Gluten Free Starter for Yeast Harvesting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cstarner

Reaction score
Trying to come up with a fermentable source to harvest and grow some yeast from a DFH Squall IPA bottle. Was planning on doing several stages to build up some yeast for a GF 60 minute IPA recipe I have planned but not sure what to use.

I don't want to buy 3 lb of sorghum syrup so I'm thinking either brown rice syrup, molasses, honey, etc. What do you guys think will work the best for this?

Thinking of using just a little bit of brown rice syrup and adding some yeast nutrient.

I would use either sorghum extract or rice syrup with some yeast nutrient.

I've considered buying a bag of dry sorghum extract just so I can have it on hand to use for things like starters...

look up a recipe for PDA (potato dextrose agar- fungal growth medium- used by the big guys). essentially you boil sliced potatoes for about an hour, then you add some agar (from a healthfood store; solidifying agent). ive sourced some petri plates, but you can use pint mason jars. pour a thin layer of the media into your plate or mason jar. hit the top of the media with a quick blast from a flame to sterilize the top and pop any bubbles. replace the lid, let the media solidify and store inverted.
to inoculate the media, get a loop of wire and flame it until its glowing red hot. then let it cool briefly. dip the loop into what you want to culture and then streak the top of the media. replace the lid, store inverted at 68-70F. you should see colonies growing with in 24 hours. you have now isolated your own yeast.

as for a starter media, if you have any experience canning jams and jellies. Can some wort the next time you brew a batch, i usually can 1-3 quarts when i brew. so i have starter for the next batches. i found 1 quart can make 2 starters.

to make starters, when you have your yeast colonies isolated and your wort starter all made up. use you flamed loop and scrape up one of your colonies, trying not to collect any of the PDA media, then dip and mix it into your starter media. add an air lock and ta-da! starter inoculated, store at 70F for a few days. you can increase your concentrations of yeast in the starters if you acquire a stir plate and stir bar

ive though about packaging GF yeast strains and majon jars of starter to sell. so far i have isolated colonies of coopers ale, safeale, a whitelabs american heffewizen, and a lactobacillus (enroute).

Latest posts

Back