Blackberry wine question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onimaru

Reaction score
So a friend has a bunch of blackberry bushes on his property and he let me pick some, a bunch for my aunt to make jelly with and some for me to make some wine.
In my haste I went ahead and juiced the berries strained out the seeds and pulp then finally froze the juice until I have the rest of the ingredients I need to get started.

After putting away the juice I got online and started to look for recipes and to my dismay it seems all the ones I can find call for berries by the Lbs. So here I am with a quart of pure blackberry juice in the freezer and no idea how to relate that to whole berries, I'm the kind of guy that likes to follow recipes with the exactness of a chemist :D so I don't want to just wing it and end up with something that isn't the result the recipe would normally yield.

I'm only looking to make a one gallon batch preferably as full bodied as possible, If somebody could help me out I'd appreciate it.

While I'm thinking about it will it hurt the juice to leave it frozen?
Thanks a million to anyone willing to help :ban:

No, frozen fruit is good - the yeast will break it down easier.

Are you planning to add water (more wine for less blackberries) or not? I would imagine the best wine would just be pure blackberry juice with added sugar and yeast. That's what I plan to do too.

Otherwise if your LHBS sells Grape Concentrate you could add some of that in, or raisins. They will both add more sugar and fruit flavour. Failing that you could buy a couple of cans of tinned blackberries from a supermarket. A quart doesn't sound like a lot imo...

I'm glad I didn't screw up freezing it.

I was hoping I wouldn't need to add very much if any water at all, Unfortunately it seems there isn't a LHBS in my area the only one I could find online seems to have closed some time ago :( (if someone could suggest a reputable online dealer that would be awesome)

I'd prefer to add as few fillers as possible since I want it to taste as much like blackberries as it can but that might be the way to go if all else fails. The main thing I'm trying to figure out is how to substitute the juice for the berries without throwing off the recipes proportions. Or in simple terms how many Lbs of berries equals how much juice.

It takes approximately three and a half pounds of blackberries to make 1 quart of juice. You could make a light bodied gallon with that but you will have to add water and sugar. I would make either the Blackberry-Grape (1st choice) or the Blackberry-Blueberry (2nd choice) recipe from this site...

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/blackbr2.asp

I made some light bodied Blueberry wine with 3.5 pounds of blueberries per gallon and was dissapointed with the body of the wine - it just wasn't enough to carry the high alcohol content. I always shoot for 1.090 starting gravity with wine.

Ok so I finally used the blackberry juice and topped it off with hand squeezed black grape juice, It's in the primary bubbling away. Can't wait until it's ready to drink :D

Back