4-6)
Rustbucket - 10 (15)
Copyright - 4 (10)
jhenderson - 2-3 (5)
FL Brewer - 2 (4)

@25 = ~40
@15 = ~60

Hey guys,

I had some free time so I put together a google doc's spreadsheet for doing grain buys. My idea is to have a centrally located document online so that each person who wants to join the grain buy can manually enter grains/splits themselves and free Cidah from manually tracking requests in the forum. The thought is to make it a little easier on him for these buys.

This spreadsheet is not yet in use yet (and may never be). Its up to Cidah if we wants to go this direction. I just wanted to show it to the group to get a feel if this is even attractive to you guys.

My current thought is to have trusted buyers manually added to the access list of this sheet (so that random people cant screw it all up). Once you have access, you go in and add bags to your order and/or access splits. The sheet is mostly automated and only white backgrounded cells are supposed to be edited by buyers. I wanted to force protection on grayed cells, but google docs doesn't support this so be careful.

I loaded up the current list of grain/chemicals from this buy to just give you an idea of how it would work. Sheet 1 is editable by buyers, the pricing sheets will be controlled by Cidah or I.

Non-Editable version for people to see:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvGGgq4iC1v4dERNSWlNMnJuamVvUENtekEwcFlXbXc

Again THIS IS ONLY A DEMO AND NOT THE ACTUAL BUY SHEET.

Let me know what you think.

Jeff B

By the way Jeff - I like this sheet for keep track and we can try to do so. I still will have my sheet on the back end (for getting cost out of things). But we could give this a try if you want to set up a live copy.

When you add something to the sheet please do post what you have added (after Jeff makes this live). It stimulates the buy and also lets people know about splits you have added, etc.

Count me in for 2 kegs @ $25, (In respectable condition). Possibly more if the price gets cheaper (up to 4). Also, count on me for some gas money if I can get a pick up pretty much anywhere in the Rochester, Syracuse, or Utica areas.

I will be adding some grain at some point too. Thanks

Good to see you back FL brewer - I updated both your and mparsons request on post #63. You probably saw the notes for this order, but this order will be 2 pallets and going out in the spring (unless some strange circumstances occur).

Judging by post 63, we are getting up there in strength!

@25 = ~40
@15 = ~60

By the way Jeff - I like this sheet for keep track and we can try to do so. I still will have my sheet on the back end (for getting cost out of things). But we could give this a try if you want to set up a live copy.

When you add something to the sheet please do post what you have added (after Jeff makes this live). It stimulates the buy and also lets people know about splits you have added, etc.

Cidah,

The sheet is now live. I opened it up to anyone for editing. If we have problems with people messing with it then I will restrict access by requesting for email addresses.

:rockin:

Jeff B

OK all the links for adding grain in are posted on post #1 and post #2.

ORDER ENTRY

We are trying an order entry sheet this time around. Please click on this link and you can put in your order here. If you have questions please let me know.

When you add something to the sheet please do post what you have added. It stimulates the buy and also lets people know about splits you have added, etc.

Jeff - I noticed that some of the bags don't have values in them yet (they don't reflect price based on the price per lb). I am not sure how you are calculating the estimated cost, but you will have the arduous task of updating the price per bag by the lb. i.e. non domestic grain bags are 55lbs and domestic are 50lbs. Then you will have to input the price per lb for the 4000lb+ bracket. No rush, just letting you know.

Risk with that is of course, if you miss a bag as it comes in people may think they are spending way less than they actually are if a new bag is missed.

Thanks!

OK all the links for adding grain in are posted on post #1 and post #2.

ORDER ENTRY

We are trying an order entry sheet this time around. Please click on this link and you can put in your order here. If you have questions please let me know.

When you add something to the sheet please do post what you have added. It stimulates the buy and also lets people know about splits you have added, etc.

Jeff - I noticed that some of the bags don't have values in them yet (they don't reflect price based on the price per lb). I am not sure how you are calculating the estimated cost, but you will have the arduous task of updating the price per bag by the lb. i.e. non domestic grain bags are 55lbs and domestic are 50lbs. Then you will have to input the price per lb for the 4000lb+ bracket. No rush, just letting you know.

Risk with that is of course, if you miss a bag as it comes in people may think they are spending way less than they actually are if a new bag is missed.

Thanks!

Yeah, as bags are added I will update pricing on the locked sheets (pricing sheets) if it isnt already there. It wont be too hard. How much should I put in for estimated shipping? Right now I have $5/bag. Or should I bump it up to $6 to be safe?

Jeff B

Yeah, as bags are added I will update pricing on the locked sheets (pricing sheets) if it isnt already there. It wont be too hard. How much should I put in for estimated shipping? Right now I have $5/bag. Or should I bump it up to $6 to be safe?

Jeff B

eh put it at $6 just to (hopefully) be on the plus side.

- yeah shouldn't be too bad - I was just giving the disclaimer to folks that it might not be accurate yet :D

Twogunz - Just ordered my Ranco (one stage) - for my second fermentation chamber.

Man I will have some great new toys to play with with the upcoming taps and tower I just bought too (Mparsons - I decided to keep my current tower and bought another one from KC. As I grow into more taps I might try my hand at adding a third facuet tot he dual tower by cutting a hole with a greenlee; for now I will be happy with 4 regular and one stout!). Will be a hell of a thanksgiving :)

eh put it at $6 just to (hopefully) be on the plus side.

- yeah shouldn't be too bad - I was just giving the disclaimer to folks that it might not be accurate yet :D

Twogunz - Just ordered my Ranco (one stage) - for my second fermentation chamber.

Man I will have some great new toys to play with with the upcoming taps and tower I just bought too (Mparsons - I decided to keep my current tower and bought another one from KC. As I grow into more taps I might try my hand at adding a third facuet tot he dual tower by cutting a hole with a greenlee; for now I will be happy with 4 regular and one stout!). Will be a hell of a thanksgiving :)

Updated with some more pricing, and shipping at $6. Also note that estimated pricing is only updated for each person when the split is closed.

Jeff B

Added to the order:

1x BD-MOPA
1x CM-2ROW

Opened split:
GW-C60 1/4 split
BD-RSTB 1/4 split
GP-RICE (HULLS) 1/3 split

Added 1 CM-2ROW and 1 TF-MOPA for myself. More to come before spring, right now trying to assess everything I have.

I hear that. I already know I will need several more bags... just depends on "what" those bags are :D

Back