Cabernet Sauvignon in the bucket!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
After reading all the health benefits of Red Wine (plus SWMBO drinks a glass almost every evening) I decided to giver it a whirl. I picked up a Vintners Reserve kit at AHBS today at lunch time. Pretty easy stuff. 6 gallons of red wine in the bucket.

I plan to keg it and put it next to my keggerator with one of these on it.
3790.jpg

I'll dispense it with my portable CO2 injector, which should work fine on dispensing and not carbing it I hope.

I will still have 1 gallon to bottle though.

FYI: if you have the space and inclination, you can get a tank of nitrogen gas and use that for your kegged wine. It won't add any bubbles to the wine, but will just provide you with serving pressure.

-walker

EdWort said:
After reading all the health benefits of Red Wine (plus SWMBO drinks a glass almost every evening) I decided to giver it a whirl. I picked up a Vintners Reserve kit at AHBS today at lunch time. Pretty easy stuff. 6 gallons of red wine in the bucket.

I plan to keg it and put it next to my keggerator with one of these on it.
3790.jpg

I'll dispense it with my portable CO2 injector, which should work fine on dispensing and not carbing it I hope.

I will still have 1 gallon to bottle though.

Walker-san said:
FYI: if you have the space and inclination, you can get a tank of nitrogen gas and use that for your kegged wine. It won't add any bubbles to the wine, but will just provide you with serving pressure.

-walker

Do they have nitrogen in the 12 gram cylinders?

I figure a short burst every now and then should keep the wine from oxidizing and provide some dispensing pressure.

You may want to rethink the kegging idea. ANY sort of detectable carbonation in a red wine is not a positive thing. Most of us wine makers go to extreme lengths to de-carbonise our wines.

Look for a gravity feed system which dispenses from collapsible mylar or plastic bags.

Actually, flyin lion hit the nail on the head. Morebeer.com sells nitrogen cartridges that will fit my mini CO2 injector. According to them, the nitrogen won't be absorbed so it can dispense without carbonating. Whoo Hoo.

Update! I have fermentation already! Whoo Hoo!

That's good news all around, as some of us might use those for an occasional stout instead of the big investment into a large bottle. :mug:

Back