my plan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jager

Reaction score
I just wanted to hear what you guys thought.

12lbs buckwheat honey
46oz Cabernet Sauvignon concentrate or Merlot
3gallons water

I'm looking for a FG of 1.020 to 1.030

yeast: One of the following as I already have them on hand: Uvaferm 43, or enoferm QA23, or Cotes De Blanc.

Aging will be done in a 4.5 gallon wooden barrel with a heavy toast. The time in the barrel will be determined by the taste.

I have made a streight buckwheat mead before and it came out very well, but it was a little flat, hense why I am thinking about including some grape conc.

Dave

Sounds like a nice melomel. Not knowing the sugar content of the concentrate, it's a little difficult to predict the residual sweetness. Some of the mead makers I know use lemon juice to add a tart note to their meads.

Are you planning on stepping the ferment or just adding all of the honey & concentrate at once?

Eventually, the yeast will hit the ABV wall & you'll be able to sweeten to taste. My blackberry melomel seems to have stopped at 1.018, which is sweeter than I like.

Latest posts

Back