Plastic yeast starter container?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
for a starter that would be fine. you don't need to worry about oxygen exposure when making a starter. you want the "beer" to oxidize, it makes the yeast's growth easier.

Thanks for the info. All of the instructions I have seen have specified glass, so I wasn't sure. I'd have to buy a glass container, and with shipping it wouldn't be worth it if I could just use a milk container.

Glass will be easier to clean. plastic can scratch which can harbor nasties. probably OK to use it a few times. but long term I would go with glass personally.

Plastic is fine for a starter. If you drink apple juice pick up a couple Martinelli's apple juice in the juice aisle. They are 1.5 ltr Glass and are great for starters.

I just use a glass bowl with sanitized foil over it. Also used gladware containers and empty juice jugs. I sanitize with star-san, or a run through the dishwasher to sterilize. As far as I'm concerned, a starter can go in anything you can keep clean for a day or two.

Disclaimer: only two of my beers are carbed and ready to drink, so maybe don't listen to me :p

I use a 2 qt mason jar. I put the lid on really loose so CO2 can escape, and I can screw the lid on tight to give it a swirl. It was like $3 I think from Michael's (AND NO I DON'T SHOP THERE USUALLY, I WAS WITH SWMBO)... I also use it for yeast washing.

Plastic is fine for a starter. If you drink apple juice pick up a couple Martinelli's apple juice in the juice aisle. They are 1.5 ltr Glass and are great for starters.

My martinelli's apple juice bottle cut 2 of my fingers to the bone last weekend. Caught it just as it hit the ground. I'm using all plastic for my starter jar from now on. I am currently using a plastic vinegar jug that I lightly bleached and sanitized.

I've been using a 3-liter PET soda bottle. What's nice about plastic is that you can squeeze out the CO2 and introduce more oxygen, as suggested by Graham Sanders..

I wouldn't bother with a glass vessel for a starter unless it was borosilicate (Pyrex), so it can go on the stove and into a water bath.

Back