Syracuse, NY area - Group Grain Buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol, you should see the crap i ordered, once my mill was near complete, and i saw this thead im like IN!!!!!! so i made a schedule of potential brews for this year... (25 or so) and i jumped on it.

heres a pick of stuff i ordered (specialty stuff) some of it may get me through the entire year and the hops until july.

this was about 2 weeks ago

imgp40023.jpg

1 lb Briess cherry smoked malt
1 oz cacade whole
2 lb fawcett amber
19 lb red wheat malt
2 oz simcoe whole
4 oz Amarillo pellet
4 ozCentennial
4 oz Columbus
4 oz Warrior
4 oz Hallertau Mittlefruh
3 lb rice hulls
1 lb brown malt
11 lb maris otter
1 lb cacade pellet
6 lb vienna malt
3 lb munich
4 lb german pils
1 lb 90L
2 lb 60L
3 lb crapils
1 lb victory
1 lb 10L
1 lb 20L
3 lb flaked maze
2 new chrome faucets
whole bunch of keg connections

Bayou Classic SQ14
2 boxes of vacuum bags

not seen bunch of parts of bolts and wood for my three tier gravity brew stand

beer:
weihenstephaner - hefeweissbier
Rogue - Dead guy ale
Fullers - esb
Victory - yakima glory ale (black ipa)
Sierra nevada - bigfoot
Franziskaner - weissbier
dogfishead - indian brown ale
rogue - northwestern ale (deadliest catch)
Belhaven - wee heavy
paulaner - hefe-weizen

then already i have done two brews this past weekend
~barleywine and arrogant bastard clone

~ ordered also 6 rhizomes (3 cascade, and 3 Chinook)

its official i have to stop hanging around on here and reading these threads! need to work on my thesis.. :( rather read about beer!

Haha I thought I was getting too much stuff in the past couple weeks (sp10 burner, 30 qt pot, mill, buckets, hops, and other little stuff), but I see you've been more active!

But back to the topic for a second, I hope the last payment clears by tomorrow, I really can't wait to pick up the grain and start brewing

Rustbucket - your a good man, I don't care what anyone says about you - ha! You could be doing a lot worse things than brewing beer. (right now I am working on setting up an electric kettle). Unfortunately, I have some home rewiring to do!

I will check back with the K47K and see if it cleared today.

Hey guys - Order is in and the check has cleared. I expect that I will get the order in tomorrow evening (3/4/2011).

What next:

1. Once the order is in I have to check it to be sure that we received everything that we were supposed to.
2. Pending we are all set, you guys can come pick it up this weekend (just get in touch with me to tell me when).

Note: If you are hot to trot, you can come pick up your stuff Friday night (pending we are all good with delivery). I should be available for much of the weekend, but I do have a bday party to go to on Saturday, so I am not sure how long I will be there (or the time, just yet).

You guys have my phone number and my address, feel free to give me a call if need be.

Edit:

If you would like the malt analysis for our order I can email it to you - just let me know who wants it.

Thanks!

sounds good me me.. we'll plan out something to get my stuff.. im not in a rush to get it at the moment... i still have like 30 lbs of 2 row left..

lol cida, some people call my crazy for all of that, my mother did the other day... when i brewed my barleywine.. shes like "why are you making a beer that you cant even have for another 8 months?, thats just stupid"

once it gets warm out, ill be building my brew stand... i have all the wood and what not.. i just need the weather to be somewhat comfortable to work in.... so i can stain and finish the wood.

yup, hijacked the thread again.. haha

Sounds great! I'll get in contact with you very soon. I'm thinking I can make it out there over the weekend. If not, I can wait until some time during the week. I'll let you know though.

when was the order placed anyways. just curious on the turn around with delivery..

FarmerJoe, i split a bag of MO with you correct.. haha, im drawing a blank... how would you want to split the bag?, as well Cida do you have a scale for splitting or should i bring my little one that goes up to 7 lbs?

Oh yea, we did split on the MO. I also split a bag with cidah. I'll be taking up a couple of buckets to take my share of those. I forgot about a scale though lol. I don't have one, but I'll get one before I head out to pick up if I need to. Guess it depends if cidah has a scale or not.

we could use my house "people" bathroom scale (my little scale only goes to five lbs so it won;t work well for this). It weighs like 194.2 lbs for weight. It won't be the most accurate thing in the world but it will get darn close, enough to get us to about half each. If someone has something better then that is great too.

well, if your splitting it up between people, i would say that 5lb would be fine because you would have to put in some other type of vessel. so do in 5 lb increments. cuz of a 50-55 lb bag you would have 25 or 27.5 lbs if split. so you would only have to break it out 5-6 times on that scale. then the whats left should be the exact other half.

just a thought.

I don't mind using my digital 5 lb scale, it just would take 5 ish measurements for the split. I guess I am lazy. I was thinking that with the bathroom scale we hold a home depot bucket and stand on the scale. From there add grain to the bucket until we get to 27.5lbs + the weight of the person. perfectly scientific, no.

Either way works for me.

FarmerJoe and Ravio11i - just curious - are you bring containers to split with me (looked like farmerjoe was), or are you planning to leave with your half in the sack? I will see if I can grab some containers tomorrow - we will make do, just let me know what you were thinking.

lol, i would bring with me ravio, if i still had to commute to RIT... i dont have anymore classes so im here at home..

Yea I'm bringing a couple of homer buckets and probably another two 1-gallon sized bags because, from some slight research, there might be just a bit too much grain from splitting a 55# bag to fit in 1 bucket, so the bags will hold the rest.

Will it be ok with you if my two bags sit for a week? My delivery guy (who lives in Syr) is already in my area for the weekend so this week is shot, and I doubt he is going to be coming back untill next weekend. Will this work?
Brad

Rust-I figured as much, the quarter just ended and I thought I remembered you saying something about being done with classes.

Bmud-If you are in a hurry at all I can grab your grain and bring it to Henrietta...cuts out about half of your trip, well sorta since you'd normally have someone to bring it all the way to you. In a few months I'd just deliver it and hit up Oak Orchard for some fishing...but not when it's 20degrees out.

Cidah-I'm gonna need your addy and phone number, I don't think I have them.

Cheers,
Rav

sweet. i may have to come over there today just for something to do.... im sitting here home bored out of my mind...

ok cool - Order is good to go. One of the maris otter bags (TF) had about a handful of grain spill out since the sack top came unthreaded a bit. So I guess the last guy grabbing maris TF will miss out on a few ounces of the grain - sorry about that. I tied it with some rope (free of charge). I guess the last pick up gets it unless you guys want to go rock paper scissors for it.

The rest is good news. Everything is there and ready for pick up!

ok i got it, ill let you know when i get enough motivation to come and get the stuff.. :p haha, im just not in the mood to deal with some of the drivers around here.... hahaha

Hay - you think here is bad, When I lived downstate,... There were some special folks behind the wheel.... For sure

I might be able to pick mine up tomorrow early afternoon sometime if you will be avaliable.

I think i lost your contact info as well though.

Dann - pm sent

Just give me a quick call before you head over - I may be brewing tomorrow or running some errands. Bday party was canceled so I should be around all day.

Just a heads up:

CidahMastah - Picked up
stunsm - Picked up
El Exorcisto - Picked up
DannSchuler - Picked up
Ravio11i
FarmerJoe
bmud0314
Rustbucket
bierhaus15
Randy
Jason Jim

Just a heads up:

CidahMastah - Picked up
stunsm - Picked up
El Exorcisto - Picked up
DannSchuler - Picked up
bierhaus15 - Picked up
Randy - Picked up
Jason - Picked up
Jim - Picked up
Rustbucket - Picked up
Ravio11i - Picked up
FarmerJoe - Picked up
bmud0314

I built my mill after picking up the grain today. I followed most of the advice in the My Ugly Junk thread.

I have more tweaking to do to it, but it is working for now. The crush looks good enough.

Spent all day messing around with it, having to run back and forth to Home Depot and Sears.

I got the mill at Sunset on Erie Blvd for $46.

http://www.imagebam.com/image/5685eb122328051
http://www.imagebam.com/image/08367d122328062
http://www.imagebam.com/image/319ace122328074
http://www.imagebam.com/image/29bc0b122328082

Thanks again CidahMastah for setting this up. I probably would have spent a few more months thinking about building a mill and starting to crush my own if you didnt put this buy together.

Same here mr. Cidah, I'm trying to be there around 2pm as well, or right around that time.

EDIT: well maybe more like 3pm, got up a bit late after working over night.

I looks like this one worked to really well so far - thanks to all who participated!

I cranked out a double batch of arrogant with my buddy this weekend (nearly half a bag of 2row). Maybe I am going to need more grain after all! ha

That's one way to get through all that grain! Let me know how that turns out, it smelled great. I had a fun time getting back to Albany, got caught in that snow storm as soon as I hit the highway, it was like driving with a blindfold on and doubled the trip lol. But I got back safe, so it was worth it for the grain. Now time to get brewing in a day or 2

im brewing this weekend, i cant wait, that sucks farmerjoe.. i didnt even go outside yesterday. but, my car is still full of grain cuz im to lazy to pull it out right now.

Cidah, I will talk with the guy who is going to pick mine up. Pretty sure he is heading my way this weekend. Thanks again!

No sweat and no rush bmud.

Sorry about the stomr Farmerjoe. Hopefully we can get a good grain buy going on when there isn's so much stinkin snow on the ground.

Automated my corona (voctoria) for that grain crushing too. 5/16 #8 hex bolt and cranked out almost 30 lbs of grain. automation is a good thing. Thought I do need to make a more permenant "grind" station.

Back